Lee Buchanan

Comrade 86

2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

As a passing thought I do wonder how he will develop and where he will end up positionally. I do think we will see him nailing down his position in a back 4 in the near future.

But I'm curious as to whether longer term whether he will eventually shift back to centre back. Right now to my eye he still looks like he could physically mature more. Not saying that as a knock because he's more than competing right now but I think he has room to fill out a bit and get stronger. He may be on the short side but he's got such a big spring on him I'm not sure it matters to much and I think he's got all the other raw attributes of a modern ball playing centre back. 

If he keeps challenging for the ball in the air 40 times a game  like he is doing.  Probably like this when he's twenty one. 

image.png.3d4e36aacad643ab4099dc6a06f0aa54.png

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RamNut said:

Hopefully it’s not. I hate the idea of being a selling club.

get the finances right and hold onto the knights and the sibleys, Etc etc.

we’ll never build anything if every year we sell our best player to subsidise over spending on wages. 

Well unfortunately if they develop like we expect we probably can't hold onto them, they will quickly outstrip the development of the club and someone will come in with an offer we can't turn down. 

The trick is to only sell them when someone offers something to good to turn down and then use the money to take the club forward. It's essentially a club model that actually allows us to progress without massive outside investment and if we get it right should see us continually improve and eventually cement a place in the prem.

It's a problem if we are needing to sell to cover wages but not a problem if we can use it to improve the team in 3 positions.

10 minutes ago, Gisby said:

I 100% agree with this sentiment but I had my eyes opened somewhat earlier in this transfer window when I expressed the same opinion to a work colleague. Turns out one of his mates is friends with a guy who mixes with a few of the younger Forest players and his answer to this ‘opinion’ was that many young players view themselves as only one game away from a career ending injury and therefore see signing for any PL club regardless of who it is as making themselves financially secure. Being stuck in the reserves it appears is the price they are prepared to pay. Many young players see success in their ‘career’ as that one big pay day. In the cold light of day I can’t say I blame them but for those of us who aspired to be that pro footballer but were not quite good enough it sure takes the romance out of it. ?

I think it’s a poor move for bogle and Lowe. Especially Lowe.

they need games. Both were far from being the finished article. Lowe was getting better towards the end of the season but it was slow progress. I can’t see them playing a great deal of football for sheffield United. Bogle might mature into a very good player. Lowe? 50/50. He’ll probably end up at Forest. 

15 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Hopefully it’s not. I hate the idea of being a selling club.

get the finances right and hold onto the knights and the sibleys, Etc etc.

we’ll never build anything if every year we sell our best player to subsidise over spending on wages. 

I agree absolutely with the sentiment though we will always have to sell players unfortunately. I do wonder, however, whether the Covid and the fact that we have Festy and Lee coming through the ranks might not mean that this was an ad hoc deal rather than the announcement of a longer term strategy. I'd like to think so.

13 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I think it’s a poor move for bogle and Lowe. Especially Lowe.

they need games. Both were far from being the finished article. Lowe was getting better towards the end of the season but it was slow progress. I can’t see them playing a great deal of football for sheffield United. Bogle might mature into a very good player. Lowe? 50/50. He’ll probably end up at Forest. 

Again, I agree with this too. I don’t think either were ready for the PL and if things carry on as they have started for Sheff Utd they’ll be back down in the Championship next season. Where they go from there is anybody’s guess but at least they’ll have the money from the move (plus that from the subsequent contract) in the bank and no one can take that away from them. Perhaps, like some of the Forest lads I alluded to earlier, that’s all they were chasing??

9 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Well unfortunately if they develop like we expect we probably can't hold onto them, they will quickly outstrip the development of the club and someone will come in with an offer we can't turn down. 

The trick is to only sell them when someone offers something to good to turn down and then use the money to take the club forward. It's essentially a club model that actually allows us to progress without massive outside investment and if we get it right should see us continually improve and eventually cement a place in the prem.

It's a problem if we are needing to sell to cover wages but not a problem if we can use it to improve the team in 3 positions.

I disagree. we’ll never get promoted by accepting our fate as a feeder club for Sheffield United, Burnley, and whoever else wants to cherry pick our best players.

We need to seize the moment. We have some terrific young players coming through.
sibley, knight, Buchanan, Whittaker, (with Lowe and bogle would have been great), ebosele, Wilson, etc

villa have done brilliantly to hold onto Grealish. he has single-handedly propelled them to promotion and given them an identity. Sibley, and knight are every bit as good. 
sell them and promote lesser players and we come 3rd, 6th, 8th, at best. 
keep them - and we’ve got an outside chance.

if I have to watch Jason knight playing for everton. Sibley playing for Leeds. Will hughes playing for spurs or whoever, 
I think I’ll throw up.

I have been dubious about Lee Buchanan but think he's definitely making great strides forward (metaphorically and literally). Just like Fozzy, his ability in the air is also a massive bonus to have at left back or left wing back. The thing now that is hardest for young players is consistency. After some good performances recently, I really hope he can become a solid performer week in, week out. There seems no reason why he won't. Playing against Knockaert in the second half was a decent test.

Can't believe anyone is saying Lowe and/or Bogle shouldn't have leapt at the chance to move to the Premier league with Sheffield United. What an amazing opportunity to move to the top level and work with a manager who's done extraordinary things. Yes there's also the payday that none of us can believe, but if you're a winner in sport, you back yourself to make that shirt your own. Both will be expecting to be first-team regulars by the end of the season.

Just now, Steve How Hard? said:

Definitely got this in his locker. Scored a better on his debut if I recall correctly. Just a case of being more consistent with that threat. 

I think the answer is to keep going. Get in the box.
(The sort of thing that would have given max lowe a nose bleed because he didn’t want to work that hard). 
it was pleasing to see byrne turning up unexpectedly in the 6 yard box. 
all four across the middle need to score goals as there aren’t a lot of goals in the team. 

Couldn't agree more with the general sentiment on the thread. Am surprised some folk still believe we need to strengthen at LB - Buchanan is raw but his potential is very high indeed. Quick, good in the air, technically decent, strong & good going forward - he only needs to add concentration & consistent quality of delivery to that and Premiership clubs will be queuing up for him.

A bit like Bird & Sibley, I wonder if Buchanan's development has been mapped out by Cocu & his staff months in advance. Saw very little of him after Scunthorpe away last August (although injury was an issue) only for him to re-emerge towards the back end of last season, quite noticeably in place of a fully fit Lowe. Fair to say he was a mixed bag but those dead rubber games probably helped everyone realise what needed work. Lowe then gets sold in the summer & Forsyth brought back in to play LB in a 4 - we then revert to a 5 at the back & Buchanan is the first choice.

The next interesting period is how Buchanan adapts to being a LB in a flat back 4, rather than LWB. I do think that will be delayed until Bielik returns to the side to offer defensive cover so enabling Buchanan (and Byrne) to continue to push up high. Either way, it's clear that he's here to stay in the first XI & deservedly so.

9 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Couldn't agree more with the general sentiment on the thread. Am surprised some folk still believe we need to strengthen at LB - Buchanan is raw but his potential is very high indeed. Quick, good in the air, technically decent, strong & good going forward - he only needs to add concentration & consistent quality of delivery to that and Premiership clubs will be queuing up for him.

A bit like Bird & Sibley, I wonder if Buchanan's development has been mapped out by Cocu & his staff months in advance. Saw very little of him after Scunthorpe away last August (although injury was an issue) only for him to re-emerge towards the back end of last season, quite noticeably in place of a fully fit Lowe. Fair to say he was a mixed bag but those dead rubber games probably helped everyone realise what needed work. Lowe then gets sold in the summer & Forsyth brought back in to play LB in a 4 - we then revert to a 5 at the back & Buchanan is the first choice.

The next interesting period is how Buchanan adapts to being a LB in a flat back 4, rather than LWB. I do think that will be delayed until Bielik returns to the side to offer defensive cover so enabling Buchanan (and Byrne) to continue to push up high. Either way, it's clear that he's here to stay in the first XI & deservedly so.

Played well going forward but on wrong side of Yates first half when he should have scored from header. 

2 hours ago, Gisby said:

Again, I agree with this too. I don’t think either were ready for the PL and if things carry on as they have started for Sheff Utd they’ll be back down in the Championship next season. Where they go from there is anybody’s guess but at least they’ll have the money from the move (plus that from the subsequent contract) in the bank and no one can take that away from them. Perhaps, like some of the Forest lads I alluded to earlier, that’s all they were chasing??

Buy them when they are not ready and get them cheap. Develop them your own way to for your team. Sell them for big money. Bogle and Lowe presumably on good money on long contracts 

51 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Buy them when they are not ready and get them cheap. Develop them your own way to for your team. Sell them for big money. Bogle and Lowe presumably on good money on long contracts 

Yep ‘presumably on good money on long contracts’ that’s why they will have signed .... chasing the dollar as I said earlier. ‘Sell for big money’ only if they can cut it in the PL and if so ‘good on them’ hopefully we’ve got a sell on clause so win win all round. If they don’t cut it then we were right to sell them and take the money from the PL club ??

Archived