Richie Barker

Arsene Titman

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Arsene Titman said:

I’ve just seen that Richie Barker has passed away , aged 80. Sad to see him go, not many fans are old enough to remember him playing during the Brian Clough era. Not the quickest or most graceful mover but he knew where the net was

Very Sad, played in the first match at the baseball ground I saw live and member of the boys of 69. 

RIP Richie 

Before I was a Rams fan and being brought up in the Burton area Richie Barker was a local legend.

Between 1960-67 he played 270 games for Burton Albion scoring 159 goals.

He then scored 12 goals in 38 games for Cloughie's Derby just before I started supporting them.

I must have seen him play for Burton in a testimonial when Stanley Matthews came with Port Vale to Eton Park..

He loomed large in Burton Albion's history.

My condolences to his family.

RIP Richie.

I remember his home debut - he was one of Cloughie's first signings, along with Arthur Stewart. We called him 'Camel' because of his lolloping stride.

A whole-hearted player, who eventually lost his place in the side / on the bench to Frank Wignall as we became more competitive in Clough's second season in charge.

6 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Did he end up doing any academy scouting by any chance? I got approached by an old Derby scout who I’m pretty sure was called Richie when I was younger (no dodgy jokes please!).

It wasn't by the entrance to Markeato... Oh... Just seen the bit in brackets... sorry!  

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Did he end up doing any academy scouting by any chance? I got approached by an old Derby scout who I’m pretty sure was called Richie when I was younger (no dodgy jokes please!).

Not sure about that, could it have been Rich Williams?

He went into coaching and management.  Assistant to Durban at Shrewsbury and held other asst and manager jobs including Stoke.

I liked Ritchie, genuine lad who appreciated his promotion to the 'big time' from non-league. A few more with his attitude wouldn't do us any harm!

RIP Ritchie.  Have a pint with old big head. 

I'm so sorry... I clearly forgot where I was, when posting yesterday, and left my manners behind, to my shame!

My heartfelt apologies, and condolences to the family, and thank you for your services to this fine football club of ours.

May you rest in eternal peace, Sir.  

18 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I'm so sorry... I clearly forgot where I was, when posting yesterday, and left my manners behind, to my shame!

My heartfelt apologies, and condolences to the family, and thank you for your services to this fine football club of ours.

May you rest in eternal peace, Sir.  

I'm sure Richie would've seen the joke.....and accepted your apologies with a good grace.

Archived