Gamesmanship

ram59

Watching recent matches has led me to believe that we are struggling in the dark art of gamesmanship which is surprising with Rooney being the manager.

Last night, there were several instances, Buchanan got a yellow only after their player rolled around and Hughes had a word with the ref. Hughes, on a yellow, made a bad challenge, but no histrionics from the Derby player fouled nor any teammates, to get him sent off. 

Wisdom  constantly being grappled at corners has got to bring the ref's attention to it.

One of their players loses a headed challenge just outside their box, not knowing where the ball has gone, falls down with a 'head injury', forcing play to stop. Replays showed that there was no contact with him at all, never mind his head, he didn't even fall badly.

Then just generally watching recent games without any crowd noise, opposition players are screaming for every challenge, when the only time you hear the Derby players, is for obvious fouls.

Incidences like the Wycombe disallowed goal, one of our players has got to stand in front of the ball to prevent the kick being taken.

We're guilty of being too nice.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All teams do it, i think you dont notice it the same way when its your own team, but look at Jozwiak last week, either going down easily or must have developed a severe middle ear infection during the game.

There is no doubt some teams do it more, holloway teams were shocking for going down injured all the time to break up play against better teams.

I cant ever remember a Derby player doing what Patrick Bamford did with his theatrics though.

55 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Watching recent matches has led me to believe that we are struggling in the dark art of gamesmanship which is surprising with Rooney being the manager.

Last night, there were several instances, Buchanan got a yellow only after their player rolled around and Hughes had a word with the ref. Hughes, on a yellow, made a bad challenge, but no histrionics from the Derby player fouled nor any teammates, to get him sent off. 

Wisdom  constantly being grappled at corners has got to bring the ref's attention to it.

One of their players loses a headed challenge just outside their box, not knowing where the ball has gone, falls down with a 'head injury', forcing play to stop. Replays showed that there was no contact with him at all, never mind his head, he didn't even fall badly.

Then just generally watching recent games without any crowd noise, opposition players are screaming for every challenge, when the only time you hear the Derby players, is for obvious fouls.

Incidences like the Wycombe disallowed goal, one of our players has got to stand in front of the ball to prevent the kick being taken.

How about we (players, managers, coaches, refs, fans, rule makers, governing bodies etc, etc) try that bit harder to put a stop to it, rather than what it appears to be you asking us to join in more?  

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

I'm fairly certain we're no worse or better than most other teams. 

If a player stays down and the opposition’s play is stopped, personally I think the player should be sidelined for at least 5 minutes.  Stopping play for an apparent head injury should be 10 minutes.  The manager can always make a substitution.  
It’s all too common that we see players curled up a ball completely motionless until play is stopped only to sprint back on the pitch seconds later. 
A ridiculous idea, I know but the blatant cheating is spiralling out of control. The screaming is another level, last week I saw a player let out a blood curdling scream as he rolled over the touchline only to look up, realise play had not stopped, jumped up and jogged off, hilarious ?.

26 minutes ago, Ruud Aralliss said:

If a player stays down and the opposition’s play is stopped, personally I think the player should be sidelined for at least 5 minutes.  Stopping play for an apparent head injury should be 10 minutes.  The manager can always make a substitution.  
It’s all too common that we see players curled up a ball completely motionless until play is stopped only to sprint back on the pitch seconds later. 
A ridiculous idea, I know but the blatant cheating is spiralling out of control. The screaming is another level, last week I saw a player let out a blood curdling scream as he rolled over the touchline only to look up, realise play had not stopped, jumped up and jogged off, hilarious ?.

(Not so) Cleverly did it last night.

Spreadeagled face down, ref ignored him, so he jumped back onto his feet.

4 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

How about we (players, managers, coaches, refs, fans, rule makers, governing bodies etc, etc) try that bit harder to put a stop to it, rather than what it appears to be you asking us to join in more?  

Yes ! I’d much rather see the cheats outed by laughter, derision and critism in general rather than urging us to be less sportsman like. .. TV pundits need to up their game ., saying hey ho that’s the game is not right .. it dereliction of duty, its being complicit in wrongdoing . They should be adopting the same intolerance for this as they do for even racism or genuinely violent conduct or intimidation. It is not sport. It’s wrong 

7 hours ago, Sith Happens said:

All teams do it, i think you dont notice it the same way when its your own team, but look at Jozwiak last week, either going down easily or must have developed a severe middle ear infection during the game.

There is no doubt some teams do it more, holloway teams were shocking for going down injured all the time to break up play against better teams.

I cant ever remember a Derby player doing what Patrick Bamford did with his theatrics though.

I loath it to my very core. Trying to be balanced and rational, I suppose I might accept that a certain level of drawing attention to a foul has to be ok .. but that assumes a foul actually happened. 

the ones that get me most are the face clutching and moves designed to get your opponent wrongly penalised .. that is below any belt 

6 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

(Not so) Cleverly did it last night.

Spreadeagled face down, ref ignored him, so he jumped back onto his feet.

Pretty blatant one with 2 minutes to go, from the same defender that was attached to Wisdoms shirt like the alien that was attached to John Hurts face. Thought he'd been hit in the head by bowling ball, then up 3 seconds later.  Really grates on me that as it's using a correct head injury directive to halt the game and stop pressure by cheating.  Players should get a one game ban for doing it.

Leicester one a league title by doing an exact combination of the crap he was unpunished for last night.

Not interested in seeing us cheating. That’s not what the game is about. Hate it when other teams do it, and I hate to see our players doing it - Jozwiak’s pathetic dive the other day really grated on me. Don’t want to see our players end up like Jack Grealish - focus on playing the game, not winning freekicks.

That said, I think there is something in putting more pressure on the officials to give decisions our way when that’s the correct call. We all know the quality of officiating in the Championship is beyond awful, and most of the time the referees don’t have a clue. All too easy for certain clubs to intimidate the officials and influence the decisions. It’s not nice to have to do, but you’ve almost got to fight fire with fire in those situations, and start doing all the shouting and appealing yourselves when the correct decision should clearly be in your favour.

Archived