Arsenal vs Derby U23s: Matchday Thread

Ghost of Clough

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, rynny said:

McDonald needs to be careful, otherwise he is going to get himself sent off, giving away too many fouls. 

Very lucky not to be sent off just then. Was awarded the free kick but got up and shoved the Arsenal player double-headed in the chest. Without penalty. Should definitely take him off bego he does anything else daft. 

Awful goal to concede defensively. Simple passing, not doing anything fancy, found the Arsenal striker completely unmarked on the penalty spot. How does that happen? 

My picture is *really* dark. Maybe our defenders couldn't see very well either? 

10 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I'm not sure how Wassall retains his place to be honest. I don't want to be unkind but I don't see him progressing at all. He tries hard but he just doesn't have the same sort of ability as most of those around him. Need to regroup again now ?

I thought he was in there to add a bit of leadership and experience to a relatively young side. But alongside te Wierik we should have gone with Solomon

3-1. A lot of space for their winger once again to curl an effort in to the far corner

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I thought he was in there to add a bit of eadership and experience to a relatively young side. But alongside te Wierik we should have gone with Solomon

Exactly what I was thinking. Solomon didn't look out of place in the first team, least to my eyes. Poor old te Wierik not exactly having a great time of it either. Really feel for the lad. His 'dream move' is turning out to be a nightmare, especially now Cocu has left. I watched as much tape of him as I could find and there's definitely a player in there, but he looks so short on confidence right now. 

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

Just like the first team. No one who can win a physical battle or keep the ball under pressure. 

Full backs have been poor but it can't help the defence having Te Wierik thrust upon them. 

He hasn't stood out at all. 

Very rare senior pros playing in this level for the odd game do stand out.

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

Just like the first team. No one who can win a physical battle or keep the ball under pressure. 

Full backs have been poor but it can't help the defence having Te Wierik thrust upon them. 

He hasn't stood out at all. 

I spent the first 45 minutes trying to figure out which one he was!

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I didn't recognise Mari - another £7m. Chamber £16m.

Their U23 defence cost more than our entire squad at all levels ?

Puts it in perspective, doesn't it? 

I am sure it is not helping having several of our squad training with the first team over the last few weeks as the fluidity is missing.

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

3-1. A lot of space for their winger once again to curl an effort in to the far corner

Again way too easy. When I was playing I always used to try to engineer those situations where you could curl it round a defender into the far corner. Here we just stood off and let him. 

We had a really good spell for 15 minutes in the first half when we equalized, but apart from that it's been very poor. No rhythm or slick passing, and an awful lot of aimless punta. That's not us. On the whole this is maybe one of the worst U23 performances I've seen for a while. 

Something that really annoys me is we won the ball back and broke their line 5 minutes ago. When you do that you simply have to charge forward with pace. Attack attack attack. Instead the ball went up to Hector-Ingram (probably the wrong pass) but he just protected it and passed it all the way back into our half, allowing the whole Arsenal team to regroup. We kept the ball and eventually we put a (hopeful) cross in but it was easily headed away. 

Good brief spell from Derby but now, as expected, McDonald is sent off. Awful from him but awful management too, unless they're deliberately trying to teach him a lesson about self-discipline. 

Archived