Bayo Fapetu

Terry Hennessy

As reorted in the DET today :

Derby County reportedly stole a march on top Premier League clubs when they signed young midfielder Bayo Fapetu.

The Nigerian teenager last week said he has signed “a long-term deal” with the Rams after leaving Arsenal, where he was a part of their Under-16s set-up.

However, he will now not be part of next season’s intake of academy scholars at the Emirates Stadium.

On Friday, he took to social media to say his time with the Premier League giants had come to an end as he had made the move to the Rams.

Posting a picture on Instagram of himself holding a Derby shirt, he wrote: “Delighted to sign a long term deal with Derby, we give all thanks to God.

“Time to get to work and fulfill my dreams.”

Website allnigeriasoccer.com say 'several unnamed top Premier League clubs' explored the possibility of signing Fapetu before his move to Derby.

Fapetu would likely link up with the Under-18s at Derby initially, where he will no doubt look to impress before moving up the ranks.

The Rams have not officially announced the youngster’s arrival and the length of his contract has not been disclosed.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Arsenal let him go , what is there to get excited about .I mean good luck to him and i hope he is brill , but any club letting a kid go for free is nothing to get excited about is it . The chance he will turn out to be anything really good is quite slim . Sorry to be so negative but it is the truth aint it .

8 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

If Arsenal let him go , what is there to get excited about .I mean good luck to him and i hope he is brill , but any club letting a kid go for free is nothing to get excited about is it . The chance he will turn out to be anything really good is quite slim . Sorry to be so negative but it is the truth aint it .

Arsenal released Harry Kane as a kid.

Just sayin'.

19 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

So many players are released by the "big clubs" at early stages of their career, it's usually part of the process. I'd back our youth scouts to pick out decent quality at this age level. 

Big clubs attempt to stockpile as much talent as possible. 

10 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Arsenal released Harry Kane as a kid.

Just sayin'.

And there’s Rashford at Man City, Mbappe at Chelsea, Balotelli at Barcelona, Roy Keane at Brighton, Luke Shaw at Chelsea, Rudd Gullit at Arsenal, Ronaldo at Flamengo

3 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

And there’s Rashford at Man City, Mbappe at Chelsea, Balotelli at Barcelona, Roy Keane at Brighton, Luke Shaw at Chelsea, Rudd Gullit at Arsenal, Ronaldo at Flamengo

Roy Keane at Brighton?

1 hour ago, Turk Thrust said:

Believe Arthur Cox turned Roy Keane down and he then went to them for a trial.The rest is history.

It's in his autobiography. 

53 minutes ago, Keepyuppy said:

Chelsea sold Kevin De Bruyne and Mo Salah as youngsters, as they thought they were too small and not good enough,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well that went well didn’t it ? ?

I'm shocked we got this far without anyone mentioning Messi - Who was released by Newell's and then rejected by River Plate cos they wouldn't fund the growth hormone treatment he needed

And he's my personal GOAT

6 hours ago, NottsRammy said:

So you've managed to write off a 16 year old kid, whom you've never seen play and before he's even kicked a ball at Derby...

Let's be honest here, you've not got clue whether he'll prosper or not, same as the rest of us, so how about you don't consign him to the rubbish heap just yet?  

8 hours ago, Turk Thrust said:

Wait, what???

They were in their academies or just deemed not good enough by their scouts?

Archived