Matt Clarke up front

1961ram

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Boycie said:

Good with the ball at his feet, tall, good heading?

welcome back Chrissy!

You forgot no pace but Chrissy wasn't tall. I didn't day let's do it but it would be interesting. People used to say Macfarland was a great centre forward wasted at centre half but not me. 

20 minutes ago, irobinson said:

Anyone remember Rams playing Kenny Burns up front as an emergency CF........cripes

Great recall.

Burns started as a forward before his move to Forest didn't he? Not sure whether I am right but I have some niggling memory of him scoring all 5 goals for Birmingham in a 5-1 defeat which was in 1976.

2 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

Wisdom as the 10, Clarke as the 9. I love it. 3 at the back. Curtis in to play next to Bird in midfield. It’s the future ??

I once stood at Arsenal when we were losing and Cloughie stuck Roy Mac and Dave Mackay up front to no avail, fun to watch though.

8 minutes ago, metalsheep02 said:

Great recall.

Burns started as a forward before his move to Forest didn't he? Not sure whether I am right but I have some niggling memory of him scoring all 5 goals for Birmingham in a 5-1 defeat which was in 1976.

He did put himself about.....

I remember Sheffield Wednesday turning their central defender Paul Warhurst into a makeshift striker and he was fabulous. Even talk of an England call-up. Matty Clarke I'm not so sure, but it's true that players can shift positions. As I've said elsewhere, Evans is a far better centre half than midfielder and Bielik is a far better midfielder than centre half.

McFarland could have played anywhere he was that good. Having a goal threat from centre backs is very important as they take away good defenders at corners and the like which also makes it easier for our strikers. Let's hope Matty starts banging them in soon.

27 minutes ago, metalsheep02 said:

Great recall.

According to Wikipedia, he scored 4 and Connolly got the other. Burns also appears to have scored a hat trick at Leicester. Surely Wikipedia must be correct.

58 minutes ago, metalsheep02 said:

Great recall.

Correct. He was a former centre-forward and did indeed score 4 against us. 

Archived