Antisocial neighbours - anyone else suffered?

Mostyn6

I’m currently having a nightmare with a schizophrenic neighbour. The poor woman has basically been neglected and spends an hour banging on the walls and screaming three or four times a day. 

I’m basically now required to record her and send a recording off via an app. Sadly though, after about 100 submissions, she’s not received any help and myself and other neighbours have received no peace. 

I live in a flat, she lives above my next door neighbour. We have adjoining walls to the kitchen and bathroom. 

I did have a little recording, which would amaze some of you that such a noise could be created, but cannot attach the file due to site settings! 

Anyone experienced any similar? 

I've had to deal with antisocial neighbours but they didn't have a medical excuse, they were a bunch of absolute Bamfords that had all night house parties, deunken fights in the street, about 7 cars parked all over at all times. Just disgusting people. 

The council tried to help but the guys basically ignored any restrictions put on them. Not proud to say I threatened to give at least two of them a kicking at various points before they finally got turfed out of their house for not paying their rent. 

I have a rental property in Matlock and the downstairs neighbours are the vilest things I've ever known. He's like a cross between a dead gecko and Jimmy Saville, his hands are all gnarled and he has this broad Nottingham drawl. His wife is 3 feet tall, never speaks, just skulks behind his legs hissing. To be fair to her she does look like she's had a very hard life.

Every tenant I've ever had has left because of these creatures. I've had tenants call the police on several occasions but he's an ex copper himself so I think he knows what he can and can't get away with.

I had to tell the estate agent not to offer the flat to single women, people with children or anyone who seems in any way vulnerable because he'll just relentlessly bully them until they leave.

The saving grace is that my brother's marriage has broken down so he's in there for the foreseeable. Loves a good scrap he does.

3 minutes ago, TimRam said:

A mates quote:- "You tell him to either turn the music off or I will turn it off for him!". Unfortunately sometimes that's the only thing that works.

This is a 60-80 year old jamaican lady who looks like she wouldn’t say “boo” to a goose. Sadly she has severe mental issues and spends time telling herself to leave herself alone, but by screaming and banging. 

I had something similar, 20 odd years ago. 

Kept getting cryptic notes pushed through the door every Wednesday, started off rambling nonsense, but gradually got more threatening. 

One day I happened to be home, heard the letterbox go and looked to see what it was, another note. Went outside to see what if anyone was around, but the street was deserted, it was snowing though so I could follow the footsteps which seemed to go next door, I'd never even seen who, if anyone, lived there.

Called the police, and a few days later they sent someone round. We showed him the notes we'd been sent and I told them I thought it may be next door. The coppers had a look, and said although the notes were disturbing there probably wasn't anything criminal about them. We agreed tbh, and they left us a card to contact them if it carried on. 

We woke up the next morning to another note 'Way too much paranoia, now you'll die'. Whoever was sending the notes was obviously close enough to be watching, which was a terrifying thought in your own home. 

Called the cops, who said it still probably didn't meet the threshold for intervention, and recommended I stay at home on a Wednesday and try to catch the person in the act.

We hatched a plan, my Brother in Law came over Tuesday night and stayed over, then Wednesday morning I'd make out I was taking the missus to work as normal, but park around the corner and sneak back into the flat via the back window.

The missus went to bed Tuesday night as normal, and between the two of us we did a large bottle of Bombay, for Dutch courage I suppose.

Everything went as planned Weds morning, apart from the massive hangover! 

I was sat waiting when the letterbox went, flung the door open and collared the bugger. It was the bloke next door.

His house alarm then triggered, and he begged me to let him switch it off, but I wanted the neighbours looking out on the commotion, and calling the police, even though my Bro was already on it.

We lived in maisonettes, us downstairs and him next door upstairs, so I pushed him back down the gap between the buildings and asked him WTF he was playing at?

I told him he'd put me and the missus through 6 months of misery, and the little swine smirked, so I smacked him one in the temple, not a proud moment.

He asked if he could get his cigarettes out of his inside jacket pocket, I didn't see no harm in that so let him. About 30 minutes later the police turned up, he immediately moaned I'd twatted him, which I denied despite the egg like lump on his head, and I explained my side of the story. Then the officers we'd spoke to previously turned up and took control of the situation, calmed him down and sat him in the back of the car, then went to turn his alarm off.

A few minutes later, the PC came to talk to me. While turning off the alarm, he'd taken a gander round the flat. The fella next door had pushed all his wardrobes against the windows, to keep the devil out, and had a wall decorated with pictures of me and the missus identifying us as evil with our eyes gouged out etc! We'd never even clapped eyes on him.

The PC explained that unless he agreed to be sectioned, he'd probably be home that night and we should stay alert, which frankly terrified us.

An hour later, we received a call from the same officer, who told us that when he was searched at the station they'd pulled out 6 butchers knifes from the same jacket pocket his cigarettes where in! On the plus side, this meant he would be unlikely released that evening, but he couldn't guarantee anything long term, and we should stay vigilant.

We didn't hear anything more from the police after that point, no statement taken or anything, so spent the next few days in fear of seeing a light on or movement next door. 

It was pure luck the missus mentioned it to a colleague at her work, who's husband was a high up in the force. Within a few hours, we'd found out he'd been sectioned for 28 days in a secure facility. Then a week later he took a bath with a plugged in iron, to bring the tale to a wretched conclusion.

Care in the community they called it, but he'd not received care for far too long.

For months later, I'd see him everywhere I looked, the same shock on his face that I'd hurt him, and feel the same disgust that I did all over again. 

A few months later we bumped into his parents clearing out the flat, a nodded head acknowledgement with no words, but I can still now see the fire in his mother's eyes as we crossed paths.

2 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Sorry mate, long tail with no ending. 

First time I've put it down in words, and no idea why I did.

It’s really bizarre. 

I fear things like this woman hurting herself. I don’t know what she’s using to make such a bang. 

16 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I’m currently having a nightmare with a schizophrenic neighbour. The poor woman has basically been neglected and spends an hour banging on the walls and screaming three or four times a day. 

I’m basically now required to record her and send a recording off via an app. Sadly though, after about 100 submissions, she’s not received any help and myself and other neighbours have received no peace. 

I live in a flat, she lives above my next door neighbour. We have adjoining walls to the kitchen and bathroom. 

I did have a little recording, which would amaze some of you that such a noise could be created, but cannot attach the file due to site settings! 

Anyone experienced any similar? 

That shouldn't be the only reason you don't attach it to a public forum. 

4 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

It’s really bizarre. 

I fear things like this woman hurting herself. I don’t know what she’s using to make such a bang. 

Grim isn't it, no-one (in Social Services) cares it seems. Try the local media, make a wild story up?

Just now, sage said:

That shouldn't be the only reason you don't attach it to a public forum. 

Not sure what kind of clip you think it is! But for clarity, its just a sound of banging and screaming that is astounding considering she’s not directly above/below/next door to me. There’s no data protection breach if that’s your concern, and there’s no way of identifying her or her location. It’s also not recorded for sensationalism. 

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

Not sure what kind of clip you think it is! But for clarity, its just a sound of banging and screaming that is astounding considering she’s not directly above/below/next door to me. There’s no data protection breach if that’s your concern, and there’s no way of identifying her or her location. It’s also not recorded for sensationalism. 

I appreciate the situation is causing you distress, but sharing a mentally ill person's torment on a public forum isn't appropriate.

We are have made great strides on this forum in supporting each other with our difficulties and I would hope that translates into how we treat everyone.  

37 minutes ago, sage said:

I appreciate the situation is causing you distress, but sharing a mentally ill person's torment on a public forum isn't appropriate.

We are have made great strides on this forum in supporting each other with our difficulties and I would hope that translates into how we treat everyone.  

I don’t say this lightly, but get off your high horse mate. I started the mental health thread in one of my suicidal moments, so I don’t need you to tell me what I don’t need telling. 

Theres a world of difference in helping people through their issues and NOT discussing an anonymous neighbour who both confuses and scares me. 

Im as supportive as anyone and have probably gone above and beyond what could be reasonably expected from a “distressed neighbour”. Including emergency services, social services, housing association, three local charities, and knocking on her door to ask what help she needs. 

For ten years, this neighbour has been on meds, then taken off them, had issues, put back on meds, then taken off.... and repeat. Until February. 

I sincerely hope you’re not implying that my discussing this issue on this trusted forum is akin to me mocking, taking pleasure or finding amusement in her situation. 

I doubt you are, I think I know your character better, so I apologise if I’ve misinterpreted your post. I’ve only had two hours sleep. 

Edited by Mostyn6

1 hour ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I had something similar, 20 odd years ago. 

Kept getting cryptic notes pushed through the door every Wednesday, started off rambling nonsense, but gradually got more threatening. 

One day I happened to be home, heard the letterbox go and looked to see what it was, another note. Went outside to see what if anyone was around, but the street was deserted, it was snowing though so I could follow the footsteps which seemed to go next door, I'd never even seen who, if anyone, lived there.

Called the police, and a few days later they sent someone round. We showed him the notes we'd been sent and I told them I thought it may be next door. The coppers had a look, and said although the notes were disturbing there probably wasn't anything criminal about them. We agreed tbh, and they left us a card to contact them if it carried on. 

We woke up the next morning to another note 'Way too much paranoia, now you'll die'. Whoever was sending the notes was obviously close enough to be watching, which was a terrifying thought in your own home. 

Called the cops, who said it still probably didn't meet the threshold for intervention, and recommended I stay at home on a Wednesday and try to catch the person in the act.

We hatched a plan, my Brother in Law came over Tuesday night and stayed over, then Wednesday morning I'd make out I was taking the missus to work as normal, but park around the corner and sneak back into the flat via the back window.

The missus went to bed Tuesday night as normal, and between the two of us we did a large bottle of Bombay, for Dutch courage I suppose.

Everything went as planned Weds morning, apart from the massive hangover! 

I was sat waiting when the letterbox went, flung the door open and collared the bugger. It was the bloke next door.

His house alarm then triggered, and he begged me to let him switch it off, but I wanted the neighbours looking out on the commotion, and calling the police, even though my Bro was already on it.

We lived in maisonettes, us downstairs and him next door upstairs, so I pushed him back down the gap between the buildings and asked him WTF he was playing at?

I told him he'd put me and the missus through 6 months of misery, and the little swine smirked, so I smacked him one in the temple, not a proud moment.

He asked if he could get his cigarettes out of his inside jacket pocket, I didn't see no harm in that so let him. About 30 minutes later the police turned up, he immediately moaned I'd twatted him, which I denied despite the egg like lump on his head, and I explained my side of the story. Then the officers we'd spoke to previously turned up and took control of the situation, calmed him down and sat him in the back of the car, then went to turn his alarm off.

A few minutes later, the PC came to talk to me. While turning off the alarm, he'd taken a gander round the flat. The fella next door had pushed all his wardrobes against the windows, to keep the devil out, and had a wall decorated with pictures of me and the missus identifying us as evil with our eyes gouged out etc! We'd never even clapped eyes on him.

The PC explained that unless he agreed to be sectioned, he'd probably be home that night and we should stay alert, which frankly terrified us.

An hour later, we received a call from the same officer, who told us that when he was searched at the station they'd pulled out 6 butchers knifes from the same jacket pocket his cigarettes where in! On the plus side, this meant he would be unlikely released that evening, but he couldn't guarantee anything long term, and we should stay vigilant.

We didn't hear anything more from the police after that point, no statement taken or anything, so spent the next few days in fear of seeing a light on or movement next door. 

It was pure luck the missus mentioned it to a colleague at her work, who's husband was a high up in the force. Within a few hours, we'd found out he'd been sectioned for 28 days in a secure facility. Then a week later he took a bath with a plugged in iron, to bring the tale to a wretched conclusion.

Care in the community they called it, but he'd not received care for far too long.

For months later, I'd see him everywhere I looked, the same shock on his face that I'd hurt him, and feel the same disgust that I did all over again. 

A few months later we bumped into his parents clearing out the flat, a nodded head acknowledgement with no words, but I can still now see the fire in his mother's eyes as we crossed paths.

What's the punchline?