Academy Thread 21/22

Shadowplay

24 minutes ago, Jram said:

He’s the most talented player we’ve got

What exactly is ‘talent’?

Is it scoring? Creating? Stopping? Beating players? Individual moments that win games?

Id see it as the ability to make quick, clear, concise, correct decisions at the right time….more often than not….added to the ability to perform difficult tasks and make them look easy with frequent regularity…..

Sibley has individual talent and an ability to strike a ball cleanly and consistently in front of goal under pressure. Yes he has talent. However his ability to make good decisions for the benefit of his team is quite poor for his experience and his discipline to defend and position himself defensively to be contributing out of possession is also very very poor. So is he our MOST talented? 

I’d imagine it’s this that last preventing WR from feeling comfortable picking him as a starter in this current side….especially given that we are currently a very very functional pragmatic side with a pattern of play that involves all players being defensively proficient.

Edited by Ravabeerbelly

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

That isn't the case. But yet you expect a 'young inexperienced player' to be a consistent performer?

Read my posts again, for cannot understand why you have put that comment up,  no one supports the academy young lads more than me, no i do not go to the games for i do not live in Derbyshire and my legs are not good.

Sibley to become a consistent performer will need to play in his position on a regular basis and if this happens he will become an outstanding player, hopefuly at Derby.

4 minutes ago, SirBrian said:

Sibley to become a consistent performer will need to play in his position on a regular basis

Why should Sibley be afforded that luxury and why should that be necessary in order for him to become consistent?

I watch most of the 23s games and nearly all the first team games including pre season and as a comparison only, for the 23s I’ve seen Hutchinson play as a deep midfielder, a no 10, off the left wing and off the right wing. For the first team in pre season he played left and right wing against Salford and Man U and against Notts County very deep….against Salford he started deep and then moved forward and against Sheffield Utd he was the pivot as a 4…..I’m not sure anyone else has been asked or expected to do that. Sibley plays in the front three midfield positions only. He should be more than capable of finding some consistency within that…he has more than enough ability to do so.

16 minutes ago, SirBrian said:

Read my posts again, for cannot understand why you have put that comment up,  no one supports the academy young lads more than me, no i do not go to the games for i do not live in Derbyshire and my legs are not good.

Sibley to become a consistent performer will need to play in his position on a regular basis and if this happens he will become an outstanding player, hopefuly at Derby.

Mate you can watch the Academy games on RamsTV, this isn't about who is a 'better fan'. Last u23 game prior to last night Sibs was anonymous. Last night he should have been in double figures ? 

Who is he going to play instead of in the 1st team?

4 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Sibley absolutely needs to be moved on for his own good. Regardless of the off-the-field issues, the current management staff don't trust him enough to play him in the first team despite being (for my money) the most talented player at the club by some distance. 

If he can get a good move to a decent team, perhaps we will eventually see the potential he has at a first team level. I genuinely hope we can find him a good home that will bring him on a lot better than we can. 

I get what you're saying, but it would be heartbreaking. We're going down. Sibley's stats don't look great at the moment. I wonder if that might let us somehow hang on to him so when Rooney goes by the end of the season, we might actually have a manager who believes in our most talented player, plays him in the right place and builds the team around him. You never know. Of course that's if we even have a club.

32 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I get what you're saying, but it would be heartbreaking. We're going down. Sibley's stats don't look great at the moment. I wonder if that might let us somehow hang on to him so when Rooney goes by the end of the season, we might actually have a manager who believes in our most talented player, plays him in the right place and builds the team around him. You never know. Of course that's if we even have a club.

I honestly see his best position in the long term being on the right. We have a lot of CMs who will be battling for those 3 positions and very few wide men. Looking at academy graduates only, Sibley and Knight become the obvious choices to play in the wide positions.

Academy XI ?

Foulkes
Festy   JBrown   Cashin   Buchanan
Tommo   Bird
Sibley   Hutchinson   Knight
Plange

Subs: Roberts, McDonald, Williams, Watson, Aghatise, Wilson, Stretton

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I honestly see his best position in the long term being on the right. We have a lot of CMs who will be battling for those 3 positions and very few wide men. Looking at academy graduates only, Sibley and Knight become the obvious choices to play in the wide positions.

Academy XI ?

Foulkes
Festy   JBrown   Cashin   Buchanan
Tommo   Bird
Sibley   Hutchinson   Knight
Plange

Subs: Roberts, McDonald, Williams, Watson, Aghatise, Wilson, Stretton

Surprised you haven't included Dixon in that squad, to me he always looks one of the best players.

• 2 weeks later...