Alternative Christmas lunch/dinner

Mostyn6

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

34 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Anybody NOT having the traditional Turkey dinner on Christmas day? If not, what are you having??

You trying to score brownie points with @Davidby giving him a platform to launch his annual tirade against the humble turkey ?

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

We always have ham as an option for the one person in our family who doesn't eat poultry

do they think its fowl tasting ?

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

This is part 2 of the Christmas hamper David's sending out to everyone. He's already got the drinks sorted, veg will be next.

Not if he's buying it from sainsbury's ?

13 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

So, basically a carvery service! 

Yes. Our children alternate Christmas Day hosting as they have most space. 

I did about ten years on the trot so it's payback. 

I foolishly said that each year I would source and pay for the meat. 

I then realised what sophisticated palates my children (normally happy with McDonald's) have developed. 

Nice though. 

Recent events have put into perspective the amazing good luck we have had with our family. 

Just having a together day is hugely important and we will make Christmas Day special, rather than the filling for two boozy Christmas excuses. 

I, like many others, will probably now be alone on Christmas day. I’ve had a few alone over the years. Occasionally making the effort and having a Sunday type dinner, but on others, being brutally hungover and having a lazy lunch. Of my adulthood Christmas day companions, only my mother and brother are alive, I’ve lost 2 grandparents, a third is inactive due to a brain tumour being removed, an aunt has died and three of my closest friends have died too, all in last four years☹️  

I wouldn’t dream of imposing on anyone cos its for families and children. 

just looking for ideas for food. But pretty limited really. 

9 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I, like many others, will probably now be alone on Christmas day. I’ve had a few alone over the years. Occasionally making the effort and having a Sunday type dinner, but on others, being brutally hungover and having a lazy lunch. Of my adulthood Christmas day companions, only my mother and brother are alive, I’ve lost 2 grandparents, a third is inactive due to a brain tumour being removed, an aunt has died and three of my closest friends have died too, all in last four years☹️  

I would say that after such a rough time, eat what brings you comfort. 

Something you really enjoy. 

It will be worth the effort of buying / preparing it. 

This year we will be going with our usual turkey and pork for Christmas lunch. But in previous years we've gone with less traditional choices of beef wellington and sea bass. One year we even had a casserole, which meant we spend less time in the kitchen  on Christmas day.

28 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Get a decent piece of steak. Suitable for 1 person and you feel like you are having something special. 

51 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Have a curry

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Have a curry

Indian takeaways may be open, especially with more smaller gatherings than normal.

Or could make your own turkey tikka curry.

Maybe go to somewhere like M&S and buy nice stuff for your own buffet. Duck pate, buffalo mozzarella and nice tomatoes, fancy bread to dip in olive and balsamic, pot of alioli, posh scotch egg, finest pork pie, good olives, 3 pricey cheeses, a platter of italian hams etc. Spend all day working thru it.

Archived