Does Rooney have to play?

sage

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't start such speculation.  A simple question like this turns into "very concerning if true" which turns into " what, Rooney has to play, that's terrible" to the conventional wisdom becoming that Rooney has to play and that everybody knows it to be true and have always known it to be true.

I prefer to think that Cocu thought we have a player on the books who has played 100s of games at the top level, is England's top goal scorer of all time, has a remarkable presence in the team and that, while out of form, class is permanent.  It actually takes a brave man to write somebody like Rooney off.  I would have played him today.

4 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Don't start such speculation.  A simple question like this turns into "very concerning if true" which turns into " what, Rooney has to play, that's terrible" to the conventional wisdom becoming that Rooney has to play and that everybody knows it to be true and have always known it to be true.

I prefer to think that Cocu thought we have a player on the books who has played 100s of games at the top level, is England's top goal scorer of all time, has a remarkable presence in the team and that, while out of form, class is permanent.  It actually takes a brave man to write somebody like Rooney off.  I would have played him today.

It's reasonable speculation as a 3rd party are paying a substantial chunk of his wages. They are doing this because of the publicity.

Would you pick him on Wednesday if Jozwiak is fit?

1 minute ago, sage said:

It's reasonable speculation as a 3rd party are paying a substantial chunk of his wages. They are doing this because of the publicity.

Yes... for Lawrence ?

1 minute ago, sage said:

NO, I'd have Lawrence, Waghorn and Jozwiak and neither Shinnie or Knight deserve dropping.

But Rooney will be in the team and I've personally long suspected there's a must play arrangmnet for him, but that is only my speculation and no more than that.

But if you don't want to pick him then it would be very easy for him to have a minor injury that allows him to miss a game.  If Jozwiak had been fit I would guess Rooney would have been on the bench today so maybe there's no out and out requirement to play him every game.

4 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

But if you don't want to pick him then it would be very easy for him to have a minor injury that allows him to miss a game.  If Jozwiak had been fit I would guess Rooney would have been on the bench today so maybe there's no out and out requirement to play him every game.

Moor Farm, Cocu contemplates selection for the matches against QPR and Barnsley........."Graham, do me a favor, Wayne needs a slight injury for the next two matches"

22 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Moor Farm, Cocu contemplates selection for the matches against QPR and Barnsley........."Graham, do me a favor, Wayne needs a slight injury for the next two matches"

Expect fall out for this, radioactive etc.

I would be amazed if 32 Red have not put some stipulation within the contract that he must be picked if fit to maximise their marketing potential. If he doesn’t play money therefore could be withheld/ clawed back. I might be wrong, but that is where I would put my money if I was going down to Corals.

DF20F995-7022-4FDB-B934-141CC5A6435D.jpeg

Archived