Abu Derby County

tinman

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

How have we lost our stadium?

The person that owns the club owns the stadium.

No person owns the club or the stadium. Two separate Companies (and separate legal entities) own each. If, god forbid, the Company that owns the club goes into Administration, the Administrator would only have a club to sell, with a lease of the ground. This would probably reduce the number of investors who might have an interest in our club, as the second Company holds the biggest tangible asset.  

30 minutes ago, biellaram said:

Hi Rampage

outstanding? What would you grade him if we’d been promoted then??? Lots of truth in what you say. For what it’s worth, I have a lot of respect for him and like him. He’s been unlucky for sure. And his heart probably is in the right place. But I’m sorry, crediting him for the academy which then sells off talent to the PL for low fees...? What’s the point? Taking the stadium? The FFP duck up? How does that factor in for outstanding? Lost our best young players for almost nothing and lost our stadium to save us from his mismanagement. Would you not agree with that last sentence? 

Had not seen that he is definitely keeping the Stadium. Has this been confirmed seeing as not signed yet. You cannot get more money for a player than a Club will offer. Hughes could not get in the team when we sold him which was not Mel's fault. Only one Club made an offer. We needed the money. How is it Mel's fault. If you are struggling for cash you have to balance the books. Mel paid for the Academy and pays the staff. FFP - never did understand it, so no comment. He bought the Stadium for £80 million. He put £100 million of his own money in the Club. He is a businessman not a charity. We got good money for Hendrick and Lowe in my opinion. We could not sell Hughes at the peak of his powers. Bogle has got to prove himself in the Premiership yet. He may be a £60 million player at some point or he may not. Not every player makes the transition. All a matter of opinion. Mel is a Derby fan through and through. If I had his money I would not have risked it like he did, would you, bielaram.

17 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Clearly..

They are talking about us challenging for the prem, IF we are allowed to spend the money.

There are just setting up the likes of Barry from Burton for mega disappointment.

God I’ve just listened too it, how over the top, they will win the league everything they are going into this without checking facts

Just now, Abu Derby said:

Look guys, nothing to be really concerned here. He isn’t daft and clearly is worth a bob or two - the fact that he bid 2m for Liverpool proves this. He will have access to many gigamillions of pounds that he can dispose of as he pleases. 

As much as I hate The Victims, I think even I would be tempted to bid at that price.

1 hour ago, Rampage said:

Mel has been outstanding. Built a frankly almost unbelievable Academy. Pumped a lot of his own money in. Missed promotion twice by a goal at Wembley. Tried a variety of likely to be successful managerial appointments. Been unlucky in a few things.

I'm not so sure on the academy yet.

It's not like Moor Farm was sub standard before, he's only added a few bits to it, admittedly nice additions, which are beneficial the the whole club.

Getting Cat One status seemed like a personal mission of his, if it's worth the £6m a year running cost only time will tell.

We'll find out in 5 years time, seeing as the commonly held belief is academy investment takes 10 years to produce a return. 

We've sold four players upwards since Mel took charge, Hughes, Hendrick, Bogle and Lowe.

Hendrick (older than most when he signed, so not really an academy product) were already first team players when Mel took charge, so no credit there.

Bogle came to us as a transfer past his 16th birthday, so again you couldn't say he was forged in Derby, more a successful recruitment. 

Only Hughes, who was already a first team regular when Mel took over, so nothing to do with the extra investment, and Lowe could claim to be Academy graduates in the truest sense. 

We are seeing Academy players step up now to the first team, but until they either improve us to promotion or are sold for vast amounts that enable us to spend our way to promotion, the juries out on whether the investment is worthwhile, imo.

It's around £4m quid over and above the running cost of a Cat 2 academy, would we still produce these players without the extra investment is a worthwhile question?

Trying to take the positives from the proposed take over.

new owner ,new prospective, presumably cash injected into first team and club as a whole.

Presumably new management, coaching team. Can't fall any further in the league this season?.

New owner can't be any less willing to invest than Mel at the moment.

can't we all try and be positive about this until proven otherwise. It's quite apparent No one knows a great deal about the new owner, his plans,financial affairs and where he will take us. but hats off to the guy at least he is interested in us. Let's get behind him show our support until we have reason not to.

35 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

No person owns the club or the stadium. Two separate Companies (and separate legal entities) own each. If, god forbid, the Company that owns the club goes into Administration, the Administrator would only have a club to sell, with a lease of the ground. This would probably reduce the number of investors who might have an interest in our club, as the second Company holds the biggest tangible asset.  

Mel is the sole owner of Gellaw Newco 202 the company which owns Pride Park

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why is that then?

I assume it's the extra coaching time, better qualified and therefore more expensive coaches, and access to better facilities that cost the extra money. 

Possibly extra contact time with the players leads to extra costs in regards to education etc?

I do know there's no set minimum spend, but it's unlikely you'll be granted Cat 1 status without spending more money.

7 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

So he owns the Stadium

2 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

No he owns the shares of Gellaw Newco 202.

And dcfc don’t own the stadium that was the point of the arrangement which gave us enough money to avoid p/s penalty or are you saying it was a sham

22 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I'm not so sure on the academy yet.

It's not like Moor Farm was sub standard before, he's only added a few bits to it, admittedly nice additions, which are beneficial the the whole club.

Getting Cat One status seemed like a personal mission of his, if it's worth the £6m a year running cost only time will tell.

We'll find out in 5 years time, seeing as the commonly held belief is academy investment takes 10 years to produce a return. 

We've sold four players upwards since Mel took charge, Hughes, Hendrick, Bogle and Lowe.

Hendrick (older than most when he signed, so not really an academy product) were already first team players when Mel took charge, so no credit there.

Bogle came to us as a transfer past his 16th birthday, so again you couldn't say he was forged in Derby, more a successful recruitment. 

Only Hughes, who was already a first team regular when Mel took over, so nothing to do with the extra investment, and Lowe could claim to be Academy graduates in the truest sense. 

We are seeing Academy players step up now to the first team, but until they either improve us to promotion or are sold for vast amounts that enable us to spend our way to promotion, the juries out on whether the investment is worthwhile, imo.

It's around £4m quid over and above the running cost of a Cat 2 academy, would we still produce these players without the extra investment is a worthwhile question?

I thought that Mel had sprung for £24 million on the Academy. May be wrong. Mel has not developed any players. The staff is doing that but we are attracting players from other academies now including two from WHUtd

Archived