Macclesfield Town wound up

alexxxxx

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, sage said:

i'm not sure it's entirely the EFL's fault. 

Yeah true the owner has been consistently terrible for the past few years.. Just felt like the EFL were doing as much as they could to kick them out the league which was really the final blow. 

10 minutes ago, Longeatonram2020 said:

Still think things like this are awful in football when a week of Messis wage would clear that debt. Just for a sense of scale. 

Or Aubameyang's reported weekly wages to bring it closer to home.

Neither the owners nor the EFL are blameless - the owners allegedly have the money but have failed to pay off their debts until the courts lost patience; the EFL not only because they can't work out ways of properly approving and managing owners but also because their disciplinary processes are largely one dimensional - on the pitch, Stevenage would/should have been relegated.

The net result is that a neat, small ground and a community club, with a real long term history is potentially lost and fans have no one to support, or go elsewhere.

At the rate we appear to be going the post covid football world outside the PL is going to be very different (and not better) and the EFL are asleep on duty

Not sure how the EFL can be blamed for this. I suppose you could argue there fit and proper persons test has failed yet again, but i wouldnt think that there would be a long queue waiting to buy a lower league 2 side in any case. 

Personally i'd allow the club name and history to carry on as before, but relegate them to the lower tiers and seize any assets required to pay the debts

30 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Not sure how the EFL can be blamed for this. I suppose you could argue there fit and proper persons test has failed yet again, but i wouldnt think that there would be a long queue waiting to buy a lower league 2 side in any case. 

Personally i'd allow the club name and history to carry on as before, but relegate them to the lower tiers and seize any assets required to pay the debts

the EFL appealed against a points penalty, were successful and that resulted in them being relegated.  i did think that was the correct decision but others strongly disagree

3 hours ago, Spanish said:

the EFL appealed against a points penalty, were successful and that resulted in them being relegated.  i did think that was the correct decision but others strongly disagree

If they aren't paying staff or players then i can't say a points deduction is totally unwarranted. It doesn't help anyone or prevent clubs doing the same thing, but its standard operating procedure for the competition they find themselves in. Its a shame that this keeps happening and i know there is more of an emotional attachment to football clubs, but businesses fail all the time in the real world - clubs should be treated no differently.

4 hours ago, Spanish said:

personally I think the independent panels judgement should apply 

I don't see why the EFL can appeal , win, then the club cant appeal that 

it stinks 

why have an independent panel at all

On 16/09/2020 at 18:22, StaffsRam said:

With the appeals process thrown in it's almost a "best of three". They'd be as well settling these things by rock-paper-scissors...

Personally I think trial by combat should be considered. Naturally, it would have to be longsword or pistols to be covid safe, but the chances of a just resolution in the eyes of God and man will be far higher.

Although, of course, the EFL are considering the alternative "trial by water" and "trial by fire" as being equally acceptable. 

Obviously not all blame can be apportioned to the EFL in this case, but if they chased a fair slice of the Sky dollar with the zealousness they pursue their member clubs over FFP, many would be in a far better financial state. Their ineptitude and snivelling subservience to the Premier League has left dozens of clubs on the brink and now we have Covid to drive home the coffin nails. Morally, commercially and operations-wise, the EFL is an utter poo-show whose demise can't come soon enough.

Archived