Phwoar Saucey

abertawe_ram

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Will have to try the horseradish with cheese. Never had that. ?

Marmalade with a crumbly cheese like a Wensleydale or a white stilton. You will thank me.

Cheddar cheese with Christmas cake - off topic I know, but you will also thank me.

1 hour ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Quiz night fact. HP stands for Houses of Parliament.

Was originally called Gartons, based on a tamarind sauce he had when posted in India and called HP as they used to serve it in the cafeteria in, as you said, the Houses of Parliament. All the MPs used to call it Snotrag as it is Gartons backwards.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

As far as favourite bought sauces are concerned, these are nice...

Barons is the best hot pepper sauce for me - the West Indian hot sauce. The red one they do is a bit peppery for me (flavour not heat). But this one is the puppies privates.

image.thumb.png.5500945e661f97d34bfca5d12baf4a35.png

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

Marmalade with a crumbly cheese like a Wensleydale or a white stilton. You will thank me.

Cheddar cheese with Christmas cake - off topic I know, but you will also thank me.

I can see how the first one works but not too sure about the Christmas cake one.

However, I'll bow to your superior knowledge on that one as Christmas cake is difficult to get at this time of year.

10 hours ago, Eddie said:

My absolute favourite sauce (home made) is Zigeuner Sauce. We have this whenever we have Schnitzels (pork or chicken) but basically it works with just about anything...

Zigeuner Sauce a la Eddie

Ingredients

• ·        1 or 2 small onion, sliced and slivered
  • ·        1 small carrot, Julienne
  • ·        Half a red pepper, thinly sliced
  • ·        2 mushrooms, sliced
  • ·        1 teaspoon paprika, sweet
  • ·        Pinch of hot cayenne or red chilli powder to taste
  • ·        1 dessert spoon flour
  • ·        75 ml red wine
  • ·        1 tablespoon tomato puree
  • ·        150 ml chicken stock
  • ·        Salt and pepper to taste
  • ·        20 g butter or sunflower oil

Method

• ·        Fry onions in butter or oil until starting to brown
  • ·        Add mushrooms, fry for a further 2 minutes
  • ·        Add pepper and carrot, fry for a further 2 minutes
  • ·        Remove from heat temporarily
  • ·        Add spices, tomato puree and flour
  • ·        Add red wine
  • ·        Stir until flour dispersed then replace on heat and bring to boil
  • ·        Add chicken stock
  • ·        Add salt and pepper to taste
  • ·        Simmer until thickened
  • ·        Serve immediately (or cool, then microwave or re-heat)

Prima! I haven't thought about Schnitzel mit Zigeunersoße for a long time. Good memories of living in Germany ?

Bookmarked and I'll definitely be giving it a go at some point. I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out

My taste is fairly weak (opposite of a super taster) and I used to overdo sauces.  Cut down a lot recently to try and appreciate the food more. I think that sauces are often used to cover up average food.  I've also cut back on meat, but if I have a bacon sandwich, I try to buy a decent bit rather than the cheapest.

The ones I still have a lot of though as mustard (English and Djion), Tabasco and now Srichia (fairly recent discovery). The thing I miss most about less meat is lack of mustard opportunities!

Falafel and Hummous is amongst my favourite foods, and Tabasco on that is wonderful. Srichia on noodles/rice dishes is sublime too.

I've had Amba a few times too and is gorgeous. Think I'll have to make some as not seen it in the shops.

https://whatjewwannaeat.com/quick-amba-sauce-recipe/

3 hours ago, abertawe_ram said:

Prima! I haven't thought about Schnitzel mit Zigeunersoße for a long time. Good memories of living in Germany ?

Bookmarked and I'll definitely be giving it a go at some point. I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out

I got the recipe from my best mate Rudolf (Ron) Klein (half German, half Dutch) many years ago. It's just the best sauce I've ever tasted.

Got a few chili plants growing now (most are still seedlings, but some have been potted on). Some under LED grow lamps, some still in a propagator.

• African Bird Eye
  • Scotch Bonnet
  • Armageddon

and a couple of other milder varieties (e.g. Jalapeno). All indoors at the moment - the number of frosts we have had in April is just unreal, so I daren't move them outside yet. Going to try to germinate some Naga seeds over the next couple of weeks. These ones (Naga) are strictly house plants and will never be moved outside.

Archived