“We threw in the towel” - The 11pt season

24Charlie

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thought that has popped into my mind, is that everybody has talked about whether we should have sacked Billy or not. In reality we didn't have a choice. He was angling for it very early on into the season, and we saw that pattern again when he was at the Trees - twice. And it started with talking up the need for the board to back him in the transfer window, gradually getting more and more accusative until the board have no option but to get rid of the mealy mouth monster who is effectively bad mouthing his employer. He knew exactly what he was doing, and cynically perhaps the only reason he would take a job was for the pay-off he was going to engineer for himself.

15 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

yep, but if we had kept him we would have got a lot more than 11 points.

disagree, he wouldn't have got a single extra point.  Not a single person, board, Management and squad associated with that season deserves any praise whatsoever.

14 hours ago, europia said:

I'd rather not hear about it. I've erased that season from my memory. 

I really wish I could!

The only way this one will get put to bed is a return to the PL and stay up for the first season. Not much to ask for really ?

Should have sacked Billy on the Wembley pitch, told him to make his own way home. 

£10m on Claude Davis, Kenny Miller and Rob Earnshaw, that was his master plan. Ugh.

Jewell should have been sacked the second he asked the board to buy Robbie Savage.

I would have taken any member on this forum as manager that season over Billy and Jewell, any member and we still would have gone down, but with more points that I have no doubt.

3 minutes ago, David said:

Should have sacked Billy on the Wembley pitch, told him to make his own way home. 

£10m on Claude Davis, Kenny Miller and Rob Earnshaw, that was his master plan. Ugh.

Jewell should have been sacked the second he asked the board to buy Robbie Savage.

I would have taken any member on this forum as manager that season over Billy and Jewell, any member and we still would have gone down, but with more points that I have no doubt.

he should have gone no doubt,  he wasn't into it, from declaring he didn't know if he would be here to his post sack declaration that he wished it had been Preston. 

he had been backed significantly in the championship and made a hash of it, there was no evidence he would cope In the premier league. 

26 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

he had been backed significantly in the championship and made a hash of it, there was no evidence he would cope In the premier league. 

But what was clear was the players he wanted we didn't get for him (seem to remember there were some interesting 'rumours'). The one's we ended up with were the one's who would come here for the money we were offering.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

But what was clear was the players he wanted we didn't get for him (seem to remember there were some interesting 'rumours'). The one's we ended up with were the one's who would come here for the money we were offering.

We did get Eddie Lewis,  yee ha.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He should have walked then. Saved us having to pay him off.

Archived