“We threw in the towel” - The 11pt season

24Charlie

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's always really interesting to read about experiences of the 11 point season. One thing that slightly irks me, however, is that it always seems to be the jobbers who contributed little to nothing that like to stick their two penn'orth in. I find it difficult to trust what people like Andy Todd or Danny Mills et al. have to say about the dressing room. I'd much prefer to hear what people like Darren Moore, Marc Edworthy, Matt Oakley think. It rankles a little when people who had nothing to do with the promotion cast aspersions over the dressing room and the squad when they haven't earned the right do so.

Here’s my two penneth:

This is nothing but more of the continual fluff pieces to make out that Sheffield United are unfortunate rather than a set of players who aren’t good enough. Yeah the two situations are different in as much as any two situations are different but there’s a lot of similarities too. 

There’s a lot of ‘going to Derby ruined my career’ stuff in here. Not a lot of individuals reflecting on themselves and saying that they contributed in ruining a great club for the best part of a decade. 

It essentially draws on the individuals to bring out the differences in character rather than looking at the clubs/leagues as a whole which help show a more accurate picture of why both clubs found themselves in a mess

Edit: My main point is that this article, like many about that season isn’t about our club, it’s usually about another struggling club using rentagob opinions by people who didn’t hang around long enough to fully understand it.

I remember feeling really sorry for Darren Moore that season. He was a warrior but slow. If he'd had a half decent partner we wouldn't have been so porous. 

I'll never forget Torres fronting him up, taking it past him and being about six yards beyond him by the time he turned round. I knew then we were doomed. 

9 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I remember feeling really sorry for Darren Moore that season. He was a warrior but slow. If he'd had a half decent partner we wouldn't have been so porous. 

I'll never forget Torres fronting him up, taking it past him and being about six yards beyond him by the time he turned round. I knew then we were doomed. 

I knew we were doomed about 4 months before then

1 hour ago, MK-Ram said:

Interesting.  Apart from one game, Todd never seemed to have any towel to throw in.

After the 6-0 defeat at Anfield, Davies got hold of Todd in the tunnel and accused him of being not very good...lol, Todd grabbed Davies by the throat and words were said, Todd had to make his own way home.

11 minutes ago, AGR said:

I knew we were doomed about 4 months before then

Coming out of Wembley and still raining and cold, I turned to my Son and said "what have we just done" Dad he said we're in the Premier League ?, Buying Clod Davies who had a 50p head summed up our season.

We were in Malta for our one and only league win, The camara man missed the goal, Big punt upfield to Miller and he scores, At least I witnessed a season of the most crapiest of Derby teams in one season.

Looking back it became quite scary that we were that bad that you often wondered how many we were going to lose by, Before the game all in the boozer would be kind of content with what we were seeing...very strange I tell ya.

1 hour ago, James Pond said:

After the 6-0 defeat at Anfield, Davies got hold of Todd in the tunnel and accused him of being not very good...lol, Todd grabbed Davies by the throat and words were said, Todd had to make his own way home.

I would have a much better opinion of Todd if he had knocked the little twit out.

2 hours ago, James Pond said:

Coming out of Wembley and still raining and cold, I turned to my Son and said "what have we just done" Dad he said we're in the Premier League ?, Buying Clod Davies who had a 50p head summed up our season.

We were in Malta for our one and only league win, The camara man missed the goal, Big punt upfield to Miller and he scores, At least I witnessed a season of the most crapiest of Derby teams in one season.

Looking back it became quite scary that we were that bad that you often wondered how many we were going to lose by, Before the game all in the boozer would be kind of content with what we were seeing...very strange I tell ya.

If only we had been sensible and accepted that Billy wasn't going to keep us up but might easily take us up again, yo-yo stylee. Take the money and build, but no we hired quite possibly one of the worst Prem managers ever and plummeted like we never wanted to stop!

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

I would have a much better opinion of Todd if he had knocked the little twit out.

I'm told by a reliable source that it almost happened, But others pulled him away, I think Todd had a disabled Son or Brother that he doted on, Also he wasn't one that would be easily intimidated.

To be fair to Jewell, he was nothing if not reflective and honest about what happened. I view January 2007 to January 2009 as being a dire situation greater than the sum of its parts. Everything was wrong, from player recruitment, management, ownership and club culture, but add it all together and it was disastrous. We were careering into chaos from the moment we had that spat about bonuses, and following Davies' departure, I think we were beyond help from any one person.

Nigel Clough didn't, and still doesn't, get enough credit for the rebuilding job he did. It would have been very easy for us to fall further down the pyramids, but he steadied the ship by signing limited players who actually wanted to play for us and him. The next half a decade was about creating green shoots of recovery and he laid the foundations for the awesome 13/14 season - and in the process, he turned us into one of the only profitable football clubs in the country. It's a scandal we've squandered that and now, in 2021, we're pretty much exactly where we were in 2009, the reigning Worst Team of All Time.

Slight footnote on the article - really good read, but I can't stand this use of "the likes of" in football journalism. Twice it uses the phrase, including "here were other hefty losses to the likes of West Ham United and Aston Villa." Unless there's a long list of teams too long to mention wearing claret and blue thrashing us that season. They just mean WHU and Villa. 

28 minutes ago, Duracell said:

To be fair to Jewell, he was nothing if not reflective and honest about what happened. I view January 2007 to January 2009 as being a dire situation greater than the sum of its parts. Everything was wrong, from player recruitment, management, ownership and club culture, but add it all together and it was disastrous. We were careering into chaos from the moment we had that spat about bonuses, and following Davies' departure, I think we were beyond help from any one person.

Nigel Clough didn't, and still doesn't, get enough credit for the rebuilding job he did. It would have been very easy for us to fall further down the pyramids, but he steadied the ship by signing limited players who actually wanted to play for us and him. The next half a decade was about creating green shoots of recovery and he laid the foundations for the awesome 13/14 season - and in the process, he turned us into one of the only profitable football clubs in the country. It's a scandal we've squandered that and now, in 2021, we're pretty much exactly where we were in 2009, the reigning Worst Team of All Time.

Slight footnote on the article - really good read, but I can't stand this use of "the likes of" in football journalism. Twice it uses the phrase, including "here were other hefty losses to the likes of West Ham United and Aston Villa." Unless there's a long list of teams too long to mention wearing claret and blue thrashing us that season. They just mean WHU and Villa. 

It which seasons, other than the season we sold the stadium, has the club made a profit?

2010 was close at a £2.2m loss but the next best with Clough was over £7m loss
We made a £1.8m profit in our PL season and £51k profit in 05/06 thanks to a £7m loan.

1 hour ago, dog said:

The premiership team was worse than the one that struggled to get promoted

"struggled".....? 

You mean by finishing 8 points clear of the 4th place team, who we also beat twice that season......we were only 4 points off being Champions..... I would hardly say we "struggled"

(the rest of your statement is bang on though-should never have sacked Billy)

Archived