Musicians you go back to time and again

jono

4 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

Heaven 17 is an age thing. From being into Showaddywaddy as a kid I got into futurist stuff as an adolescent. I still listen occasionally to Yazoo, Japan, Human League, Depeche Mode and Soft Cell from the era, but Heaven 17 is the one I return to the most.

My ex General Science teacher called Mick Myers used to like Showaddywaddy. I gave him a cassette with some of their songs on to get out of a detention once. 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

The gut is without doubt a musical genius, and combined with Mr Marr they were absolutely the voice of a generation.....but his opinions of late have done a great deal to soil the beautiful image of him...unfortunately.

Ha ha not for me , Viva Moz forever !!!!!!

On 27/01/2021 at 18:32, Inverurie Ram said:

Billy Bragg, The Clash, Spear of Destiny, The Flaming Lips, Wilco, The Jesus & Mary Chain, Bob Dylan, The Byrds, Martin Stephenson, The Wedding Present, The Pixies, The Stranglers, Teenage Fanclub, Paul Heaton, Leonard Cohen, The Stone Roses, The Charlatans, Lloyd Cole, Trashcan Sinatras, Mercury Rev, Ride, The Cure, Paris Angels, Gavin Clark, Sunhouse, Clayhill, The Smiths, Morrissey, The Undertones, Buzzcocks, The Staple Singers, Tim Burgess, Joy Division, New Order, Alabama 3, The Pixies, British Sea Power, Natalie Merchant, 10,000 Maniacs, Happy Mondays, Inspiral Carpets, James, Echo & The Bunnymen, Cockney Rejects, UK Subs, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Of Monsters And Men, The Specials, Saint Ettiene, Gary Numan etc etc etc etc.

My first gig was in 1983 to see Gary Numan The Warriors tour at Aberdeen Capitol and I love all sorts of music and have attended hundreds of concerts since, seeing the same artists many times over. I've been back stage at Brixton Academy with Billy Bragg, met The Stone Roses on Sauchihall Street the first time they played Glasgow Green in the early 90's when I was on the guest list with friends, and have chatted to Shaun Ryder, Bez, David Gedge, Martin Stephenson etc and I will forever love music.

Slightly obsessed with The Wedding Present, as I've seen them play live over 80 times. I'm currently putting a folder together with the ticket stubs I've kept, I've found 76 of The Wedding Present so far.

The folders of all the other bands ticket stubs I've kept will keep me busy until the day I die.

Stinky Turner and Cockney Rejects live at The Ajanta club in Derby. Now there was a gig. 

54 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

Not many for Derbys own Anti Pasti. Quite a decent second gen punk band back in the day. Still have a listen to ” No Government” every now and then. 

Always preferred West Ham’s own rooster Sparrer or how about Derby’s own Moving Jelly Brothers. 

5 hours ago, Premier ram said:

in the process of writjng a new album , Martin Roper was vocals , Kev Nixon drums , he also did doorman duties in Sadlergate , good to have on your side if things got a bit lively

Quite a few in the band through the early years, Martin, Kev, Dougi, Stan, Stu... they were the ones I knew from back then. 

Kevs daughter Faye works for the Rams in quite a senior position, Lovely lass.

5 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

Quite a few in the band through the early years, Martin, Kev, Dougi, Stan, Stu... they were the ones I knew from back then. 

Kevs daughter Faye works for the Rams in quite a senior position, Lovely lass.

My mate Adi Lowe played drums for them for a while when Kev had surgery

8 hours ago, StockholmRam said:

Not many for Derbys own Anti Pasti. Quite a decent second gen punk band back in the day. Still have a listen to ” No Government” every now and then. 

Anti Pasti were ok, & there’s no denying that “No Government” was a good tune. Same with Derby’s other main contender The Enemy....but I think Avoid were better than either of them

But for Derbyshire’s finest punk/oi band, surely it has to be Blitz, by a mile....razors in the night, somebody’s going to die, & never surrender we’re all cracking tunes

14 hours ago, Seaside Ram said:

Of course everything the media write is true  , as the great man recently sung ...... stop watching the news !!!! 

That is just the problem, it’s not just things wrote in the media, It is drivel coming out of the once great mans mouth... his opinions on Tommy Robinson, dianne abbot, Kevin spacey and Harvey Weinstein are so far removed from my opinions on them that It has definitely tainted his legacy. Even Marr thinks he is a racist. 

Archived