New Manager

dantheram

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Steve Cooper would be a surprisingly logical appointment.

For that reason, it won’t happen.

To be honest until very recently I wouldn't have thought he was even an option. I'm still not convinced he is. 

If he's available though it would make for a good fitting appointment.

I just can't shake the feeling we are about to make a serious mistep.

..is that really a question..?

Never been an advocate of knee jerk appointments or dismissals.

All I was alluding to was the fact that this group of players should  be capable of much better things.

Whilst I was saddened to see us part with Cocu as I had bought into his 'project', we should quite quickly see if there was a disconnect between his philosophy and methods with this group of players.

24 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Simon Jordan on Talksport (one of the few to normally speak some sense) has suggested that Nigel Pearson is the ideal man for Derby.....the media in this country are embarassing..

I guess it's easy to forget that he's already had a crack at the job and it didn't go well. He did well with Watford last season, he's done a good job in most of his roles so it's not a ridiculous suggestion, but yeah - it obviously wouldn't happen. 

Pearson is a good manager and I think he would do well at this level, but it didn't work here and a second chance wouldn't be popular with fans at all. 

2 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I guess it's easy to forget that he's already had a crack at the job and it didn't go well. He did well with Watford last season, he's done a good job in most of his roles so it's not a ridiculous suggestion, but yeah - it obviously wouldn't happen. 

Pearson is a good manager and I think he would do well at this level, but it didn't work here and a second chance wouldn't be popular with fans at all. 

I can concede he has done well elsewhere but I'd say it was more than merely not working out, he was dreadful and made a litany of strange, odd or outright bad decisions.

Tactically he didn't seem to know what it would even take to get his preferred system to work and I don't buy the argument he didn't have the players for it because Rowett essentially got the same system going with an almost identical squad.

16 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I would love Pearson back. Fortunately Mel has finished with his tinkering on training ground tactics, and will probably not be the decision maker.

Pearson has an excellent record, and was never given the chance to really start what he wanted to do at Derby. 

I can't see it happening though, that's why he was not in my preferred 3 choices of who are either available or might possibly accept the job.

21 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Although I don't think it'll happen (especially if Mel is still involved) I would say appointing him in our current situation makes far more sense than it did when we actually did appoint him.

3 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Although I don't think it'll happen (especially if Mel is still involved) I would say appointing him in our current situation makes far more sense than it did when we actually did appoint him.

I don't know. We're still heavily reliant on the growth of our academy/young players. He doesn't have a overly stellar reputation with regards to progressing young players, certainly not a well-known reputation. 

A manager with an emphasis on the coaching side is what we need. An Arsene Wenger lite, if you will. 

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I know very little of Cooper, other than he is the current manager of Swansea, and am I right in thinking he was highly regarded within the England youth set up?

If he were to leave a 6th place team to join the bottom of the table team there must be something about the project that excites him.

Swansea have dropped down from a Cat 1 to Cat 2 academy this season. The Academy manager has recently been shown the door too. In terms of recruitment, they've been reliant on top loans. Despite receiving parachute payments and big profits on player sales, they have still made losses since returning to this league. IT's their final year now, so failure to go up means cutting back considerably.

I can see why he'd want to come here, but 1 more season with Swansea playing good football and he'll get a chance with a PL club, just like Potter did before him.

38 minutes ago, DC-1975 said:

McClaren won 1 out of his final 9 games, before being sacked. Rowett managed the last 9 games of the season, winning 4 and drawing 3. It was those results that got us up to 9th.

McClaren - 42 points from 26 games = 1.62 points/game

Rowett - 15 points from 9 games = 1.67 points/game

Rowett made little difference.

The following season Rowett yielded 1.63 points/game. Same(ish) rate as Mac2, only we now had to put up with Rowet-ball and the Dad’s Army he assembled. Thank **** Stoke were mugs enough to rescue us. ?

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

I don't know. We're still heavily reliant on the growth of our academy/young players. He doesn't have a overly stellar reputation with regards to progressing young players, certainly not a well-known reputation. 

A manager with an emphasis on the coaching side is what we need. An Arsene Wenger lite, if you will. 

That's a fair point, but at the time we hired him we had a top squad that had failed in the play offs and needed some finishing touches and a bit more grit/hard work to get over the line. So Nigel said yes Mel, then proceeded to try to break it down to build it in his image and did most of the breaking only. Also bought Anya.

However, now, we have a broken team already in need of some direction and players i could see working well with him - we've no big number 9 but if we were to go 4-4-2 counter with Jozwiak, Whittaker, Trialist, Ibe, Waghorn and Lwarence, the industry of Knight, sibley, Shinnie and so on, i could see it working "better" - I've no idea on his record with young players, but i don't remember it being a thing for him, so that's right.

Even so, i doubt it'd be him.

The more I keep thinking about who’s next, the more I think it will be Rosenior/Rooney until at least the end of the season.

I just don’t think we will throw away the monetary factor of ‘the Rooney effect’ that easily and I think to bring in another manager would effectively be saying to Rooney you’re not in our plans to become manager ever.

There’s also the chance that Rooney comes in and does an incredible job, goes to a big club and we have another earner from it.

If we weren’t struggling with FFP i’d not be saying this, but that potential income from extra TV money and future compensation for him will surely be a factor in the decision making.

2 minutes ago, Mckram said:

The more I keep thinking about who’s next, the more I think it will be Rosenior/Rooney until at least the end of the season.

I just don’t think we will throw away the monetary factor of ‘the Rooney effect’ that easily and I think to bring in another manager would effectively be saying to Rooney you’re not in our plans to become manager ever.

There’s also the chance that Rooney comes in and does an incredible job, goes to a big club and we have another earner from it.

If we weren’t struggling with FFP i’d not be saying this, but that potential income from extra TV money and future compensation for him will surely be a factor in the decision making.

Yes, we are not going to change anything players wise until January. In the interim it will be Wayne & Liam. It will be interesting to see how it works out. If we win every game I guess everyone will be happy...but maybe not!

3 minutes ago, DC-1975 said:

I'm not arguing for Rowett back, just like I wouldn't want McClaren back, it's time to move on.

As for Dad's army, McClaren signed Warnock and Nugent had Bent on loan with a deal to sign in the summer and I would guess had lined up Carson and Baird as I think both were signed before we appointed Clement.

How many youth players did he pick in league games. I can only think of Hanson. He preferred loans.

Mac I
Continued to give a 16 year old Bennett the occasional game
18 year old Hughes was an ever present
21 year old Hendrick was a regular
Gave Hanson a short run of games (still only 18)
Gave Kwame Thomas and Calero a taste of first team football.

Mac II
Gave Lowe his first real run of games.
Gave Hanson a few more games.
Hughes still a regular.
Note: the squad was excessively bloated. It would have taken a lot to drop several senior players out of the squad completely, to give the likes of Rawson, MacDonald, Elsnik, Vernam, Zanzala and Jakobsen a go.

From the latest The Athletic article:

"Being calm by nature wasn’t just a public front, the former Barcelona and Holland midfielder was also that way in private. Neither shouting nor the cliched throwing of tea cups were in his repertoire and could have been seen as not holding players to account. The task of fiery assessments was often left to Rooney.

The former Manchester United and England striker delivered a furious post-match team talk last season after Derby surrendered a 1-0 lead to lose 3-2 to then bottom-of-the-table Luton Town in late January. The Athletic understands Rooney delivered a similar speech in September following the 4-0 home thrashing by Blackburn Rovers."

33 minutes ago, DC-1975 said:

I'm not arguing for Rowett back, just like I wouldn't want McClaren back, it's time to move on.

As for Dad's army, McClaren signed Warnock and Nugent had Bent on loan with a deal to sign in the summer and I would guess had lined up Carson and Baird as I think both were signed before we appointed Clement.

How many youth players did he pick in league games. I can only think of Hanson. He preferred loans.

No, I’m not particularly arguing for him back either, although I would accept him if appointed. I’m just bemused when he’s dismissed out of hand. Rowett, I would quite happily dismiss though.

6 hours ago, Beetroot said:

What's everyone's problem with Johm Gregory all of a sudden? I know he got FC Nazereth relegated. And obviously after that he was leading FC Ashdod to relegation before they sacked him. But he went on to narrowly AVOID relegation with FC Kairat! And then he went on to WIN the Indian Super League with Chennaiyin! I know what you're thinking, they'd just won the league anyway - but he still won it. 

What's Benitez ever won?

Yes Cocu won the Dutch league what good was that for Derby? 

1 minute ago, DC-1975 said:

I'd argue that Hendrick and Hughes were already established 1st team players. He also dropped Hughes in both spells.

Can't remember Bennett getting much game time other than in the Ipswich game 4-4.

Thomas and Calero only in cup games. All managers play youth in cup games now days.

He did give Lowe a run, but would he if Forsyth had been fit? Doubtful

So when you said "How many youth players did he pick in league games", you actually meant give debuts and keep in the team?
There was also a very long list of U21 players we had on loan.

Archived