Abu Derby County

tinman

18 hours ago, GenBr said:

Breaching FFP is not within the rules though is it - christ alive. He is lucky the EFL changed the rules when they did and then agreed to allow us to sell the stadium when they did otherwise we'd have had a points deduction. He cocked up spunking too much money away on players and had to sell the stadium to fix said mistake. He didnt sell the stadium to be able to invest more - he sold it to cover the problems created in previous seasons.

Backing the manager is a meaningless statement. He knew the limits of what he could spend and failed to follow them. By your logic Mel can just give his manager £100 mill to spend and ignore FFP because he is "backing the manager"

depends on how the spend is being deployed. There's been a lot of stuff on the FFP rules over various threads but a big chunk is how much "loss" you incur on player purchases and sales.

Since, by definition, you cannot know the final outcome on a player purchase until the end, you don't know precisely how "much" you can spend in advance - you have to plan on the basis of making reasonable assumptions that may or may not turn out.

We have been hurt badly by making several purchases which subsequently led to complete write-offs with no big profits to offset. I suspect that the financial planning assumptions have been woefully undershot.

In theory, Mel COULD spend £100m on a single transfer - if you were confident that you could sell for 100m in say 3 years then effectively your finances would only bear the salary cost. Is that a risky approach? Absolutely!

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Van Rammeister said:

By any objective measure they are.

A quick check of Wiki will inform you that they have: 

6 league titles (we have 2)

2 FA Cup wins (us 1)

1 Charity Shield (us 1)

2 League Cup Final appearances (us 0)

Plus- they have a 49,000 capacity stadium.

What criteria were you using? 

Plus they are much bigger city. 341,000. And average home gate 30,169 for 19/20 and that’s in League 1

4 hours ago, SFox1993 said:

I could be wrong but i dont think this is true

FFP being wiped makes no sense. Mel could agree how much to overspend by, and the incoming new owner buys at the price plus the overspend amount. It would make FFP completely irrelevant if you can find someone to buy from you.

2 hours ago, Van Rammeister said:

By any objective measure they are.

A quick check of Wiki will inform you that they have: 

6 league titles (we have 2)

2 FA Cup wins (us 1)

1 Charity Shield (us 1)

2 League Cup Final appearances (us 0)

Plus- they have a 49,000 capacity stadium.

What criteria were you using? 

I would agree they are bigger for sure. But not necessarily for trophies won, success and size don’t always correlate in my opinion. I think the main indicator would be fanbase. Sunderland have a lot of trophies but they have not won much in recent times. If we use trophies as an indication, then Blackburn are far bigger than Leicester and Huddersfield are far bigger than Boro etc etc. 

Sunderland and Derby are one club cities but the wearside population is greater than Derby’s.

28 minutes ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

I would agree they are bigger for sure. But not necessarily for trophies won, success and size don’t always correlate in my opinion. I think the main indicator would be fanbase. Sunderland have a lot of trophies but they have not won much in recent times. If we use trophies as an indication, then Blackburn are far bigger than Leicester and Huddersfield are far bigger than Boro etc etc. 

Sunderland and Derby are one club cities but the wearside population is greater than Derby’s.

Yep- and stadium size (especially a relatively new one like theirs) although not an absolute measure, implies a large potential catchment area.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

DT: "Barring any late hitches, the deal should be made a formality this month."

No hurry then? Or edging their bets!

That suggests the deal isnt finalised, probably loose ends to tie up. One things for sure, it's gotten further than the Newcastle takeover. Although the Wigan mess proves an approval from the EFL needs sod all.

1 minute ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

That suggests the deal isnt finalised, probably loose ends to tie up. One things for sure, it's gotten further than the Newcastle takeover. Although the Wigan mess proves an approval from the EFL needs sod all.

Further into the article it says:

At Thursday's weekly board meeting, the EFL board has given Derby the green light which, barring any late hitches, should make the deal a formality this month...With talks now in the final stages, and due diligence completed, the EFL's approval is seen as a hugely positive step forward for Mel Morris, the club's current owner and chairman.

Archived