The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

12 minutes ago, Norman said:

And if the person(s) at the BBC who decides what's newsworthy have a confirmation bias?

Which is the point being made. 

I suspect the issue is more that the BBC feel the need to keep onside with government policy, as they're already in the firing line. By going against their current policy of mandates, vaccine rollouts and generally pro tougher restrictions on virus spreading, they'd be opening themselves up to being further defunded. Plus there's not much support out there for opposing the government's current position, other than being more pro-restrictions like the opposition is recommending. Putting themselves in direct opposition to the government, not even siding with the opposition, at a time when their funding is under the highest scrutiny ever might be more responsible for their adoption of current policy than any confirmation bias.

16 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

At least I admit to it, and don't try and kid myself (and everyone else) that I have somehow mastered the art of consuming a balanced news feed and therefore having the one true opinion ?

When have I expressed an opinion other than produce facts that the BBC has recieved getting on for 1m complaints for bias over the past 2 years, giving self-confessed communists air time re. more covid restrictions whilst ignoring the protests of those that don't want more restrictions?

12 minutes ago, Norman said:

And if the person(s) at the BBC who decides what's newsworthy have a confirmation bias?

Which is the point being made. 

A lot of people, especially older folk still trust the BBC.  My parents for example don't have Sky, get the Burton Mail, listen to Radio Derby and watch BBC News.  I have had several chats with them about not vaccinating kids, discussing the realities of covid and protests around the UK and rest of the world - non of which they knew about.  

My point remains that unless you get your news from multiple sources you are only ever fed a narrow perspective and you are ignorant to a lot of what is going on around you.  Not only do you receive the bias from your chosen media outlet but you also suffer a lack of knowledge in not learning about the stuff they don't want to report. 

The BBC only report what the woke left want to hear/see, thought that was common knowledge. 

The weather app is good though 

Edited by TexasRam

10 hours ago, Archied said:

I have never singled out the bbc as well you know , I’ve found the mainstream media pretty much the same , the censorship That I have had a problem with from DAY 1 has been people being de platformed all across the board ,

really sad effort yet again at accusing people of saying stuff they are not , show me posts where I am strongly anti bbc .

will save you the trouble , don’t bother you can’t ,it’s not there 

I won’t hold my breath waiting for you to be big enough to say actually you were wrong ??‍♂️

We were at that time talking about the BBC.

You could easily have said you were generalising, but you didn't.

You do realise that half the posts I make I'm having a laugh, right?

You seem to have zero ability to laugh at yourself or see the funny side in a lot of what is going on around us.

I have no problem with either.

image.png.be591c37aa46730e748dd4366b74fb16.png

34 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

The BBC only report what the woke left want to hear/see, thought that was common knowledge. 

The weather app is good though 

This is all you need to know about the quality of the BBC ??

C8E9CFC2-1620-46C6-8CDD-96DA6C80C825.jpeg

4 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Unbelievable, puts us in the same bracket as China, Russia and Egypt for stifling protest against our rulers.

To be fair, there has been a couple of times when I have wanted to drive a tank over the protestors. Getting to an IKEA is bad enough at the best of times without some soap dodgers littering the road with bodies and glue.

"Oh the only place I get to hear about anti-vaxxers, anti-lockdown protesters is on YouTube or Twitter"

YouTube and Twitter have a potential audience far greater than the BBC or the Daily Mail.

People using those two (TV news/newspapers) as examples of their views being pushed to the fringes need to be reminded we're in 2021. It's not 2006 when only a few Californians and school kids new about those websites.

They are the mainstream now.

BBC News is crap though and Sky has gone downhill in the last 5 years or so.

Edited by JoetheRam

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

There is a pandemic and anti-vaxxers are in a very small minority. The air-time has to be filled is the problem.

We weren’t talking about anti vaxers , that was a scare all label brought in to slur anti lock down protests

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

We were at that time talking about the BBC.

You could easily have said you were generalising, but you didn't.

You do realise that half the posts I make I'm having a laugh, right?

You seem to have zero ability to laugh at yourself or see the funny side in a lot of what is going on around us.

I have no problem with either.

image.png.be591c37aa46730e748dd4366b74fb16.png

Oh come on , Wernt you the one who admonished me for putting laughing imogi s in my posts a while back , very happy to have a laugh at pretty much anything as long as it’s not too over the top cruel and insensitive and that includes laughing at myself and having the mickey taken , to be fair I’ve poked you a few times too and you’ve not seen the funny side,

rest assured I believe if you can’t have a laugh in life you are buggered 

27 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

"Oh the only place I get to hear about anti-vaxxers, anti-lockdown protesters is on YouTube or Twitter"

YouTube and Twitter have a potential audience far greater than the BBC or the Daily Mail.

People using those two (TV news/newspapers) as examples of their views being pushed to the fringes need to be reminded we're in 2021. It's not 2006 when only a few Californians and school kids new about those websites.

They are the mainstream now.

BBC News is crap though and Sky has gone downhill in the last 5 years or so.

You make a good point , perhaps I should check out Twitter and utube a bit more , only really use utube for guitar tabs and golf swing tips??‍♂️

12 minutes ago, Archied said:

Am I in a minority in thinking mrs browns boys is unfunny garbage?

I don’t think you are in a minority on that one ?

19 minutes ago, Archied said:

Oh come on , Wernt you the one who admonished me for putting laughing imogi s in my posts a while back , very happy to have a laugh at pretty much anything as long as it’s not too over the top cruel and insensitive and that includes laughing at myself and having the mickey taken , to be fair I’ve poked you a few times too and you’ve not seen the funny side,

rest assured I believe if you can’t have a laugh in life you are buggered 

Hmm , I don't remember you posting funny stuff on this board or mocking yourself, but maybe I missed it because I can disappear for days at a time. Or perhaps it was just too subtle for me.

I shall be sure to look out for it from now on though.

As for laughing emojis. Well, they tend to get used online by people who probably aren't laughing, but are feeling outraged and their highest form of outrage is to be seen to be laughing at the perpetrators of their outrage....probably

Or people who aren't funny but want others to think they are and haven't got any canned laughter on hand.

Not that I like to speculate you understand , ?‍♂️

13 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I don’t think you are in a minority on that one ?

I've never seen it and from what I hear I doubt I'd like it, but doesn't it get millions of viewers and won best comedy of all time or something similar?

Humour is 100% subjective. If one person finds something funny, then it's funny even if we disagree.

9 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Hmm , I don't remember you posting funny stuff on this board or mocking yourself, but maybe I missed it because I can disappear for days at a time. Or perhaps it was just too subtle for me.

I shall be sure to look out for it from now on though.

As for laughing emojis. Well, they tend to get used online by people who probably aren't laughing, but are feeling outraged and their highest form of outrage is to be seen to be laughing at the perpetrators of their outrage....probably

Or people who aren't funny but want others to think they are and haven't got any canned laughter on hand.

Not that I like to speculate you understand , ?‍♂️

Keep me posted on the rules of funny ?

9 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I've never seen it and from what I hear I doubt I'd like it, but doesn't it get millions of viewers and won best comedy of all time or something similar?

Humour is 100% subjective. If one person finds something funny, then it's funny even if we disagree.

What even the subtle stuff

30 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I’m sure some people find it hilarious. If it’s one the best comedy of all time then I think our country has more serious issues than I first thought ?