Arsenal vs Derby U23s: Matchday Thread

Ghost of Clough

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I suppose the sending off has scuppered an chance of Duncan getting a few minutes too which is a shame. I'd thought with Stretton presumably in the senior squad tomorrow, he might have got some meaningful game time.

Can’t believe he didn’t get on for JHI who was hopeless.

17 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

Very poor and immature from McDonald. We all saw it coming, just a shame the coaching staff didn’t so they could sub him. He has obviously impressed in to make the first  team bench but he has had a nightmare tonight.

It is often said it is a mark of a player how they react to going back down to under 23s after experience with the first team squad. It doesn't seem to have done McDonald any favours so far.

Of course, he isn't even the first choice right back for the under 23s yet as Festy Ebosele would be playing if fit. He will hopefully learn from this.

And JHI seems bereft of both confidence and match fitness. 

Can’t believe people are actually moaning and groaning (and analysing ffs) an u23 game. Back when football was sensible nobody gave a flying fig about reserve games. They were a means to an end. These matches are still a means to an end. Sure, it’s nice to do well, but losing these games (away to Arsenal, oh the shame) really doesn’t matter. 
It’s great that people can watch these games and see the younger players coming through, but just let them play and learn.

1 minute ago, LazloW said:

Can’t believe people are actually moaning and groaning (and analysing ffs) an u23 game. Back when football was sensible nobody gave a flying fig about reserve games. They were a means to an end. These matches are still a means to an end. Sure, it’s nice to do well, but losing these games (away to Arsenal, oh the shame) really doesn’t matter. 

I agree and I have always looked at these matches as an opportunity to see how young players are developing. It's all about their progression.

I do feel that our excellent progress in integrating some of our exceptional academy talent into the first team has put a wider spotlight on the academy from supporters who perhaps still have a lot to learn about the game themselves.

We did have a bit of booing at some academy games last season before lockdown. It was embarrassing. 

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

What do you think might be behind JHIs loss of form Angie? 

Is it as simple as just being one of those things?  We were hoping that he might be able to fill a gap for the first team.....

Sitting around on the bench all season instead of playing football. He's only had two or three games for the academy and a few minutes for the first team. He's definitely lost his match sharpness.

Also plenty of time to be thinking "Am I good enough?" Cocu's public comment about his post lockdown fitness can't have helped.

When he did finally get on the pitch for the first team and looked threatening, he was dropped from the squad. What sort of message does that give? 

Now he appears to be training with first team and playing with an academy that has several new players who he hasn't regularly trained with. 

I find it interesting that everyone is clamouring for starts for Duncan - who hasn't yet played any significant football - and Stretton, because he is scoring now. Whilst I can understand the latter (not the former) and really want him to succeed too, JHI was banging them in at an equally impressive rate last year but didn't get his chance.

I am now of the opinion he needs a loan. 

When we talk of the success of bringing through academy players there are always going to be casualties if the timing and treatment isn't right. 

11 minutes ago, angieram said:

I am now of the opinion he needs a loan. 

I couldn't agree more. After not getting a chance when we had no fit forwards it was even more disappointing that he didn't get a loan in the last window. Peterborough would have been perfect for him due to the amount of chances they create for their forwards.

We have a large first team squad and the U23s are in a fantastic position now where we can afford to send the older ones out on loan - the ones who aren't getting the first team minutes they need to push on. Wassall, Shonibare, Trialist, Bateman, Yates and Cresswell, amongst others, should all be sent out.

12 hours ago, angieram said:

I agree and I have always looked at these matches as an opportunity to see how young players are developing. It's all about their progression.

I do feel that our excellent progress in integrating some of our exceptional academy talent into the first team has put a wider spotlight on the academy from supporters who perhaps still have a lot to learn about the game themselves.

We did have a bit of booing at some academy games last season before lockdown. It was embarrassing. 

Booing at academy games ??‍♂️

The moaning and groaning seeping into the u23 match threads is a sorry state of affairs, the pretty much sums this place up at the moment.

Archived