“We threw in the towel” - The 11pt season

24Charlie

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think those years are extremely difficult to pick apart, especially as I was only 14 at the time and I haven't read the book 'Pride' as of yet. It's very clear I think looking back that certain players in that squad had absolutely shocking attitudes and did not give a damn about either the club or their own performances as time went on. The less said about Earnshaw, Miller and Claude Davies the better.

The warning signs around Davies should have been ringing in the January transfer window of our promotion season where we brought in a few players and slowly but surely slipped down the table. Following his antics of the playoff final we should have sacked him there and then, kept the nucleus of the squad together such as Oakley, Jones, Howard etc. and built a team expecting to be relegated but one which could compete in the championship.

Jewell I think got seduced into the job as I've heard the same kind of comments from him in a few interviews. He clearly made errors as he thought bringing in these players would at least make us go down swinging but there was too much turnover, too much money spent and not enough quality. All it did was destroy the nucleus of the squad we did have.  I think the most disappointing game under him was the 0-1 defeat at home to Doncaster our first game back in the championship and we looked an absolute shambles from start to finish. It was not for a lack of trying but boy did he make a mess of things. 

Just now, MuespachRam said:

Did he need to do anything else.?? Got us a point against Leicester? Made the win against Luton.? That isn’t enough for you.? 

Well yes, you don’t sign players to perform in one or two games. Was a dreadful signing 

1 minute ago, David said:

Well yes, you don’t sign players to perform in one or two games. Was a dreadful signing 

I’m not saying he was brilliant, far from it, my point was, he was one of the Kings signings in January and he set up the winning goal in the play offs. So , all good for me. 

1 minute ago, MuespachRam said:

Yep, just like Arthur and Jimmy... no one else in your lifetime comes close to them. 

The 56 year old that no club would touch with a bargepole in the last 7 years, you're right about that. King my bottom.

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

You mean players like Craig Fagan who made the winning goal in the final.? 

Wasn't that Barnes. Your kind of missing the obvious one who scored the winner.  Irrespective whether or not you think Davies was a good manager however, Fagan was absolute dross, as were all those January signings bar Pearson and if the mood took him Mears. Fagan was the worst however.

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Wasn't that Barnes. Your kind of missing the obvious one who scored the winner.  Irrespective whether or not you think Davies was a good manager however, Fagan was absolute dross, as were all those January signings bar Pearson and if the mood took him Mears. Fagan was the worst however.

So mears who made the best tackle you have ever seen in his own box, fagan who started the move for the winner and Pearson who scored the winner... aside from that, who needed them....!??!

Just now, MuespachRam said:

So mears who made the best tackle you have ever seen in his own box, fagan who started the move for the winner and Pearson who scored the winner... aside from that, who needed them....!??!

I just mentioned those two myself.  The rest were crap. Fagan was truly arse. I'm sure if we took a poll on that I'd probably win.

I've seen better tackles, but it was well timed. I was thankful Koumas didn't turn back on himself or step left.

19 minutes ago, David said:

The 56 year old that no club would touch with a bargepole in the last 7 years, you're right about that. King my bottom.

Have you heard any of the players say bad to kings about him.? All of them would run through walls for him. 
wazzaball is the closest we have had to the great man, and It delights me. 

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I just mentioned those two myself.  The rest were crap. Fagan was truly arse. I'm sure if we took a poll on that I'd probably win.

I've seen better tackles, but it was well timed. I was thankful Koumas didn't turn back on himself or step left.

It was a perfectly timed tackle, total perfection. 
I’m not saying fagan was any good but without him where would we have been? 
It was a brilliant TEAM managed to perfection by a crazy, paranoid manager. Happy days. 

2 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Have you heard any of the players say bad to kings about him.? All of them would run through walls for him. 
wazzaball is the closest we have had to the great man, and It delights me. 

I haven't, none of them have dared ring me since 

8 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

Jewell I think got seduced into the job as I've heard the same kind of comments from him in a few interviews. He clearly made errors as he thought bringing in these players would at least make us go down swinging but there was too much turnover, too much money spent and not enough quality. All it did was destroy the nucleus of the squad we did have.  I think the most disappointing game under him was the 0-1 defeat at home to Doncaster our first game back in the championship and we looked an absolute shambles from start to finish. It was not for a lack of trying but boy did he make a mess of things. 

I don't think Jewell was seduced he clearly was out of a job and wanted a payday with us.

If David Moyes tells you to avoid managing a club then you really should avoid it like the plague. 

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

I don't think Jewell was seduced he clearly was out of a job and wanted a payday with us.

If David Moyes tells you to avoid managing a club then you really should avoid it like the plague. 

David Moyes looks like a character out of Stingray which invalidates his opinion for me.

Archived