Our Attacking Corners

Ellafella

One of the very notable improvements under Wazza are our attacking corners. It seems a long long time ago since we’ve been any kind of threat from an attacking corner. But now thanks to Shay Given, we look likely to score. And it’s all about the arcing inswinger with Byrne who delivers a beautiful dead ball from the left and Shinnie who does the same from the right. Bielik is a big threat with his size {I think he’s scored both his goals from corner balls} and Clarke, who I believe has now had 5 corner headers cleared off the line. 
A very notable improvement and credit where it’s due. 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

One of the very notable improvements under Wazza are our attacking corners. It seems a long long time ago since we’ve been any kind of threat from an attacking corner. But now thanks to Shay Given, we look likely to score. And it’s all about the arcing inswinger with Byrne who delivers a beautiful dead ball from the left and Shinnie who does the same from the right. Bielik is a big threat with his size {I think he’s scored both his goals from corner balls} and Clarke, who I believe has now had 5 corner headers cleared off the line. 
A very notable improvement and credit where it’s due. 

Agree but your post reminds me of QPR at Wembley. We were sitting by the corner flag and we had corner after corner, just pumped them in never looked like scoring. We were crying out for some variety 

Watching Chelsea last night and Sky flashed up some stats about goals scored from corners. Some team had not scored a goal from 90 corners (not us) and many other were not much better. With modern massive defenders, over protected keepers its not really a surprise.

Defenders never seem too bothered by them either.

The "old days" of getting excited when there was a corner are over and another part of the thrill of football leaching away! 

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I can't find corner specific info, but we've scored 8 of our 15 goals this season from set pieces (53%). Cardiff have the next highest percentage of goals from set pieces with 43% of their 30 goals.

I had wondered if we'd been making a specific play of (all) deadball situations, as it is one way we can be certain of being forward in numbers.

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I had wondered if we'd been making a specific play of (all) deadball situations, as it is one way we can be certain of being forward in numbers.

When you have the likes of Clarke, Bielik and Kazim in the team why wouldn't you? Add in the likes of Buchanan and we'll always have a decent chance against most sides.

18 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

When you have the likes of Clarke, Bielik and Kazim in the team why wouldn't you? Add in the likes of Buchanan and we'll always have a decent chance against most sides.

I agree, why wouldn't you but it seems that we've got good at it recently.

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

Agree but your post reminds me of QPR at Wembley. We were sitting by the corner flag and we had corner after corner, just pumped them in never looked like scoring. We were crying out for some variety 

You must have sat next to me at Wembley!

45 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I can't find corner specific info, but we've scored 8 of our 15 goals this season from set pieces (53%). Cardiff have the next highest percentage of goals from set pieces with 43% of their 30 goals.

Roughly translated - we have been crap from open play 

36 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Is 8 an unusual number for this stage of the season? I'm not sure.

I suspect the reason our % of goals from set pieces looks high is because we have done such a crap job of scoring goals from open play.

I'll leave this here for you to make a judgment on that question.

image.thumb.png.ffaf5679d0d04a8f95b034595debcea7.png

37 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Roughly translated - we have been crap from open play 

Let's be a bit more judicious here @Sparkle. Pre-Wazza as manager, we didn't seem to be too concerned as a Team to get forward or threaten the opponent's goal very much. Since Wazza came in as sole manager, our ability to carve open the opposition has been improved 500% and I can recall numerous occasions now where we have been in on goal only for poor finishing to be the thing that has let us down. The players who have "missed" - not wanting to generate a "blame" mentality merely to record the now numerous occasions we should've scored - Bucannan (2x), Jozwiak (2x), Byrne (2x), Sibley (3x), Knight (2x)....

So we haven't been crap from open play; since Wazza we have carved open top-of-the-table sides sometimes with apparent ease only for our finishing to have been th thing to have let us down - or at least some fine opposition goal-keeping. 

Will this get better? Undoubtedly. The simple law of averages states that sooner or later if we continue with our high-octane mobility and attacking in some numbers our finishing will start to improve. I suspect that as we discuss this, Wazza will be doing individual and group sessions on those moments in a game when a player suddenly realizes "oh cripes! I'm through on goal! what will I do next??!!". 

22 minutes ago, Rampant said:

Everything seems better under Rooney.

Attacking set pieces, defending set pieces, energy levels, desire, movement, attacking intent etc etc.

I was one who advocated giving Cocu time. I was wrong.

Most of us were wrong. Some for.longrt than others.

The success from corners is heavily weighted towards the delivery. The day they let Byrne and Shinnie have a go in training was the game changer. 
Aside from Rooney when he was on them, the likes of Bird, Lawrence etc were dreadful. 

Shinnie and Byrne consistently put it into the dangerous area between where the keeper comes out and our attacking players make the run. 

It’s a nice change to be a threat from set pieces. 

The assurance of the way that Rooney exudes impresses me. He is certain that we are staying up and going to make a stromg challenge next season. He knows which players that he wants. Most telling is him saying that if the players follow his instructions then we can give any team a game in this league. He has started building and it will bring good results.

3 minutes ago, 'Rambe33 said:

The success from corners is heavily weighted towards the delivery. The day they let Byrne and Shinnie have a go in training was the game changer. 
Aside from Rooney when he was on them, the likes of Bird, Lawrence etc were dreadful. 

Shinnie and Byrne consistently put it into the dangerous area between where the keeper comes out and our attacking players make the run. 

It’s a nice change to be a threat from set pieces. 

Spot on. Shinnie's arcing left-footer with height is reminiscent of Hinton. He scoops it up and the trajectory is a thing of beauty. It's is beautifully timed and dips late after looking as if it is going to go further. Byrne also has a great corner-delivery; he also gets great initial height and a lovely curve such that the ball's path looks to be heading for the far side of the 6 yard box, only for it to dip and boomerang in towards the goal quite late on. Clarke has started to read Byrne's balls {oh May-tron!!} quite well and time his header and has been so unlucky to have had umpteen goalline clearances. 

Perhaps a bit more joined-up choreography in the opponent's box and we can start to cash-in a bit more. Ironic that the architect of this is former goalkeeper and goal-keeping coach Shay Given but when you think about it goalkeepers spend an awful lot of time thinking about defending a corner so actually should be pretty expert and understand exactly where the "corridor of uncertainty" is for a keeper and instruct outfield players accordingly. 

36 minutes ago, Rampant said:

Everything seems better under Rooney.

Attacking set pieces, defending set pieces, energy levels, desire, movement, attacking intent etc etc.

I was one who advocated giving Cocu time. I was wrong.

I think it is easy to overlook the difference Bielik makes. We have the second best midfielder in the league available. He allows us to do so much more.

I said at the time though, if Rooney as manager showed the fight and desire he showed as a player(not here though!) it would serve us well. Yesterday was evident of that.

I don't feel it was wrong to have liked to have seen what Cocu would have done with Bielik fully fit. 

Archived