Wage Bill Comparison

Mckram

Just a thought (trying to get away from take over talk) but with all the outgoings we’ve had over the last year or so, where do people think our wage bill sits now in comparison to the rest of the league?

I thought our team was very light but after looking at other teams there isn’t many bigger. Sheffield Wednesday’s squad and in particular forwards is barmy considering they’re in the same mess we are.

I’d assume we must be around 10th highest. I thought it would be lower than that but looking at the teams in the league and squad sizes I think we still have some big earners in comparison. 

The obvious ones above are Norwich, Watford, Bournemouth. I’d also put Stoke, Wednesday, Forest, Middlesbrough above us. Blackburn, Bristol City, Cardiff, Brentford, QPR and maybe Huddersfield around us or a little less.

I could be totally out here and somebody has some numbers they’ve pulled out to show a better picture.

If we are above 10th highest, it’s quite frightening how little we should actually be working off and shows that our recruitment/negotiating has been very poor for far too long now.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We’ve halved our wage bill since 17/18 - so it’s around £20,000,000 at the minute. I don’t know what impact Rooney becoming a manager will have had on it. Could have further reduced. 

£20,000,000 is similar to 14/15’s wage bill, for context. 

If I had to guess, I'd say 15th with £25.5m (group, non-covid). £2m pm is a easier number to work with though.

1. Watford
  2. Bournemouth
  3. Stoke
  4. Norwich
  5. Cardiff
  6. Swansea
  7. Reading
  8. Forest
  9. Huddersfield
  10. Bristol
  11. Birmingham
  12. Middlesbrough
  13. Sheff Weds
  14. Blackburn
  15. Derby
  16. Brentford
  17. Preston
  18. QPR
  19. Millwall
  20. Coventry
  21. Barnsley
  22. Rotherham
  23. Luton
  24. Wycombe

according 888.com the average championship wage for the 18/19 season was 29,000 per week. Two seasons on and I would think that that figure would have edged just over 30k per week. The highest paid player was on 68k per week.

Now that Rooney is off the player roster, I would think that there are no more than a couple of current players over that figure.

It’s got to be pretty low by now. Our squad is tiny and we’ve been heavily cutting costs for a couple of seasons now. Doesn’t matter how much lower you’ve made it though, it’s still going to be high enough that you’re ducked when no one is funding the club anymore. Which is where we’re at right now.

12 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

It’s got to be pretty low by now. Our squad is tiny and we’ve been heavily cutting costs for a couple of seasons now. Doesn’t matter how much lower you’ve made it though, it’s still going to be high enough that you’re ducked when no one is funding the club anymore. Which is where we’re at right now.

I’m not so concerned about the funding, I think no matter what happens we would be seen as an attractive proposition to somebody and Mel won’t just walk away. 

I do think we will still have some high earners though, I’d put Wisdom, Clarke, Davies, Bielik, Lawrence, Waghorn and Jozwiak at least in the £20k a week if not some on £30k.

26 minutes ago, Mckram said:

I do think we will still have some high earners though, I’d put Wisdom, Clarke, Davies, Bielik, Lawrence, Waghorn and Jozwiak at least in the £20k a week if not some on £30k.

Well Wis, Davies, Waghorn not likely to be on high wages with us for much longer.

Clarke are we paying all his wages? Joz is new in, surely we didn't overpay again?

Bielik worth it.

Tom, could be...

13 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If I had to guess, I'd say 15th with £25.5m (group, non-covid). £2m pm is a easier number to work with though.

Yep this is about right according to most sources. I think Brentford also have a higher wage bill than us so that'd place us 16th.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well Wis, Davies, Waghorn not likely to be on high wages with us for much longer.

Clarke are we paying all his wages? Joz is new in, surely we didn't overpay again?

Bielik worth it.

Tom, could be...

Yeah I’d imagine if nothing changed player wise then after this season with Clarke going back and others out of contract we would have one of the lowest in the league...which is pretty crazy considering where we were a few years ago.

Also a good starting point for any new investor! 

16 hours ago, cannable said:

We’ve halved our wage bill since 17/18 - so it’s around £20,000,000 at the minute. I don’t know what impact Rooney becoming a manager will have had on it. Could have further reduced. 

Was just going to post that this guess is nonsense but having looked at the squad it is probably not far off. 

It's actually a pretty good achievement to halve the wage bill in such a short time. 

16 hours ago, ram59 said:

according 888.com the average championship wage for the 18/19 season was 29,000 per week. Two seasons on and I would think that that figure would have edged just over 30k per week. The highest paid player was on 68k per week.

Now that Rooney is off the player roster, I would think that there are no more than a couple of current players over that figure.

I have no hard evidence but I doubt that figure. Certainly some parachute clubs will have highly paid players and from better times there will be some old guard players on that kind of money but I reckon "average" is much more likely to be closer to 10K 

Could it be that the suggested 30k figure is one that includes bonuses and a raft of other stuff that doesn't reflect what an average player in an average team is really getting ? 

If a squad is 25 players on this "average wage" that is equivalent to 750K per week or 39 million per year .. It just doesn't add up to me 

When you consider our experienced pros consist of 15 players then I would say that puts us with the smaller squads in the division. If you're being generous then you would allocate roughly £15k per head that would mean a wage bill of £11.7m a year across those 15 players - add in all the academy players then you're potentially looking at another £3-4m. If you take into account all the staff, etc, perhaps Rooney is currently the highest paid manager in the Championship (I doubt it, but I don't know) then I would say £20m at an absolute maximum. 

I don't doubt we're lower mid-table with regards to wage bills. I guess the likes of Sibley, Knight and Buchanan could be on more than I expect. It's hard to gauge what an academy player that breaks into the first team will be earning. 

18 hours ago, cannable said:

If accurate, in a typical season that's 2/3 of revenue, which I think is where it should be at most. 

1 hour ago, jono said:

I have no hard evidence but I doubt that figure. Certainly some parachute clubs will have highly paid players and from better times there will be some old guard players on that kind of money but I reckon "average" is much more likely to be closer to 10K 

Could it be that the suggested 30k figure is one that includes bonuses and a raft of other stuff that doesn't reflect what an average player in an average team is really getting ? 

If a squad is 25 players on this "average wage" that is equivalent to 750K per week or 39 million per year .. It just doesn't add up to me 

Based on the latest set of accounts, the total wages (inclusive of social security and pensions) for 24 Championship clubs comes to about £750m (also includes academy and non-playing staff wages). Once you strip out academy and non-playing staff wages (approx 10%) it gives the average first team squad player £21.6k pw.

5 hours ago, Mckram said:

I’m not so concerned about the funding, I think no matter what happens we would be seen as an attractive proposition to somebody and Mel won’t just walk away. 

I’m not so convinced, given the situation we’re in it’s hard to see anyone buying us. And Mel has already given up on us effectively.

I think we do have some high earners obviously, but no more than most clubs in the division. The ridiculously small squad size will bring the wage bill down a lot.

54 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Based on the latest set of accounts, the total wages (inclusive of social security and pensions) for 24 Championship clubs comes to about £750m (also includes academy and non-playing staff wages). Once you strip out academy and non-playing staff wages (approx 10%) it gives the average first team squad player £21.6k pw.

Bloody ridiculous 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I’ll be honest, that average is still way higher than I’d have guessed!

But when you actually think about some of the teams in this league, there’s a lot that have tried similar to us and had that 1 promotion season that’s saved them financially. There’s only really us, Forest and Birmingham that I can think of that went daft and it didn’t pay off at some point. 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

What is the average if the 3 most recently relegated clubs are removed from the calculation?

Archived