Tom Lawrence (Bristol City)

Bristol City

Morning all, first of all good luck in your final game, I can’t say I’m surprised re Rooney but that’s for another thread.

Pearson has apparently suggested Tom Lawrence as one of our main targets (along with Adam Reach) to fill our void on the wing. It looks like we will be playing a 4231 / 433(?) if the past 10 games are anything to go by.

Any information on him/the transfer would be highly appreciated. For what it’s worth I don’t think we’d have a chance unless you went down or wanted to get shot, I thought he was quite good?

Again, best of luck on the final day!

Edited by Bristol City

7 minutes ago, Bristol City said:

Morning all, first of all good luck in your final game, I can’t say I’m surprised re Rooney but that’s for another thread.

Pearson has apparently suggested Tom Lawrence as one of our main targets (along with Adam Reach) to fill our void on the wing. It looks like we will be playing a 4231 / 433(?) if the past 10 games are anything to go by.

Any information on him/the transfer would be highly appreciated. For what it’s worth I don’t think we’d have a chance unless you went down or wanted to get shot, I thought he was quite good?

Again, best of luck on the final day!

One of us better drive him down as behind the wheel isn’t his strongest position.  If you like players with character who track back tirelessly to help the defence out whilst consistently providing a goal threat then maybe look elsewhere. You seem to like our ex players so can we suggest a buy one get 15 free deal? 

Just saw rules re sources, my bad.

27 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

One of us better drive him down as behind the wheel isn’t his strongest position.  If you like players with character who track back tirelessly to help the defence out whilst consistently providing a goal threat then maybe look elsewhere. You seem to like our ex players so can we suggest a buy one get 15 free deal? 

Honestly think I’d rather your squad than ours, excluding 3 flukes at the start of the season we’d be below you.

Lawrence is infuriating. There’s talent in there but he’s one of those that looks like he has a constant dialogue running through his brain like when we were kids. Lawrence takes the ball, he beats one man, he beats.... oh bugger.

When we get a free kick he thinks he has superhuman powers which will bend the ball seven different ways. In truth he usually punts it into the stand.

I hope Pearson is successful then we’ll take Reach.

As above, talented but frustrating, link makes sense seeing as Pearson had him at Leicester. His best season came when he was surrounded by top players in Mount & Wilson. Capable of scoring the odd worldy but make so many poor decisions in terms of when to pass and when to shoot.

Put it this way, he's more talented than Weimann but equally he's also more frustrating than Weimann. At least with Weimann you know what he can and can't do and he always looks like he's busting a gut for the team. With Lawrence you can't help but feel that there's something better in there, but in 4 seasons we've only seen it maybe 15-20 times.

If we go down we'll have to sell him as he'll be one of our highest earners, with 1 year left on his contract £2m should do it. If we stay up then I guess it depends who the manager is, whether they rate him, and if they do whether he will sign a new contract. 

I can't possibly give you an unbiased answer. I thought we overpaid for Lawrence when he signed and he's done nothing in his time here to suggest that I was wrong. He's an extremely petulant player, who does have skill, but very rarely uses it effectively.

I've just seen your thread on the Wednesday board where they've given similar answers about Reach. The fact of the matter is that neither of these players would be stuck at Championship clubs battling relegation if they were any good.

I think he'd be a good signing for most Championship clubs as a fresh start and change of scenery is exactly what he needs. We expected a lot more from him, but in his 4 years here he's lost his mother to cancer and struggled to cope with that, was involved in the drink driving incident shortly after, along with the rest of the team has had his wages not paid on numerous occasions and has had to read seemingly never-ending bad news stories about the club, Then add to that the fact he's played under 4 different managers with 4 differing styles and a (understandable) disconnect with the fans and I personally can understand and accept why he's struggled to find consistency. 

When things are going well for the team and Tom looks like he's enjoying his football he can be a cracking player to watch, but when things are going bad he can hide during games and get quite frustrated, but he's still capable of popping up with a moment of brilliance on rare occasions. 

Edited by Cam the Ram

1 hour ago, Bristol City said:

Honestly think I’d rather your squad than ours.

Not sure I agree but I appreciate the view of our squad from the outside. I wish other Derby fans on here who blame our players constantly would realise the players are better than there showing. It's our utter poo in charge that's the problem.

As for Lawrence, he'd be top player if he was played in the right way, and you'd probably get him for a bargain. His ability has been completely wasted the majority of the time he's been at Derby. If I was him I'd be on the way ASAP. 

You should go in for Jozwiak as well, similar situation as Lawrence. If a team could get the best out of them two on the wings, they'd get you in the play-offs easily.