Lee Buchanan

Comrade 86

Startling progress being made by this young lad. Still a bit raw obviously, but a more than able replacement for Max Lowe IMO. Improving rapidly defensively and a potent threat going forward too. Has some serious wheels on him and clearly has springs in his legs too, as Curtis aside, he's probably the best defensive / offensive header of a ball in the entire squad.

Another doff of the cap, therefore, to Mr Wassall and his team and another honourable mention for Cocu for spotting and developing Lee's potential. At only 19 years of age and with bags of scope for improvement, I think we've probably unearthed another diamond here. My hunch is that he may well prove to be a better prospect than either of those we let go.

COYR

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looked well off the pace in a couple of games, but seems to be maturing fast - as you say, could be a future star.

Happy to give him a long run of games, hopefully we'll reap the benefits in the long run and not be forced to sell him - and watch as he wastes his talent in a PL reserve team.

15 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Startling progress being made by this young lad. Still a bit raw obviously, but a more than able replacement for Max Lowe IMO. Improving rapidly defensively and a potent threat going forward too. Has some serious wheels on him and clearly has springs in his legs too, as Curtis aside, he's probably the best defensive / offensive header of a ball in the entire squad.

Another doff of the cap, therefore, to Mr Wassall and his team and another honourable mention for Cocu for spotting and developing Lee's potential. At only 19 years of age and with bags of scope for improvement, I think we've probably unearthed another diamond here. My hunch is that he may well prove to be a better prospect than either of those we let go.

COYR

Agreed. Certainly a better prospect than Lowe, much better offensively and quicker.....

11 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

My hunch is that he may well prove to be a better prospect than either of those we let go.

I agree. 
having been a central defender, he covers much better than Lowe who was repeatedly caught out and smashed into the back of the net. He is also more positive and determined.Nevertheless I would still have liked to have kept Lowe as competition rather than Fozzy. 
if Buchanan could add a bit of goal threat that would be perfect. 

8 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Looked well off the pace in a couple of games, but seems to be maturing fast - as you say, could be a future star.

Happy to give him a long run of games, hopefully we'll reap the benefits in the long run and not be forced to sell him - and watch as he wastes his talent in a PL reserve team.

I'm not really one to follow players after they leave the club but have had a sneaky peek or two to check on Jayden and Max. Perhaps I'm viewing this with my Derby goggs on but this is why I really wish that some kids would just hold fire for that extra season and not jump at the first opportunity. I'm not suggesting that that's the case with our two lads by the way, just making a general observation. I think early elevation to the Premiership is as often a barrier to progress and development as it is a gateway.

I think he is improving. Looked well short at the end of last season and beginning of this but the shift to five at the back has definitely helped him and, I believe, allows us to cover for some existing defensive frailties that still exist. He is good on the ball and, in time, will be a better player than Lowe in my opinion. 

I would fear putting him in a back four however at the moment. He also struggled with Knockeart but so have most left backs in this division so perhaps not a fair barometer. You can see him improving though which is pleasing. Long may it continue. 

9 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Very good in the air. Wins lots of aerial fuels which is a tad surprising given his quite small frame but a great prospect without doubt. We have replaced both full-backs seemlessly and banked £15m in the process. 

Had a hunch that Byrne would be a good fit as he's always looked a really tidy player. If the stories of a £200k fee are true then he's the best value signing in yonks. Buchanan has always looked a talent and immediately showed signs of promise, but he's progressing at a rate I'd not seen coming. With hindsight, you have to wonder whether Cocu and the coaches already had his cards marked here as it seemed risky to let both FBs leave.

Again, perhaps with bias, I think we're in a better place now on both sides of the pitch with the added benefit that the financial damage to date as a result of Covid has been pretty much fully mitigated. Shrewd business, I reckon!

8 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I agree. 
having been a central defender, he covers much better than Lowe who was repeatedly caught out and smashed into the back of the net. He is also more positive and determined.Nevertheless I would still have liked to have kept Lowe as competition rather than Fozzy. 
if Buchanan could add a bit of goal threat that would be perfect. 

Can't argue with any of that. Interesting point too about his conversion from the middle. Had forgotten that he played their to be honest. I do wonder though whether perhaps when the offers came in, the lads themselves were keen to move on. Perhaps more Jayden than Max and your observation that we need cover is spot on. I love Fozzy to bits, but I do worry that year after year of arduous physical rehab may now be taking their toll. Breaks my heart to see some of the not so pleasant criticisms of him in light of what he's given to the club but as they say, time waits for no man*

*or something like that

10 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

I think he is improving. Looked well short at the end of last season and beginning of this but the shift to five at the back has definitely helped him and, I believe, allows us to cover for some existing defensive frailties that still exist. He is good on the ball and, in time, will be a better player than Lowe in my opinion. 

I would fear putting him in a back four however at the moment. He also struggled with Knockeart but so have most left backs in this division so perhaps not a fair barometer. You can see him improving though which is pleasing. Long may it continue. 

Spot on. I've been wondering myself how much of the improvement is down to the change in formation. There's no doubt that playing in a four creates added pressure and demands. That said, the eye doesn't lie and while he will clearly benefit from experience, it seems clear there's a real player there.

I'm also not averse to a 3 with wing backs if the formation's attacking potential is exploited too, as opposed to just using it to have extra bodies in defence. Byrne and Buchanan seem to suit the role ideally and critically have the wheels and energy to be effective in both their defensive and attacking duties. I don't think either Jayden or Max had the raw pace needed tbh.

45 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Very good in the air. Wins lots of aerial fuels which is a tad surprising given his quite small frame but a great prospect without doubt. We have replaced both full-backs seemlessly and banked £15m in the process. 

Hopefully it's the first iteration we see of using the academy in order to sustainably grow the team. I.e. sell player for a big fee -> Have next academy player step up/replace for cheaper.

32 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Had a hunch that Byrne would be a good fit as he's always looked a really tidy player. If the stories of a £200k fee are true then he's the best value signing in yonks. Buchanan has always looked a talent and immediately showed signs of promise, but he's progressing at a rate I'd not seen coming. With hindsight, you have to wonder whether Cocu and the coaches already had his cards marked here as it seemed risky to let both FBs leave.

Again, perhaps with bias, I think we're in a better place now on both sides of the pitch with the added benefit that the financial damage to date as a result of Covid has been pretty much fully mitigated. Shrewd business, I reckon!

I think that's definitely the case. Think back to game time he was getting over Lowe at the end of last season and how he looked favoured in preseason.

Been an outstanding breakthrough season for him so far. Don’t think he was quite ready last season, but this year is a totally different story. 

Must admit I was quite concerned when we let Lowe go without replacement - it left us with a declining Forsyth as our only senior LB option, who is no longer good enough to be first choice imo. But luckily for us, Buchanan has stepped up to the mantle superbly - which I think was always Cocu’s plan. He’s an absolutely outstanding talent, with huge potential. His defensive attributes are fantastic - he’s an utter beast in the air, and he’s always willing to put his body on the line to stop the opponent creating chances. I didn’t think there was any chance we’d replace Lowe, arguably the best LB we’ve had in my time watching, with anyone as good as him - but I think we’ve managed it with Buchanan. Credit to the academy for producing yet another top quality player for the first team.

Obviously I’m still sad to see both Lowe and Bogle gone, and I’d have preferred to keep both. But in a world where that clearly wasn’t possible, having Buchanan and Forsyth as options is pretty good going imo.

As a passing thought I do wonder how he will develop and where he will end up positionally. I do think we will see him nailing down his position in a back 4 in the near future.

But I'm curious as to whether longer term whether he will eventually shift back to centre back. Right now to my eye he still looks like he could physically mature more. Not saying that as a knock because he's more than competing right now but I think he has room to fill out a bit and get stronger. He may be on the short side but he's got such a big spring on him I'm not sure it matters to much and I think he's got all the other raw attributes of a modern ball playing centre back. 

17 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Hopefully it's the first iteration we see of using the academy in order to sustainably grow the team. I.e. sell player for a big fee -> Have next academy player step up/replace for cheaper.

Hopefully it’s not. I hate the idea of being a selling club.

get the finances right and hold onto the knights and the sibleys, Etc etc.

we’ll never build anything if every year we sell our best player to subsidise over spending on wages. 

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I'm not really one to follow players after they leave the club but have had a sneaky peek or two to check on Jayden and Max. Perhaps I'm viewing this with my Derby goggs on but this is why I really wish that some kids would just hold fire for that extra season and not jump at the first opportunity. I'm not suggesting that that's the case with our two lads by the way, just making a general observation. I think early elevation to the Premiership is as often a barrier to progress and development as it is a gateway.

I 100% agree with this sentiment but I had my eyes opened somewhat earlier in this transfer window when I expressed the same opinion to a work colleague. Turns out one of his mates is friends with a guy who mixes with a few of the younger Forest players and his answer to this ‘opinion’ was that many young players view themselves as only one game away from a career ending injury and therefore see signing for any PL club regardless of who it is as making themselves financially secure. Being stuck in the reserves it appears is the price they are prepared to pay. Many young players see success in their ‘career’ as that one big pay day. In the cold light of day I can’t say I blame them but for those of us who aspired to be that pro footballer but were not quite good enough it sure takes the romance out of it. ?

Archived