Our Attacking Corners

Ellafella

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Let's be a bit more judicious here @Sparkle. Pre-Wazza as manager, we didn't seem to be too concerned as a Team to get forward or threaten the opponent's goal very much. Since Wazza came in as sole manager, our ability to carve open the opposition has been improved 500% and I can recall numerous occasions now where we have been in on goal only for poor finishing to be the thing that has let us down. The players who have "missed" - not wanting to generate a "blame" mentality merely to record the now numerous occasions we should've scored - Bucannan (2x), Jozwiak (2x), Byrne (2x), Sibley (3x), Knight (2x)....

So we haven't been crap from open play; since Wazza we have carved open top-of-the-table sides sometimes with apparent ease only for our finishing to have been th thing to have let us down - or at least some fine opposition goal-keeping. 

Will this get better? Undoubtedly. The simple law of averages states that sooner or later if we continue with our high-octane mobility and attacking in some numbers our finishing will start to improve. I suspect that as we discuss this, Wazza will be doing individual and group sessions on those moments in a game when a player suddenly realizes "oh cripes! I'm through on goal! what will I do next??!!". 

I was in the main referring to the season as a whole as that’s what decides our final placing ( points deductions aside)

Agreed. I’m not convinced certain areas of our game have improved as much under Rooney as some would have you believe, but we certainly have improved significantly on our threat from indirect set pieces. It wasn’t just the start of this season we were crap at them, we’ve been no threat whatsoever for years - as long as I can remember in fact. It’s very wasteful when you can’t take advantage of situations like these. So massive credit to Rooney and the coaching staff for improving things on the training ground, it can’t have been easy. The recent deliveries from Shinnie in particular have been outstanding, makes it easy for the likes of Clarke and Bielik to get dangerous headers away, and forces the opposition defence to panic as well.

• 4 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Some praise should go to Waggy for his deliveries.

I remember him taking some really good corners against us for Ipswich a few years ago. It’s good to see him replicating that for us.

Yep the old Waggy to Christophe Berra combo did for us a few times!

Archived