Stevie Mac back on the coaching scene

Derbados

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

I don’t like the sort of blurred lines that it would entail. Keep the board and the coaching staff very much seperate imo. Unless McClaren isn’t actually doing the job he was brought in to do, which would appear strange, then he seems to have two different roles. He might well be capable of doing them both, but I’d rather him do one or the other. And out of the two, I’d rather him be coaching.

Not sure how old you are but, guessing by your forum name, maybe 20 or 21?

Shame if true, because you'd have been an ideal shop steward in a 1970's British Leyland plant.

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

I don’t like the sort of blurred lines that it would entail. Keep the board and the coaching staff very much seperate imo. Unless McClaren isn’t actually doing the job he was brought in to do, which would appear strange, then he seems to have two different roles. He might well be capable of doing them both, but I’d rather him do one or the other. And out of the two, I’d rather him be coaching.

Always thought the Technical Director role was to provide the link between the board and the coaching staff. If so, it stands to reason it will include direct involvement with both elements of a club.

So we see a photo of him standing well back from the players wearing a coat because it is cold. Must be coaching then. No possibility of him deciding to have a wander round the training ground, get some fresh air, enjoy watching players train etc. etc. ??

18 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Still doesn’t quite sit right with me that you appoint someone as technical director, effectively an advisor to the board, and then have him out there coaching. Feels like a conflict of interest to me. McClaren should be working separately from Rooney in his current role - in fact, he should almost be above him, helping to judge his performance. Doesn’t feel like he’d give a particularly unbias appraisal if he’s that close to him.

Don’t get me wrong, I think McClaren is an excellent coach, and I’d be delighted to have him on Rooney’s staff. But if you want to do that, make him a coach, and remove his role with the board. Simple as that really.

It's exactly what a technical director should be doing. Overseeing the training, offering advice etc. Don't know why it don't sit right, as long as Rooney is ok with it I aint worried. And if Rooney wasn't happy he'd say - not the sort of bloke to be shy.

1 hour ago, bcnram said:

So we see a photo of him standing well back from the players wearing a coat because it is cold. Must be coaching then. No possibility of him deciding to have a wander round the training ground, get some fresh air, enjoy watching players train etc. etc. ??

Isn’t he in goal ??? 

Waggers 1 v 1 practice session.

4 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Always thought the Technical Director role was to provide the link between the board and the coaching staff. If so, it stands to reason it will include direct involvement with both elements of a club.

That’s not the way I read it - I think it was described as “advisor to the board”. I would expect that to be around managerial appointments, recruitment and other major club decisions. Wouldn’t expect someone who appears to be at board level to be out on the training pitch.

4 hours ago, winktheram said:

It's exactly what a technical director should be doing. Overseeing the training, offering advice etc. Don't know why it don't sit right, as long as Rooney is ok with it I aint worried. And if Rooney wasn't happy he'd say - not the sort of bloke to be shy.

I’m sure Rooney doesn’t have a problem with it, but that’s not really my concern. I’m more worried about not keeping coaching and the board separate.

6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

That’s not the way I read it - I think it was described as “advisor to the board”. I would expect that to be around managerial appointments, recruitment and other major club decisions. Wouldn’t expect someone who appears to be at board level to be out on the training pitch.

If you read the Clubs' statement when he joined, he assumes the role of advisor and Technical Director, the latter position to be confirmed on a permanent basis once the takeover is completed. 

So he is Technical Director, albeit temporary (in another 24-48 hours?).

It's generally accepted that his strengths lie mainly in the coaching part of football - in his fledgling managerial career, Rooney is smart enough to tap into McClarens' experience and where better to utilise those skills than on the training pitch.

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

If you read the Clubs' statement when he joined, he assumes the role of advisor and Technical Director, the latter position to be confirmed on a permanent basis once the takeover is completed. 

So he is Technical Director, albeit temporary (in another 24-48 hours?).

It's generally accepted that his strengths lie mainly in the coaching part of football - in his fledgling managerial career, Rooney is smart enough to tap into McClarens' experience and where better to utilise those skills than on the training pitch.

True, but it seems an odd combination to me. If he’s advising Rooney, why call him a technical director - surely there’s a better title out there than that? Makes it sound like he’s a director of football, what with advising the board as well.

As I’ve said, I agree McClaren is best as a coach. I’d like to see that become his job title.

If he is back on the training ground helping it will be on Rooney's say so, amd if he is, then it is a very smart move from Rooney to get help from someone so experienced & known as an excellent coach.

Hopefully he can get us firing up front like he did when he was in charge, Rooney has got the defence sorted so we need to score more goals now, what better combo of an attacking coach and Englands/Man Utds record goalscorer

Archived