“We threw in the towel” - The 11pt season

24Charlie

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That article came across as Jewel saying " Yeah it was sort of my fault but it wasn't really." 

He was the main reason for the players throwing the towel. A leader that couldn't lead. Good managers get players running through brick walls for them. Although I can't prove it, I reckon we would have been hard pressed appointing anyone that would have been as bad as him. That season lays squarely at his door and his feeble excuses don't wash with me.

4 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

That article came across as Jewel saying " Yeah it was sort of my fault but it wasn't really." 

He was the main reason for the players throwing the towel. A leader that couldn't lead. Good managers get players running through brick walls for them. Although I can't prove it, I reckon we would have been hard pressed appointing anyone that would have been as bad as him. That season lays squarely at his door and his feeble excuses don't wash with me.

Whilst Jewell was absolutely dreadful, if I had to portion the blame out for that season I would give more to Davies than Jewell. It was interesting reading the Pride book about how negative he was about the season before it even began. When Gadsby asked him what players he want he just responded with "It doesn't matter you wont get them". His signings; Todd, Earnshaw, Davies, Griffin, Fehilhaber and Lewis were abysmal and gave us no chance whatsoever. Like Jewell said in the article one of the biggest mistakes was spending so much in the January. We should've kept Oakley and saved the money for the summer and tried to bounce back instead of signing players like Danny Mills and Lauren Robert that couldn't care less.

1 minute ago, AGR said:

Whilst Jewell was absolutely dreadful, if I had to portion the blame out for that season I would give more to Davies than Jewell. It was interesting reading the Pride book about how negative he was about the season before it even began. When Gadsby asked him what players he want he just responded with "It doesn't matter you wont get them". His signings; Todd, Earnshaw, Davies, Griffin, Fehilhaber and Lewis were abysmal and gave us no chance whatsoever.

His speach after the Wembley win didn't go down well, Refused to commit to DCFC, Pretty sure he new the team needed root and branch treatment, Jewell never stood a chance, I loved the Moyes comment...DON'T GO!...PMSL.

18 minutes ago, AGR said:

Whilst Jewell was absolutely dreadful, if I had to portion the blame out for that season I would give more to Davies than Jewell. It was interesting reading the Pride book about how negative he was about the season before it even began. When Gadsby asked him what players he want he just responded with "It doesn't matter you wont get them". His signings; Todd, Earnshaw, Davies, Griffin, Fehilhaber and Lewis were abysmal and gave us no chance whatsoever. Like Jewell said in the article one of the biggest mistakes was spending so much in the January. We should've kept Oakley and saved the money for the summer and tried to bounce back instead of signing players like Danny Mills and Lauren Robert that couldn't care less.

Billy was a strange, complex character and may have added to the negativity but he still managed to take more points than Jewell did in almost twice as many games. He (Jewell)pretty much told the players they weren't good enough from the start.

He even admits this himself with his little tale about pulling Gary Teale to one side after the very first training session. Did he think that his comment wouldn't make it's way back to some if not all of the players.

The rot may have been setting in by the time he was appointed but he had the power to address it. Instead he just pissed on it and then sat back and watched it worsen. 

He should be publicly flogged if he ever steps anywhere near Pride Park again. 

30 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

By far the worst ever.

42 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Whilst there is plenty of blame to go around, board, Billy and others all taking their share, Jewell was absolutely, unspeakably, awful for the club. We'd have got more points under Billy. Frankly, we'd have got more points if I'd been managing the team.

What I find most most unforgivable is not pumping Jewell out as soon as the final whistle had blown. It'd probably have been better for Jewell if that had happened tbh.

As uniquely bad as the 11 point season was, it was the season after I found particularly sickening and toxic until Nigel dragged it out fire and brought in austerity football for the next few years.

Interesting read. Have to wonder even from day 1, if PJ went in and said 'Tealey, is this it? Is this the team?' how much of that "lost cause" / "oh cr4p" negativity rubbed off on the players from day 1.  If they got a hint the manager thought they were rubbish from day 1, what hope.  

6 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

'Do I regret going to Derby? Of course I do," he reflects.

You and me both, Mr Jewell.  You and me both!   :-) 

they are going down, so I'm not interested.' That was at the start of the season.

Makes me wonder why we bothered a second time, that attitude was never going to help much.

1 hour ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Michael Johnson was doing the Radio Derby commentary at Ipswich the night he got the boot and couldn't contain his delight.  Stated he was the worst manager he ever had, that the players appreciated after a number of games that they weren't good enough but he used to do double and triple training sessions as a form of punishment. By Saturday they were knackered as well as being not good enough and that was a huge contributor to the lack of points from January. 

1 hour ago, AGR said:

Cares about enough to to do piss taking ads for a betting firm with his mate Stubbsy.  He managed about thirty minutes in a year.

6 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Here’s my two penneth:

This is nothing but more of the continual fluff pieces to make out that Sheffield United are unfortunate rather than a set of players who aren’t good enough. Yeah the two situations are different in as much as any two situations are different but there’s a lot of similarities too. 

There’s a lot of ‘going to Derby ruined my career’ stuff in here. Not a lot of individuals reflecting on themselves and saying that they contributed in ruining a great club for the best part of a decade. 

It essentially draws on the individuals to bring out the differences in character rather than looking at the clubs/leagues as a whole which help show a more accurate picture of why both clubs found themselves in a mess

Edit: My main point is that this article, like many about that season isn’t about our club, it’s usually about another struggling club using rentagob opinions by people who didn’t hang around long enough to fully understand it.

I’d enjoy it if someone actually wrote an article about it from that perspective - damage to the club and it’s the fans who have to now carry it around until Sunderland who set this record twice before - probably takes it back off us ha!! 

1 hour ago, Monty said:

It was the way we lost that West Ham game bowyer running through us like there was nobody there 

When we played away at West Ham that season, their fans booed them off for only beating us 2-1. I think that sums it all up

Archived