The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

2 hours ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Erm, no. 401 pages tells you everything you need to know and a quick scan tells me your a big contributor. 

Talk about going over the same ground day after day. Booooooring 

401 pages tells you nothing about the content, and neither does a quick scan, so you either have been reading, or you're making poo up.

I tend to talk about new developments that may bring up the same arguments, such is life.

I tend to ignore stuff that bores me. You seem to like to tell people they are boring you and engage with them, when you could just move on to a thread that excites you and gets your juices flowing.

nothing GIF

3 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Let's stop going over old ground.

In latest news, a Number 10 lockdown party for 100 people whilst the rest of us could meet no one, go to funerals etc etc.

I just can't believe that this administration have turned out this way. I'm shocked.

Obviously, I'm been sarcastic, but I'm actually a little shocked that they can be quite as stupid as sending a bring your own booze lockdown party invite out on email. Incredible. There have been a lot of potential final straws, but this one looks like the one.

I'm shocked that you're shocked about this government being stupid, it's what they do.

47 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I'm shocked that you're shocked about this government being stupid, it's what they do.

I'm not sure they're stupid - they just don't care.

For the moment he had shut his ears to the remoter noises and was listening to the stuff that streamed out of the telescreen. It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grammes a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be REDUCED to twenty grammes a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.

They know that enough people will eventually swallow anything that they are spoon-fed. We're already seeing tacit defence of the 'Both Sides Are Bad' type. Boris may have served his purpose now and will soon be thrust aside to take up his seat in the House Of Lords. I bet you it will be a hereditary peerage too 'For services to Brexit' - that'll be entertaining in itself as suddenly a dozen or so unknown 'Little Borises' will emerge to claim their eventual birthright, but that's beside the point. 

The next Tory leader/Prime Minister will most likely either be Rishi Sunak ('Look! We're not racist') or Liz Truss ('Look! We're not misogynist') - and all will be well in Toryland again.

Edited by Eddie

14 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I'm not sure they're stupid - they just don't care

They’re neither, they didn’t take the lockdown seriously because they knew it was nonsense. The rest of us should of done exactly the same 

2 hours ago, TexasRam said:

They’re neither, they didn’t take the lockdown seriously because they knew it was nonsense. The rest of us should of done exactly the same 

Johnson nearly died 2 months before this party. You would think he would be keen to protect colleagues and employees passing it on to each other.

2 months prior, Cummings broke strict non-travel rules as he was so worried about his son. 2 months later, he was probably partying along at Number 10, or at least knew it was going on.

2 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Johnson nearly died 2 months before this party. You would think he would be keen to protect colleagues and employees passing it on to each other.

2 months prior, Cummings broke strict non-travel rules as he was so worried about his son. 2 months later, he was probably partying along at Number 10, or at least knew it was going on.

Lockdowns didn’t work and protected no one. That’s why they Ignored them 

Just now, ariotofmyown said:

You genuinely think we should have not locked down in March 2020?!

Yes, and for the last time YES I think we should never of gone into lockdown,  it didn’t work, has never worked and delivered more harm than good. I like some other posters will leave it at now and move on as it’s boring debating the same stuff over and over. 

28 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

One last one though, those crying over the governments party on the 20th of May. Don’t be so hypocritical https://www.itv.com/news/2020-05-20/people-in-england-flock-to-beaches-following-easing-of-lockdown-restrictions-as-uk-enjoys-hottest-day-of-the-year

A massive generalisation there. Not everyone "crying" over the governments parties breached the rules as you seem to be implying.

Also, the article talks about actions AFTER restrictions were eased. That's a little bit different to actually breaching the restrictions whilst they're in force. It's a bit like complaining about people exceeding a temporary speed limit but then exceeding that previous limit after it's been lifted.

I've cut the government plenty of slack during the pandemic because of how difficult it has been but, it isn't complicated to follow some of the more basic restrictions that were in place.

4 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

A massive generalisation there. Not everyone "crying" over the governments parties breached the rules as you seem to be implying.

Also, the article talks about actions AFTER restrictions were eased. That's a little bit different to actually breaching the restrictions whilst they're in force. It's a bit like complaining about people exceeding a temporary speed limit but then exceeding that previous limit after it's been lifted.

I've cut the government plenty of slack during the pandemic because of how difficult it has been but, it isn't complicated to follow some of the more basic restrictions that were in place.

The article is 20th May 2020 same day as the “party” 

Edited by TexasRam

7 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Let's stop going over old ground.

In latest news, a Number 10 lockdown party for 100 people whilst the rest of us could meet no one, go to funerals etc etc.

I just can't believe that this administration have turned out this way. I'm shocked.

Obviously, I'm been sarcastic, but I'm actually a little shocked that they can be quite as stupid as sending a bring your own booze lockdown party invite out on email. Incredible. There have been a lot of potential final straws, but this one looks like the one.

It’s the final straw for me. I didn’t get the email.

7 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

The article is 20th May 2020 same day as the “party” 

Fair enough but aren't you still generalising? Not everyone now complaining flocked to the beaches as the article describes and not all of those that did did so with the deliberate intention of meeting with a large group of people from outside of there household as it appears happened at Downing Street.

22 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Fair enough but aren't you still generalising? Not everyone now complaining flocked to the beaches as the article describes and not all of those that did did so with the deliberate intention of meeting with a large group of people from outside of there household as it appears happened at Downing Street.

Not generalising just pointing out all those whining about need to look in the mirror 

44 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Yeah, all those people who weren't allowed to go to the funerals of loved ones are just whining right?

I was one of those, and I couldn’t care less if Johnson went to a party or not. Pissed on your chips a bit there eh!

Edited by TexasRam

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Its hilarous that the ones that call them stupid and liars mainly tend to be the ones that want to follow their nonesense rules too!

Not rising to the bait here, other than to spend a little while looking at the statistics in order to determine whether or not the lockdowns in the UK had any effect at all.

Let's look at the number of cases and deaths in the UK, in relation to the first period of lockdown. Each set of figures is the daily average over a 7 day period, with the daily average number of reported deaths in parentheses.

• 12/03/2020               68 (1)
  • 19/03/2020            383 (26)
  • 26/03/2020           1198 (138)
  • 03/04/2020          3946 (580)
  • 10/04/2020          4925 (911)
  • 17/04/2020          4991 (914)
  • 24/04/2020         4967 (806)
  • 01/05/2020          4856 (642)
  • 08/05/2020         4844 (494)
  • 15/05/2020          3621 (411)
  • 22/05/2020         2498 (316)
  • 29/05/2020         2432 (306)

The key dates here are 26/03/2020, when the lockdown was implemented, and 10/05/2020, when the 'conditional' plan for ending lockdown was announced.

Without boring you too much, it is clear that it took about 2 weeks after lockdown for new cases to stabilise, and another week or so for deaths to start to reduce. And this is before home testing kits etc. In the early days of the pandemic, something like 10% of confirmed cases died. Basically, you weren't tested unless to were hospitalised.

Picking things up a little later, the number of cases and deaths continued to decline...

• 05/06/2020        2026 (235)
  • 12/06/2020         1377 (171)
  • 19/06/2020         1266 (132)
  • 26/06/2020         1078 (132)

Key dates here were 01/06/2020 - phased re-opening of schools; 15/06/2020 - non-essential shops re-opening; 23/06/2020 - relaxation of 'social distancing'.

Personally, I think that a lot of people should congratulate themselves for sticking to the rules, even if members of the stazi/politbureau/government felt the rules only applied to the proles and not to them.

In no way do I think that government ministers having lockdown BYOB parties, groping sessions etc should be construed as justification for doing likewise.

Summary - the first lockdown saved the lives of a lot of vulnerable people. I could prove exactly the same result for the second lockdown, but the people this post is aimed at have already stopped reading and just posted their laughing emoji.

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

Not generalising just pointing out all those whining about need to look in the mirror 

All of those "whining"? So you are generalising.

I would suggest that a large proportion of the population, IMO, abided by the restrictions and are now unhappy at the way the government has behaved.

Edited by Tamworthram