Gamesmanship

ram59

2 hours ago, jono said:

Now that is a good idea ! Mark it and it needs to be no more than a stride forward of the mark otherwise foul throw .. job done

I agree it's a good idea, but how about the same as for a defensive wall at a free kick... and stay BEHIND the mark, to avoid a foul throw!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I agree it's a good idea, but how about the same as for a defensive wall at a free kick... and stay BEHIND the mark, to avoid a foul throw!

The trouble with this plan is that when the ball goes out near to 2 corners of the pitch, there is no linesman there and the ref is likely to be a fair distance away, resulting in more wasting of time.

Surely, it was down to one of our players to remind the ref that the ball hit the corner flag before going out, when the ref doesn't do his job?

22 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Yes, better solution, easier to judge ??.. it would be good for linesman’s ego too. make them feel very important ?... he the bearer of the spray can with godlike powers. Some wonderful theatrical opportunities there ! 

Gamesmanship = cheating. 

That's why we have a game where two grown men can put their heads together and the one who makes any sort of forward movement is sent off for a "headbutt" and we all say "you can't do that" while the "victim" rolls around on the floor holding his face like it's fallen off. 

Gamesmanship is the name football gave it to excuse childish behaviour and cheating. 

Way to solve it....new law referees MUST book a player if they swear/insult the ref. Maybe one warning, maybe none. You will probably never stop the moaning, it is a passionate sport but bad language/behaviour is instantly punished. Or / in addition, give the option to the opposition to move the free kick 10 yards forward, I think this was trialled before?  Same for persistent diving/time wasting etc.  

13 minutes ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

Way to solve it....new law referees MUST book a player if they swear/insult the ref. Maybe one warning, maybe none. You will probably never stop the moaning, it is a passionate sport but bad language/behaviour is instantly punished. Or / in addition, give the option to the opposition to move the free kick 10 yards forward, I think this was trialled before?  Same for persistent diving/time wasting etc.  

I admire... and agree with... the sentiment, but with particular reference to diving, more often than not, even a dozen replays from different angles cannot PROVE a thing, one way or the other.  Only one person will ever know the truth. 

And who's to say how much contact is required to knock an athlete going full pelt off balance?
Same goes for "feigning injury".

Totally agree with the bad language/arguing/dissent etc.  Rugby seems to control that side of things pretty darned well.  ?

9 hours ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

Or / in addition, give the option to the opposition to move the free kick 10 yards forward, I think this was trialled before?

It was trialled before, however tes got smart to it, free kick perfect shooting range, take a yellow for dissent, ball moved to the edge of the box and a harder chance from the free kick. I think what would be better is giving the attacking team the option to move it up to 10 yards in any direction. 

The team in red were well practised in the dark arts of gamesmanship I noticed tonight. Waghorn was kicked twice in retaliation by the one player in the first half, had he'd been playing in red, he would have gone down rolling in agony and got the player sent off.

I agree that it's not what we want to see, but when you see virtually every other team at it, are we missing out?

7 minutes ago, ram59 said:

The team in red were well practised in the dark arts of gamesmanship I noticed tonight. Waghorn was kicked twice in retaliation by the one player in the first half, had he'd been playing in red, he would have gone down rolling in agony and got the player sent off.

I agree that it's not what we want to see, but when you see virtually every other team at it, are we missing out?

I did enjoy Wisdoms little hold on the keeper at the corner after the penalty shout. 

Commentator said no chance, and then watched the replay, and saw he did sneakily hold his arm down. Well played I say. Shame Knight couldn’t finish it off. I love a goal like that against forest, give them something to really bitch about. 

51 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Take your Rams tinted glasses off. I'm certain, on our day, we're just as bad as pretty much every other team.

20 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Take your Rams tinted glasses off. I'm certain, on our day, we're just as bad as pretty much every other team.

We'll see, Tammy. Since I picked up on it at Rotherham, it seems to have been pretty one way in most games. Last night's was typical, Forest players rolling around in agony, not one needing treatment. I don't recall any Derby player doing the same, including Waggy when he was kicked twice in retaliation.

We'll see how the next few games progress.

3 minutes ago, ram59 said:

We'll see, Tammy. Since I picked up on it at Rotherham, it seems to have been pretty one way in most games. Last night's was typical, Forest players rolling around in agony, not one needing treatment. I don't recall any Derby player doing the same, including Waggy when he was kicked twice in retaliation.

We'll see how the next few games progress.

You can’t just look at a few games in isolation.

I feel pretty confident that there are some supporters of most, if not all, other clubs that probably think the the players of other teams cheat and they are the victims of gamesmanship. IMO, I think they’re no more or less right than you are. Sadly, no team and very few players are averse to practicing the dark arts. We just all tend to notice and criticise it more when it happens against our players.

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

You can’t just look at a few games in isolation.

I feel pretty confident that there are some supporters of most, if not all, other clubs that probably think the the players of other teams cheat and they are the victims of gamesmanship. IMO, I think they’re no more or less right than you are. Sadly, no team and very few players are averse to practicing the dark arts. We just all tend to notice and criticise it more when it happens against our players.

I take your point and that's why I'm going to monitor it over the next few games, to see if the pattern continues.

Just now, ram59 said:

I take your point and that's why I'm going to monitor it over the next few games, to see if the pattern continues.

Fair enough but, as I say, you can’t just judge it on a handful of games and try your best to be objective. There are plenty of Derby players that fall to the ground all too easily for example. Cheating is the thing I hate most about modern football.

21 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Buchanan got a free kick after a Murray challenge, Murray shakes his head, Buchanan while on all 4s has a big grin on his face, All teams do it, But we see it more when against us ?

Archived