Manager Sack Race

Day

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Net spend ? The academy generates millions every year for him, countino over 100m, he has spent 400m, give me that much and I reckon I could put a team together from scratch that challenges for the PL. 

It's the players he has in his squad now...Mane 30m, Salah 45m, Van Dyke, Keira, Alison just around 200m for the three. Of course other teams will have a bigger spend, if Derby went up next season and wanted to challenge for the title, it would cost them several hundred million because of their starting point.

Ok 5 seasons, 8,4,4,2 and we shall give him a title just to make the numbers up and then back to 13 points behind the current leaders. So in 6 seasons, one win, that's it. Let's compare that to say Pep, 2 already, another one almost in the bag. I suppose it depends how long liverpool are prepared to wait for another title, one in 6 may be ok for them I suppose ?‍♂️

Okay, so Klopp's spent over £400m.  Well Guardiola's spent the best part of £1b then. Well done to Man City for winning 2 titles compared to Klopp's 1. They even reached the Champions League semi-final once as well.

Only 1 English club has won the Champions League since 2012 as well, but let's ignore that.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Okay, so Klopp's spent over £400m.  Well Guardiola's spent the best part of £1b then. Well done to Man City for winning 2 titles compared to Klopp's 1. They even reached the Champions League semi-final once as well.

Only 1 English club has won the Champions League since 2012 as well, but let's ignore that.

Pep has won it twice in one less season and will have another on the notch this year as well. This wasn't a comparison anyway between Pep and him, I was just pointing out another manager who has finished no lower than 3rd, 2 titles under their belt and another on the way. I'll give you he doesn't seem to be a bad cup manager, reminds me a bit of Harry in that respect.

So just to be clear though, you think one title win in 6 seasons makes him a great manager ? 

5 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Pep has won it twice in one less season and will have another on the notch this year as well. This wasn't a comparison anyway between Pep and him, I was just pointing out another manager who has finished no lower than 3rd, 2 titles under their belt and another on the way. I'll give you he doesn't seem to be a bad cup manager, reminds me a bit of Harry in that respect.

So just to be clear though, you think one title win in 6 seasons makes him a great manager ? 

You were using transfer spend as a way to point out how bad he has done.

Liverpool spend has been dwarfed by Man City and Man Utd who are pushing for the £1b club. Chelsea not too far behind them. Arsenal and Everton have spent more. They're about on par with Spurs though. Wolves only £20m behind and West Ham £60m behind.

'Good' managers don't have 99 point seasons (would have been better if their season wasn't disrupted by the extended break). He's clearly one of the very best in the world, and debatably the best at the moment.

If Van Dijk and Gomez hadn't missed pretty much the entirety of this season they'd be competing for the title again. Their shocking spell over the past month or so has been the consequence of their 3rd choice CB being ruled out for the rest of the season as well. Henderson and Fabinho have been forced to play there, TOGETHER!

7 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You were using transfer spend as a way to point out how bad he has done.

Liverpool spend has been dwarfed by Man City and Man Utd who are pushing for the £1b club. Chelsea not too far behind them. Arsenal and Everton have spent more. They're about on par with Spurs though. Wolves only £20m behind and West Ham £60m behind.

'Good' managers don't have 99 point seasons (would have been better if their season wasn't disrupted by the extended break). He's clearly one of the very best in the world, and debatably the best at the moment.

If Van Dijk and Gomez hadn't missed pretty much the entirety of this season they'd be competing for the title again. Their shocking spell over the past month or so has been the consequence of their 3rd choice CB being ruled out for the rest of the season as well. Henderson and Fabinho have been forced to play there, TOGETHER!

So 1 in 7 ?
Sorry getting ahead of myself 1 in 6 ?

8 hours ago, David said:

Look what happened to Burton when they went down the Derby rejects path, it's not the way to success

Their best ever season was with 6 former 'rejects'. They finished above Forest in 16/17 with Brayford, Naylor, Ward, Varney, Bywater and Barker.

They've dropped back down to just 2 or 3 former Rams since returning to L1.

13 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Last century since liverpool lost to Everton at anfield, nearly 100 years since they lost 4 in a row at home, worst title defence for how long...surely they can't keep going with him.

Think Leeds was the worst in living memory. Maybe Chelsea when Jose sacked second time. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived