Double/Multiple Chances

DCFC1388

I see a lot of fans writing off potential transfer targets because of off field issues and bad attitudes. CKR was one in the summer who the above applied too and I think he has won over the majority if not all the fan base. But now the same seems to be applying to Edmundson and NML. For me, if Rooney is happy to give them a chance then so am I, obviously not all will work out but some, like CKR, will.

The 3 players that spring to mind who have joined us with reported bad attitudes and off field issues are Martin, Ibe & CKR. Martin and CKR worked out well for us, in terms of Ibe his seems to be more mental health rather than attitude so hopefully with the right help he can come good for us too.

Finally, our manager has had numerous negative headlines throughout his career, even some whilst in america before he joined us but he was never dismissed as a transfer target due to all of that. It would also be abit hypocritical of him to dismiss players due to a few bad mistakes when he had his fair share himself. Maybe he saw how managers handled him and believes he can do it himself for others.

Anyway, my point is lets not just write players off before they pull on a Derby shirt just because they have made mistakes previously.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got no problem with giving players second chances. Some might find that surprising after my views on Joiners gate, but there’s a big difference between players committing offences while at Derby compared with elsewhere imo. We had to punish our players for what they did whilst at Derby. But I’ve got no problem with Keogh now getting a second chance at Huddersfield, for example. Players like Mendez-Laing and Edmundson have now had time to reflect on whatever they’ve done, and I’d hope they’re now both better characters, following disciplinary action at their previous clubs. So I’ve no issue with us giving them a second chance if they’ve got their attitude in order.

13 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Chris Martin too. Supposedly banned from every pub in Suffolk.

It was a blanket ban. Banned from one, banned from all.

He didn't travel the county getting banned from each individually ? 

(if he had, part of me couldn't help thinking "fair play")

World of difference between bad attitude and criminal behaviour in my opinion. Happy for anyone to have a 2 nd chance if they haven’t fitted in at another club. But personally wouldn’t be happy to give a 2 nd chance to a convicted criminal, for a crime I consider serious. That is obviously a subjective term but personally wouldn’t want Lawrence or Bennett signing for us if they had committed their misdemeanours elsewhere. Easy to say that when they are pretty poo but would hope to apply the same principles if we were linked to a good player. There must be a line for all people but the line won’t be in the same place 

37 minutes ago, 1967RAMS said:

World of difference between bad attitude and criminal behaviour in my opinion. Happy for anyone to have a 2 nd chance if they haven’t fitted in at another club. But personally wouldn’t be happy to give a 2 nd chance to a convicted criminal, for a crime I consider serious. That is obviously a subjective term but personally wouldn’t want Lawrence or Bennett signing for us if they had committed their misdemeanours elsewhere. Easy to say that when they are pretty poo but would hope to apply the same principles if we were linked to a good player. There must be a line for all people but the line won’t be in the same place 

I think we are always more likely to give second chances to those we like,  or rate.

I suspect if the sheikh had brought billions and somehow we had signed Ronaldo or messi people would forget their criminal past.

Same goes even for non criminals,  chances are if Ramage appeared on the PP pitch before a game it would be as popular as a fart in a lift,  but eranio would be treated to a hero's welcome. 

Just now, Rampage said:

Perfect example, Carl.

Genius players take more handling than lesser reliable players. A big test of Rooney's man management skills. Very difficult to argue with Wayne. The dude just plain has done and  knows most things.

4 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Got no problem with giving players second chances. Some might find that surprising after my views on Joiners gate, but there’s a big difference between players committing offences while at Derby compared with elsewhere imo. We had to punish our players for what they did whilst at Derby. But I’ve got no problem with Keogh now getting a second chance at Huddersfield, for example. Players like Mendez-Laing and Edmundson have now had time to reflect on whatever they’ve done, and I’d hope they’re now both better characters, following disciplinary action at their previous clubs. So I’ve no issue with us giving them a second chance if they’ve got their attitude in order.

Players who have been sacked are cheaper to sign, right. Every little counts. Just write them a suitable contract clause... If you do this. Then....

Peter Taylor said that Brian clough liked to sign good boys - clean cut players who had a good attitude and would submit to his will. Whereas Peter wasn’t afraid to buy the bad boys  - the kenny burns / Larry Lloyd types. 
in later years a lot of the players Peter signed were ditched by Clough very quickly because they didn’t fit the mould. 
In the 70s there were a lot of ‘characters’. I’m not sure Charlie was ever really a trouble maker. Some players enjoyed a drink - like Peter Osgood and Alan Hudson - but were also famous for training hard and giving 100 per cent on match day. 

we took a risk on Ibe and it seems to have failed. 
we thought we were taking a gamble on CKR but it seems we weren’t. His attitude is fantastic. some of the bother he got into is now a long time ago. 
on the whole I prefer the clean cut types. The bad boys have to be especially good to be worth the gamble.

11 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

We gave Lawrence a second chance as we did Bennett so why not Keogh, Lawrence was punished in the courts and therefore would be inappropriate to punish him twice but Keogh legally did nothing wrong in the eyes of the law but ended up faring the worst out of the 3 which in my opinion still seems totally grotesque.

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

We gave Lawrence a second chance as we did Bennett so why not Keogh, Lawrence was punished in the courts and therefore would be inappropriate to punish him twice but Keogh legally did nothing wrong in the eyes of the law but ended up faring the worst out of the 3 which in my opinion still seems totally grotesque.

FWIW I agree the treatment was unfair, I believe all 3 should have been sacked. But let’s not get into that again...

13 hours ago, IslandExile said:

It was a blanket ban. Banned from one, banned from all.

He didn't travel the county getting banned from each individually ? 

(if he had, part of me couldn't help thinking "fair play")

Surely you can’t get banned from every single pub ? most likely he was put on pub watch, but not every pub signs up to it. A mate of mine ended up on it after a scuffle in Burton, according to pub watch he was also banned from a Specific burton McDonald’s and Cineworld ??‍♂️

3 hours ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Surely you can’t get banned from every single pub ? most likely he was put on pub watch, but not every pub signs up to it. A mate of mine ended up on it after a scuffle in Burton, according to pub watch he was also banned from a Specific burton McDonald’s and Cineworld ??‍♂️

mate of mine ?  

Archived