• one of the best young left backs around
  • matt Clarke back to his PoY best
  • a terrific young midfield talent
  • another Scottish midfield bryson
  • a Polish full international winger
  • a gem of a no9
  • a good management team
  • a production line of academy stars

so why are we getting smacked by Rotherham?

why are we fighting relegation?

We are fighting relegation because grit, determination and physicality can prevail. We have all this but some teams have more of it. We are generally poor at creating and converting chances so one goal is likely to beat us. We lack creativity in midfield and our breakaways are not quick enough. We still back pass too much. We need to be  a lot more forward thinking. We are not sure where the five new players will fit or whether they will bring significant improvement.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Most fans think we have 

• a good goalkeeper
  • a right back who is better than bogle
  • a gem of a no9
  • a good management team

Consequences of many decisions/actions made by Mel Morris over recent years. It's all finally catching up to us. 

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

We're playing catch-up since appointing Rooney. Can't believe that your statement is for real, check our form before Rooney was made manager and you might have the answer.

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We're playing catch-up since appointing Rooney. Can't believe that your statement is for real, check our form before Rooney was made manager and you might have the answer.

Totally concur with your answer to the second part of the question posed.

The answer to the first part isn't so clear cut. But the import of the question being asked is with all of the alleged talented players we have at our disposal why are we coming away from Rotherham with our behinds in our hands. 

...because Rotherham's strengths are a very good match for our weaknesses, and either we don't have the right players, or simply haven't figured out a way to combat that.

It reminds me of McClaren's 2013-2015 teams when a certain style of team could nullify us, and unless someone scored a 'worldie' (god I hate that term) we could draw a blank and throw it away at the other end with a defensive mistake. I wouldn't expect a rookie manager to do what an experienced one couldn't

People have hit the panic button looking at the results yesterday but if we'd have played and won we'd be 19th, 3 points clear and looking on to two winnable fixtures...

Now what we really need is Cardiff and Wycombe to do us a favour on Tuesday to keep things distant below

17 minutes ago, Coconut said:

It reminds me of McClaren's 2013-2015 teams when a certain style of team could nullify us, and unless someone scored a 'worldie' (god I hate that term) we could draw a blank and throw it away at the other end with a defensive mistake. I wouldn't expect a rookie manager to do what an experienced one couldn't

Which experienced manager are you specifically alluding to or are you just generalising. 

4 minutes ago, Sean said:

People have hit the panic button looking at the results yesterday but if we'd have played and won we'd be 19th, 3 points clear and looking on to two winnable fixtures...

Now what we really need is Cardiff and Wycombe to do us a favour on Tuesday to keep things distant below

If we had played winning was not the only possible outcome and to be honest rovrum was a winnable fixture

1 hour ago, Topram said:

Derby - should have a squad good enough but don’t beat teams around us, don’t score enough goals, we need to start picking up points and scoring goals and we will be ok!

We already are, 9 points from a possible 12.

38 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

The answer to the first part isn't so clear cut. But the import of the question being asked is with all of the alleged talented players we have at our disposal why are we coming away from Rotherham with our behinds in our hands. 

We haven't the depth of squad (maybe we have now) to put out players to be a bit more direct. We were 0-0 until 75 minutes - we had chances. I think the ref let them get away with un-necessary clashes, twice in about 10 minutes I saw a player leave his foot in in a challenge with Buchanan. The ref didn't deal with the physicality very well.

But we didn't lose because of their physicality - poor marking from a long freekick and then getting caught on the break. 

At the moment I’m reminded of the latter days of maxwell when we couldn’t sign any players and a team that had finished 5th not so long previously began to struggle badly.

I’m also reminded of the period under Phil brown when he brought in umpteen loan players, which is another sign of desperate measures and lack of funds. 

personally I think we have numerous problems which no-one will thank me for listing. A lack of creativity; a lack of proper wingers; no goal-scorer; lack of a dominant centre half. I think we over commit the full backs because of the lack of wingers, and therefore we end up vulnerable to the counter attack...it all ends up as plenty of endeavour but to little effect. We look at the work rate and think we are unlucky, whereas in reality we are not even close. The problems didn’t disappear with Cocu and his slow play. problems are hard wired into the whole set up. We have some good academy players but we don’t seem to know how to make the most of them. We don’t play Sibley. Whittaker got discarded. Bird is playing in a role that doesn’t suit him at all and Knight seems to be fading under the weight of additional responsibility. Making him captain is one of those daft decisions that gives me doubts about the management. Watch the huddle. The player geeing up the troops is CKR. There is your captain. Leaders emerge they are not appointed.

Hopefully Patrick roberts will give us a lift, but we won’t solve our problems without fresh recruitment. We really could have done with a bit of fresh investment in the January transfer window. Whiteman was on our doorstep with big Darren but we spent most of the window under an embargo, and in the end signed temporary players that nobody knows. 

We can look at the 9 points gained in the last 5 games and convince ourselves that that is mid-table form and we will be ok. But Sheffield Wednesday also got 9; Rotherham and Forest picked up 10, and qpr 12. Thankfully birmingham and Huddersfield are nose diving into trouble. Meanwhile silence from Mel.

28 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Which experienced manager are you specifically alluding to or are you just generalising. 

Steve McClaren

As good as we were in 2013/14 (and 2014/15 up to February) there were just some teams/styles of play we either couldn't cope against or failed to break down. If teams stopped us playing off Chris Martin they stood a good chance of taking something from us and McClaren didn't really have an answer for it.

Ipswich 2 - 1 Derby   - Typical Mick McCarthy side, our very anthesis!
Middlesbrough 1 - 0 Derby - another team who always had the better of us and did so until we beat them under Rowett

Derby 0 - 1 Millwall / Derby 0 - 0 Bolton - a couple of pretty similar, industrious, sides but for some reason under McClaren (despite scoring 5 against Milwall under Clough) we couldn't break them down

Leicester (4-1) /Burnley (2-0) - Yes, they were good teams and ended up in the automatic spots, and Chris Martin's sending off / disallowed goal was a discraceful decision, but against Leicester we weren't even competetive (got completely battered) and Burnley may well still have beaten us even with 11 men.

5 minutes ago, Coconut said:

As good as we were in 2013/14 there were just some teams/styles of play we either couldn't cope against or failed to break down. If teams stopped us playing off Chris Martin they stood a good chance of taking something from us and McClaren didn't really have an answer for it.

This is some sort of meme I'm sure. Who did we lose to season after season? I'm sure lots of teams struggle against certain types of teams. This is like looking for a magic cure that will heal us and allow us to be promoted! ?

Edit: the other problem being that no manager has been around long enough to learn from errors or build a squad to adapt.

3 hours ago, Mckram said:

I didn’t say everyone thought that ?

I said a thread was created.

It wasn’t a pop at anybody’s beliefs or opinions, literally just pointing out what a bonkers season it is. 12 points separating 7th to 22nd doesn’t really rule anybody in those places out of the relegation battle.

True. Maybe it’s more congested than normal, always seems a crazy league. If Derby make the playoffs this season, it’s still less of a surprise than Leicester winning the league. 

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

Most fans think we have 

• a good goalkeeper
  • a gem of a no9
  • a good management team

I believe all this as well. Our squad has been too thin this season, injuries etc, and lack of potency in attack. Now Bielik injured. You need competition for places. Maybe now we have it but we certainly didn’t before in a few different positions. 

2 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

So judging him again by this season alone where up until recently most players has offered little which is why we are where we are. If you put a confident Tom Lawrence in a confident team he has plenty to offer.

Yes we lost vs Rotherham but our form under Rooney should mean our team is relatively confident.

He has played 4 games under Rooney when he first took over and we didnt lose any, im not putting that down to Lawrence but who knows how Rooney can get Lawrence playing

Absolutely, Having the ability a season ago only gets you so far, It's the now i'm interested in, Offering play and actually delivering is what WR job will be, To get that ability on a more frequent basis TL would be an asset, I've yet to be convinced he can do it on a regular basis.

2 hours ago, Spanish said:

Always a bit reluctant to build a strategy around a guy who can be so hot and cold (mostly cold).  I hope he isn't always guaranteed a start and only utilised where it hurts the opposition

Yeah it could be a bit risky, but worth a try in that position given our current lack of creativity and goals i think.

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

Most fans think we have 

• a good goalkeeper
  • a gem of a no9
  • a good management team

so why are we getting smacked by Rotherham? Rotherham are good at making their opponents play a direct style, they have done it to a lot of other sides in the league as well. We were right in the Match until Wisdom switched off from the free kick and then we had to open up and go for it and just got hit on the break with the other goals. We also struggled there when Lampard was in charge and lost that game too.

why are we fighting relegation? Cocu.  If you look at the table since Rooney's been in charge we are around the play off spots. 

Archived