Alternative Christmas lunch/dinner

Mostyn6

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going to do smoked salmon with cream cheese on rye bread (if I can get some) while we open presents with a bit of fizz but want to stay reasonably sober for the main event - nice joint of rolled beef sirloin, good and pink in the middle.  Mrs Jono doing home made Yorkshire’s, there’ll be horseradish, roast spuds, roast carrots, parsnips and as a concession to Christmas there will be pigs in blankets and crackers. Proper gravy, medley of green veg (no sprouts ?) .. Joint is big enough so there’ll be meat sarnies, pickles and cheese later on. I can be a right anal foodie at times but a real roast dinner without artifice is untouchable. 

A while back an Italian business colleague gave me some Barolo so there’s a bottle of that .. it’s 2003 so time to drink it I reckon .. and a little mean steak creeps in - this year I don’t have to share it with anyone other than Mrs J. I will really miss the visiting family with all the banter but at least my wine store will be spared a mauling. 

11 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

How did you dinner go @Mostyn6?

Late start mate. Have prepped the Turkey crown. Got the roasties in now to give them a headstart (can’t abide soft and undercooked roasties). Will whack the Turkey in and turn oven down in about half hour. Probably on for a 6pm dinner. 

Started on the white, moved on to the red, had a rosie, and some proseco, for main had some wanderlust, some hopocricy, some echelon, some peleton, some kasteel blond, some blanche bruxelles, some verdette, some leffe.

I've not had my pudding yet, but will have some per diem, some fyne ales, some frye's leap and will wash it down with an irish coffee and some whisky for supper.

And with me being a Northerner I might have some gravy on my cornflakes for Boxing Day!

I'm gonna give it one more Xmas.

Next year, I'm going for the most expensive, most free range turkey crown I can find, and if that still tastes crap I'm moving to Beef.

It's not the prep before anyone says ought, it was juicy and moist, it's just a particularly bland variety of meat which has the aftertaste of a chicken flavoured condom.

So I imagine.

37 minutes ago, Rev said:

Next year, I'm going for the most expensive, most free range turkey crown I can find, and if that still tastes crap I'm moving to Beef.

It's not the prep before anyone says ought, it was juicy and moist, it's just a particularly bland variety of meat which has the aftertaste of a chicken flavoured condom.

So I imagine.

I'm going to give it loads more Xmas's.

@Revyou need to get back to basics and enjoy food for what it is. There's people all around the world today that have gone without and your moaning about the blandness of your turkey and how your going to buy the most expensive turkey next year.

Have a pickled onion and think of all the poor souls in the gutter freezing their knackers off just dreaming about the warmth of a home or the warmth of any food whatsoever. On a more positive note I'm gonna have another beer!

1 hour ago, Rev said:

So I imagine.

Turkey breast joints wrapped in bacon are the best. 

Guaranteed to keep your bird moist 

ken.jpg

1 hour ago, Inverurie Ram said:

I'm going to give it loads more Xmas's.

@Revyou need to get back to basics and enjoy food for what it is. There's people all around the world today that have gone without and your moaning about the blandness of your turkey and how your going to buy the most expensive turkey next year.

Have a pickled onion and think of all the poor souls in the gutter freezing their knackers off just dreaming about the warmth of a home or the warmth of any food whatsoever. On a more positive note I'm gonna have another beer!

I feel quite bad now you've put it in perspective, but thankful that you have!

STFU Rev, and be grateful.

I won't have a pickled onion mind, love the space raider crisps but can't abide the texture of raw veg.

Christmas dinner ended up as homemade cream of vegetable soup (but er indoors wasn’t too happy because I’d put garlic in it). 

I’m not too fussed about feasting. Preferred to nibble and watch Remains of the Day.

Cheese, wine, crackers, 

any road mostyn - hope your day was ok

Archived