Alternative Christmas lunch/dinner

Mostyn6

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear that you’ll be spending Christmas alone, @Mostyn6.

I did it once. I was stuck in Russia in my first year working abroad due to the financial crisis at the time.

Only the promise of a glamorous night at the ballet and cosy nights drinking mulled wine with a beautiful Ukrainian woman kept me going. It soon all unravelled, of course. It ended up being the worst Christmas I’ve ever had.

My advice would be to prepare a meal connected to some of your favourite memories, favourite people, or favourite places.

I know how much you love Greece, for example. Perhaps you could rustle up some moussaka, some steak skewers, or something connected to the good times you’ve spent there.

Fingers crossed you still manage to have an enjoyable day. ?

In all seriousness mate, It's a bummer that you're alone on Christmas day.

Assuming we're back to normal next year, we'll no doubt be invited out by family for Christmas lunch, but if you're still alone then, you'll be top of my invite list for Boxing Day at ours... Open house... come and go to times to suit the visitor/guest.
ColdTurkey/Cola Gammon, proper home made chips (the only day of the year the chip pan comes out... apart from this year!), pickles, salad, buttered cobs.  Free flowing wines, beers, spirits and liquors.

And if we're lucky enough to be at home, those attending the match not only get first sitting (Too many to sit down together!), but we can go through it all again, when we get back!  
Can be hectic some years, but hey, I guess that's what Christmas is all about.

And hey... it's not like we're total strangers, or there's a risk of you being a total head case, as I remember meeting you in person at least once, even if you don't recall!  ?

? 

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

It does sound a bit complex for me. 

in that case why didn't you post 'what flavour pot noodle should I have?'

?

4 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I’ve been shopping, without getting to read the responses, and decided to make a bit of effort. Bought Turkey. 

I hope you bought plenty of Brussels 

1 minute ago, Mucker1884 said:

In all seriousness mate, It's a bummer that you're alone on Christmas day.

Assuming we're back to normal next year, we'll no doubt be invited out by family for Christmas lunch, but if you're still alone then, you'll be top of my invite list for Boxing Day at ours... ColdTurkey/Cola Gammon, proper home made chips (the only day of the year the chip pan comes out... apart from this year!), pickles, salad, buttered cobs.  Free flowing wines, beers, spirits and liquors.

And if we're lucky enough to be at home, those attending the match not only get first sitting (Too many to sit down together!), but we can go through it all again, when we get back!  
Can be hectic some years, but hey, I guess that's what Christmas is all about.

And hey... it's not like we're total strangers, or there's a risk of you being a total head case, as I remember meeting you in person at least once, even if you don't recall!  ?

? 

Of course I remember, do you not recall my welcome when you landed on this site? 

Boxing Day is different, for years I had to spread myself thinly across different invites. Always two family events, one friend event and football to boot. 

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

Of course I remember, do you not recall my welcome when you landed on this site? 

Boxing Day is different, for years I had to spread myself thinly across different invites. Always two family events, one friend event and football to boot. 

Must admit, I'm relieved when we have a home game, as it does me the world of good to escape the mayhem for a few hours!  ?

As for your welcome for me on here, in all honesty no, I don't recall...  But please, take that as me having an extremely lousy memory, and not me being ignorant!  I'm happy for you to remind me, if you're so inclined.

PS:  I've had it all my life, so defo not senile... yet!   ?

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I, like many others, will probably now be alone on Christmas day. I’ve had a few alone over the years. Occasionally making the effort and having a Sunday type dinner, but on others, being brutally hungover and having a lazy lunch. Of my adulthood Christmas day companions, only my mother and brother are alive, I’ve lost 2 grandparents, a third is inactive due to a brain tumour being removed, an aunt has died and three of my closest friends have died too, all in last four years☹️  

I wouldn’t dream of imposing on anyone cos its for families and children. 

just looking for ideas for food. But pretty limited really. 

Thankfully I am not in your shoes (down to similar number of living relatives but seeing sister in law on the day) but if I were I would be having a massive Entrecôte type steak with chunky chips, onion rings and a ton of peas, probably washed down with some Chateau Neuf De Pape 

If weather was nice I would warm up with a nice long run. Exercise has got me through Corona.

Archived