Bayo Fapetu

Terry Hennessy

4 minutes ago, samtheram83 said:

Wait, what???

They were in their academies or just deemed not good enough by their scouts?

Serge Daniel Boga, a Chelsea scout until 2014, has explained to Goal why Mbappe didn't join the Blues. "He took a trial and didn't end up convincing us because he didn't offer enough defensively," he said."So, they asked his mother if he could come back for a second trial and she said no." Boga admitted that the Stamford Bridge coaching staff wanted to see him again to analyse the defensive elements of his game. "Defensively, he wasn't quite there. When he received the ball he was incredible, but without the ball he didn't do much," he explained.

The young Gullit was considered as a signing by Arsenal F.C. and Ipswich Town, but managers Terry Neill and Bobby Robson turned him down. Neill later told that he considered £30,000 too much for 'this wild kid'"

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

Serge Daniel Boga, a Chelsea scout until 2014, has explained to Goal why Mbappe didn't join the Blues. "He took a trial and didn't end up convincing us because he didn't offer enough defensively," he said."So, they asked his mother if he could come back for a second trial and she said no." Boga admitted that the Stamford Bridge coaching staff wanted to see him again to analyse the defensive elements of his game. "Defensively, he wasn't quite there. When he received the ball he was incredible, but without the ball he didn't do much," he explained.

The young Gullit was considered as a signing by Arsenal F.C. and Ipswich Town, but managers Terry Neill and Bobby Robson turned him down. Neill later told that he considered £30,000 too much for 'this wild kid'"

Thanks for that, I had no idea!

?

5 hours ago, Terry Hennessy said:

As a total aside to this I watched the U18's beat Man U U18's 3-1 yesterday on youtube. As there were no names on the backs of the shirts I couldn't tell who many of the players were - but there seemed to be some new faces who did look good....

I thought Malik Mothersille looked particularly good - shame he's only on loan from Chelsea (I really don't see the point of loaning in players at that level - hope there's a chance we'll get him in permanently).

6 hours ago, Terry Hennessy said:

As a total aside to this I watched the U18's beat Man U U18's 3-1 yesterday on youtube. As there were no names on the backs of the shirts I couldn't tell who many of the players were - but there seemed to be some new faces who did look good....

I posted the team in the academy thread. If I recall correctly the first XI was:

Roberts (1)
Brailsford(1)   Jinkinson(2)   Grewal-Pollard(2)   Maloney(16)
Aghatise(2)   Clarke(T)
Kelly(1)   Ibrahim(1)   Mothersille(L)
Cybulski(2)

1 = 1st year scholar
2 = 2nd year scholar
16 = U16 squad member
T = on trial (1st year scholar?)
L = on loan (1st year scholar)

Grewal-Pollard suffered with a serious injury and missed most of last season so is playing catch up and (in my opinion) can be treated as a 1st year scholar.

Borkovic (1st year scholar) returned from his own injury, coming on late in the second half for Mothersille, whereas Rogers (2nd year scholar) came on for Kelly with a few minutes left on the clock)

Unused subs were Randle (1st year GK), Sebagabo and Moore (both U16) 

1 hour ago, Kenavo said:

I thought Malik Mothersille looked particularly good - shame he's only on loan from Chelsea (I really don't see the point of loaning in players at that level - hope there's a chance we'll get him in permanently).

I'll be very surprised if it isn't with a view to being permanent.

On 01/03/2021 at 10:30, Charlie George said:

Believe Arthur Cox turned Roy Keane down and he then went to them for a trial.The rest is history.

It's in his autobiography. 

Technically, it was Jimmy Sirrel who turned him down. He was chief scout and went to see Keane at Cobh three times but ultimately decided he didn't do enough when he hadn't got the ball.

Or, in Jimmy speak: "He dinnae do anuff whenee hasnie got tha bawl"

As Glaswegian as they come was our Jimmy. And had the nose to prove it.

2 hours ago, StarterForTen said:

Technically, it was Jimmy Sirrel who turned him down. He was chief scout and went to see Keane at Cobh three times but ultimately decided he didn't do enough when he hadn't got the ball.

Or, in Jimmy speak: "He dinnae do anuff whenee hasnie got tha bawl"

As Glaswegian as they come was our Jimmy. And had the nose to prove it.

Which part of Wales does Jimmy come from again???

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/03/2021 at 13:20, Ghost of Clough said:

Grewal-Pollard suffered with a serious injury and missed most of last season so is playing catch up and (in my opinion) can be treated as a 1st year scholar.

Borkovic (1st year scholar) returned from his own injury

Do you know what the injuries were?

Archived