Phwoar Saucey

abertawe_ram

Sauces and condiments. They can be a great source of joy and I couldn't see a thread for reviews, recommendations, discussion, so thought I'd give it a go.

Shout about your old favourites, new ones you've tried, weird discoveries you've stumbled across, etc.

Can be hot sauces that melt your tongue, bbq, sweet chilli, garlic herb, any flavours, any cuisine just

HIT ME WITH YOUR SAUCE TALK ?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To kick it off I've had a few different ones to try from Sauce Shop, the n******ham based producer recently:

Maple habanero drizzle -really tasty sauce only needs small amounts, has a slight sweet taste at first then a pretty significant heat that kicks you in the mouth. Too hot for my other half

Original BBQ - pretty good bbq sauce but nothing out of the ordinary, I'd prefer one with a bit more kick personally

Stuffing ketchup - this was part of a Christmas present and is surprisingly nice. Weird consistency but a nice flavour that I can't really describe very well but is tasty with cheese and crackers weirdly 

2 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I likes a bit of tartare sauce on me fish and horse radish sauce on me beef. The horse radish works well in the mash on a shepherds pie too. 

I used to love a bit of horseradish on my cheese sarnies!  My love for tartare sauce was reignited recently, had it with a scampi meal at the crewe and Harper recently. Not a sauce I ever have in at home though 

5 minutes ago, abertawe_ram said:

I used to love a bit of horseradish on my cheese sarnies!  My love for tartare sauce was reignited recently, had it with a scampi meal at the crewe and Harper recently. Not a sauce I ever have in at home though 

Will have to try the horseradish with cheese. Never had that. ?

1 hour ago, abertawe_ram said:

I love tartar sauce with scampi too, in fact I shall be having it in about an hour. Having said that, salad cream makes an excellent stand in if you are sans tartar.

54 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

WORCESTER SAUCE. Cheese on toast, any stew, I knew of an italian restaurant owner in Worcester (where else??) who added it to its special bolognese

Close the thread

Ok I'll carry on.... Ancona to lift and tang any exotic dished. Go easy it is evil.

It's Encona dammit! ?... Always use it to spice up a snack of beans on toast! x

sauce-hot-encona.jpg

9 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Sriracha on anything...

franks hot sauce is a good substitute 

Frank's and Tabasco tend to be the standard that I always have in ?

Can be added to pretty much anything to give it that extra bit of flavour without being too spicy for the more heat-sensative tastebuds

9 hours ago, RebelScum said:

It's Encona dammit! ?... Always use it to spice up a snack of beans on toast! x

sauce-hot-encona.jpg

I've only had this at turtle bay, quite a kick to it if I remember rightly!

The other one you get there that I enjoyed was Aunt May's Bajan (after a quick google)

56 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Nothing else needed for the weekend full english!

640x640.jpg

It gets the odd disapproving look but I actually like a small squirt of brown AND a small squirt of red on a breakfast cob!

If it's a plated fry up though I'm a red sauce man

My absolute favourite sauce (home made) is Zigeuner Sauce. We have this whenever we have Schnitzels (pork or chicken) but basically it works with just about anything...

Zigeuner Sauce a la Eddie

Ingredients

• ·        1 or 2 small onion, sliced and slivered
  • ·        1 small carrot, Julienne
  • ·        Half a red pepper, thinly sliced
  • ·        2 mushrooms, sliced
  • ·        1 teaspoon paprika, sweet
  • ·        Pinch of hot cayenne or red chilli powder to taste
  • ·        1 dessert spoon flour
  • ·        75 ml red wine
  • ·        1 tablespoon tomato puree
  • ·        150 ml chicken stock
  • ·        Salt and pepper to taste
  • ·        20 g butter or sunflower oil

Method

• ·        Fry onions in butter or oil until starting to brown
  • ·        Add mushrooms, fry for a further 2 minutes
  • ·        Add pepper and carrot, fry for a further 2 minutes
  • ·        Remove from heat temporarily
  • ·        Add spices, tomato puree and flour
  • ·        Add red wine
  • ·        Stir until flour dispersed then replace on heat and bring to boil
  • ·        Add chicken stock
  • ·        Add salt and pepper to taste
  • ·        Simmer until thickened
  • ·        Serve immediately (or cool, then microwave or re-heat)

Archived