New Manager

dantheram

20 minutes ago, sage said:

The positive eggs said we would improve when we some of our forwards are back. They are and we have. 

3 games until the 10 game marker, let's see where we are then.

If we are around mid table after those 3 then I would say yes things are turning around nicely.

Performances are taking an upward turn and we should have got 3 points last night, I feel incredibly bad for Cocu that he wasnt able to celebrate 3 points.

I hope the returning players do kick start the season I really do.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Or we could just talk about the here and now. Without viewpoints (and prejudice, ill feeling) held over past events.

I don't mean to say that everything that went before is it is irrelevant, but I largely consider the Norwich game to be a soft reset, a button we've had to hit with a few times already under Cocu's tenure often thorough things not under his control.

Obviously I'd rather people consider the recent positives more relevant than the recent negatives, but that's my idea of what support is. If people want to call it blind support that's up to them, but I believe we should always be at least a little bit biased in our own favour, but some aren't.

People bringing our pre-season results into things is really a pretty low blow as far as I'm concerned.

Happy to but not in this thread. 

See i don't really consider it a soft reset. I want to see a real run of the level of performance we saw last night and then I'll feel really good about Cocu finally getting a team he wants. 

I don't consider it a soft reset just because with the exception of Jozwiak we had these players fit last season. That's all. 

Anyway, this isn't the thread for this talk. This thread is called "next manager" and it shouldn't have been revived after the match. I said as much and then somehow it's all petty nonsense. 

I've just got a flavour of the comments over the past few hours and the first word which springs to mind is seriously? 

I don't even have the energy or inclination to reply to some of the more ridiculous posts never mind put laughing emojis against them which seems to be de rigueur nowadays for some of the same people.

4 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I don't even have the energy or inclination to reply to some of the more ridiculous posts never mind put laughing emojis against them which seems to be de rigueur nowadays for some of the same people.

Gave you the laughing emoji mate.

Thanks for letting us all know you won't be posting though. 

This thread is hilarious ?

6 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Thanks. Feeling included now ?

Kidding mate. You're a miserable sod but it's clear you love the club ? Your upbeat posts during the game yesterday make it clear you give credit where it's due and you seemed genuinely pleased by that. Honeslty, there are very few real self-loathers on the forum, I just think it gets noisiest when things aren't going well which perhaps gives a distorted view of the general consensus.

Us happy-clappers have just wanted Cocu to get a fair crack of the whip. That's all. If he fails, then out he goes, no bother, no recriminations. As I've said any number of times though, I don't believe that a fair assessment can't be made until he's had a decent length run with his team on the pitch for a while. Yesterday was much closer to our strongest 11 and I think the improvement was clear for all to see. Comparisons to last year are completely irrelevant. Joz, Jordon, Bielik, Rooney and the huge strides being made by Knight and Buchanan give the side a potentially very different look this season. Sibbo too, when he returns, will find himself in a very different outfit where the opposition will have a deal more than just his threat to mitigate. Given time and space to operate, we know the lad can be absolutely lethal. I think we're gonna be a real handful not too far down the road, but of course only time will tell.

COYR

Ah yes, the classic I told you so posts. You do realise no one who was being negative wanted to be correct, right? I’ll be delighted if I’m wrong about Cocu, absolutely delighted. But let’s get things straight here - one draw against a fellow struggling side doesn’t mean everything is now rosy. The performance was much improved, and that’s a real positive sign, as literally everyone has already said, including those posters who have previously been negative.

But it’s one game. We got a win against Norwich a few weeks back, but we then “backed that up” with two straight defeats without scoring. There’s literally no guarantees what direction we go from here. We all hope that yesterday was a turning point, but no one can be sure, so let’s stop acting like anyone with doubts over Cocu has now been proven to be some sort of idiot. I mean, let’s be fair, the facts remain that we’ve still only scored 1 goal from open play all season, and we’re still in the bottom three. There’s still a lot of work to be done before we can say that Cocu has proven the doubters wrong.

Also, FWIW, no one was saying we wouldn’t improve with the forwards back fit. What people were saying is that we should still have done better without them. Big difference. You shouldn’t be losing 4-0 to Blackburn, with or without Tom Lawrence. Simple as that. Injuries are a part of football, so as a manager, you’ve got to be able to get the best out of what you’ve got. Cocu hasn’t been doing that, that’s why he was rightly criticised for those early results. Just like McClaren was when we collapsed in 14/15 after injuries to Martin and Thorne. One draw yesterday doesn’t change the fact that those 5 losses still happened, and our start remains unacceptable, at least in my view.

Also, let’s stop with the “I’m a better fan than you because I’ve always backed the manager” baalocks. You don’t have to always have blind faith to be a proper fan. Rant over.

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Ah yes, the classic I told you so posts. You do realise no one who was being negative wanted to be correct, right? I’ll be delighted if I’m wrong about Cocu, absolutely delighted. But let’s get things straight here - one draw against a fellow struggling side doesn’t mean everything is now rosy. The performance was much improved, and that’s a real positive sign, as literally everyone has already said, including those posters who have previously been negative.

But it’s one game. We got a win against Norwich a few weeks back, but we then “backed that up” with two straight defeats without scoring. There’s literally no guarantees what direction we go from here. We all hope that yesterday was a turning point, but no one can be sure, so let’s stop acting like anyone with doubts over Cocu has now been proven to be some sort of idiot. I mean, let’s be fair, the facts remain that we’ve still only scored 1 goal from open play all season, and we’re still in the bottom three. There’s still a lot of work to be done before we can say that Cocu has proven the doubters wrong.

Also, FWIW, no one was saying we wouldn’t improve with the forwards back fit. What people were saying is that we should still have done better without them. Big difference. You shouldn’t be losing 4-0 to Blackburn, with or without Tom Lawrence. Simple as that. Injuries are a part of football, so as a manager, you’ve got to be able to get the best out of what you’ve got. Cocu hasn’t been doing that, that’s why he was rightly criticised for those early results. Just like McClaren was when we collapsed in 14/15 after injuries to Martin and Thorne. One draw yesterday doesn’t change the fact that those 5 losses still happened, and our start remains unacceptable, at least in my view.

Also, let’s stop with the “I’m a better fan than you because I’ve always backed the manager” baalocks. You don’t have to always have blind faith to be a proper fan. Rant over.

Change the record mate. It's dull as duck. Has anyone called you out specifically or are you just having a paddy by proxy. FFS.

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

In a nut shell, we have been woeful for weeks, Cocus tactics have been rubbish, substitutions baffling, goals from open play none existent, people had every right to be miffed.

Last night was great and the performance against Watford deserved more too. 

But last night was a local Derby, if players can't get up for that game then they shouldn't be in professional football.

The real markers are the next 2 or 3 games, where if things are truly improving we will pick up points and maybe go on an unbeaten run.

The positive eggs saying "told you so" after 1 performance which gave is 1 point are as bad as those saying sack him after 1 defeat. 

3 more games takes us to the magic 10 marker, let's see where we are after that.

Cocu is learning in the job. It’s taken him a while but that’s great. Let’s hope when all players are available he remembers where the performances came from and where their best positions are. If he reverts to type ie slow, negative, sideways nonsense he will be history. Last night was totally different but let’s not pretend that’s what he has tried to push for 14 months.

23 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Change the record mate. It's dull as duck. Has anyone called you out specifically or are you just having a paddy by proxy. FFS.

I’m not having a paddy, I’m just a bit fed up of the constant Vitriol aimed at posters who are perceived to be negative. This is supposed to be a forum where anyone can come on and express their views. I’m not saying people can’t disagree with other posters, that sort of debate is what a forum is all about, but some of it gets quite personal at times. I just want people to be more tolerant of other views, even if they don’t agree with them, that’s all. It doesn’t make someone a bad fan just because they don’t believe in the manager.

FWIW I’ve been pretty much universally positive about yesterday’s performance. I’ve only commented on here because of snide comments from other posters.

16 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

FWIW I’ve been pretty much universally positive about yesterday’s performance. I’ve only commented on here because of snide comments from other posters.

That's the whole point right there! Have I've missed the litany of 'I told you so' posts directed at you specifically, or are you just moaning about nothing? I doubt there's a single post on this thread where anyone been snide about your evaluations of the team or the manager. I mean, who is your post even directed at? If you're going to whine about other posters, then at least have the stones to quote them.

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Kidding mate. You're a miserable sod but it's clear you love the club ? Your upbeat posts during the game yesterday make it clear you give credit where it's due and you seemed genuinely pleased by that. Honeslty, there are very few real self-loathers on the forum, I just think it gets noisiest when things aren't going well which perhaps gives a distorted view of the general consensus.

Us happy-clappers have just wanted Cocu to get a fair crack of the whip. That's all. If he fails, then out he goes, no bother, no recriminations. As I've said any number of times though, I don't believe that a fair assessment can't be made until he's had a decent length run with his team on the pitch for a while. Yesterday was much closer to our strongest 11 and I think the improvement was clear for all to see. Comparisons to last year are completely irrelevant. Joz, Jordon, Bielik, Rooney and the huge strides being made by Knight and Buchanan give the side a potentially very different look this season. Sibbo too, when he returns, will find himself in a very different outfit where the opposition will have a deal more than just his threat to mitigate. Given time and space to operate, we know the lad can be absolutely lethal. I think we're gonna be a real handful not too far down the road, but of course only time will tell.

COYR

I can't argue with any of that ?

49 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I’m not having a paddy, I’m just a bit fed up of the constant Vitriol aimed at posters who are perceived to be negative. This is supposed to be a forum where anyone can come on and express their views. I’m not saying people can’t disagree with other posters, that sort of debate is what a forum is all about, but some of it gets quite personal at times. I just want people to be more tolerant of other views, even if they don’t agree with them, that’s all. It doesn’t make someone a bad fan just because they don’t believe in the manager.

You and several other Cocu "doubters" are fair minded and give constructive criticisms and a balanced view.

Regrettably not all fall into that same category. If you consider my comments as being "snide" then 1. that was not intended and 2. my comments were directed to those who were personally sniping at everything to do with Cocu and not those merely discussing tactics etc.

I'm sure you have seen such posts, maybe you've let them pass over more easily than I have. I don't subscribe to Twitter so maybe such vitriol has a bigger impact on me.

On 22/10/2020 at 23:06, Ghost of Clough said:

Only one positive? Plays entertaining football, knows the youths and how to use them effectively...

Yes, no doubt good at running the academy. Different job to managing the 1st team, which Wassall has already had a go at. That didn't go too well....

2 minutes ago, europia said:

Yes, no doubt good at running the academy. Different job to managing the 1st team, which Wassall has already had a go at. That didn't go too well....

Nonsense. Had zero transfer window. Had none of “his own” players.

Archived