Tactics!! This week: substitutions

IslandExile

In particular, that substitution.

So we give up the lead; we have poor players. But 2-1 down in a game we must get something from....

What does the manager do?

Take one of the two central defensive midfielders off?

One of the failing attackers?

Kazim-Richards was hampered by his injury. Waghorn had done nothing. Lawrence's only involvement was his header.

Our most dangerous - and hardest working - attacker was Jozwiak.

So who does the manager take off when we need to get back in the game?

Jozwiak!!!! WTF!!!! 

2050405593_babyFooty.gif.d845a1d35510e2166f0807099e6aecaf.gif

Yeah, yeah, yeah, poorest squad for years, this, that and the other.

But at least please use the tactics, including substitutions, that give us a freakin' chance.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Who's idea was into totally cede possession and stop closing them down as soon as we scored?

Yes, we're all too aware the players are poor. So that makes the tactics - and substitutions - so important.

Sky's analysts are currently blaming zonal marking for the first goal.

It's getting the point where I don't think it matters what substitutions are made after we go behind in a game. I don't think any of the coaches know what to in that situation. The players look completely lost when it happens. It's actually ridiculous. 

Just now, DCFClks said:

It's getting the point where I don't think it matters what substitutions are made after we go behind in a game. I don't think any of the coaches know what to in that situation. The players look completely lost when it happens. It's actually ridiculous. 

and why does he only ever make a sub as a reaction to us going behind. He is such a passive "coach" we need someone who's proactive and actually knows what they're doing. We need an attacking identity and style of play not someone who sets up to match whatever's in front of us.

To play devil's advocate, it's his first real game back after getting injured before the Preston game (discounting the 2 minutes against Birmingham). It might have been enforced due to lack of fitness.

I know this is a poorer squad than we've had in a long time, and that they seem to be completely on their knees confidence-wise, but Rooney's tactics and substitution decisions are usually still bewildering. Every match there's at least one 'WTF' moment (and there's usually many more than that). 

giphy-4.gif

4 minutes ago, JfR said:

To play devil's advocate, it's his first real game back after getting injured before the Preston game (discounting the 2 minutes against Birmingham). It might have been enforced due to lack of fitness.

Agreed.

But why leave Waghorn on and give Sibley 10 minutes? THAT is the real question here.

3 hours ago, JfR said:

maybe, but did he look like he was struggling?

I’m not a fan of Sky commentators in general, but Keith Andrews made a good point about bravery yesterday. CKR and Jozwiak were the only forward thinking players who wanted the ball yesterday.

Neither Lawrence or Waghorn showed any sort of bravery - far too much hiding. Waghorn (and you can assume that Rooney is happy with his approach) seems to think that running around near opposition players and pushing anyone within reach is what’s required.
As for Lawrence, so much ability but so little desire to make things happen. Similar with Roberts - kids got skill but doesn’t seem able to influence the game at all - consistently tries to make the clever pass rather than just move it on to one of his team mates…..

I haven’t got a clue what Rooney and his little gang are doing on the training pitch, but we have no proper structure, no tactics and when things go wrong he has no answers from the bench….. I’ve stopped being surprised by his decisions because I genuinely think he doesn’t have a clue what he’s doing….

I'm interested to know what is taught about marking. Either the coaching staff do not emphasise this or the players are naive or not capable of carrying out basics which they should know from Sunday League. Again, not getting tight on the opposition man cost us. Forsyth/Knight for first goal leaving man spare and Lawrence second goal. All players ball watching and realising too late. This has been a massive issue. 

Archived