Finances

Gritty

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

Sky reporting £15m for Bogle and Lowe. It is a sort of BOGOF deal but we are obviously strapped for cash. Part of good recruitment should always be looking beyond simply the player but at those clubs that are in financial difficulty where extra value is to be found. Just as we should do that with others, the Blunts are doing it to us.

In our current position selling academy products for decent fees is the business model and necessary. It's a shame but we have to hope it frees the path for others to break through. Fozzy is a good let back at our level. I don't (yet) share Cocu's faith in Buchanan but time will tell. I'm dubious about Wisdom there but time will tell. And maybe Ebosele and Brown will seize their moment. We retain options and might spend some of the money wisely for once.

As we have, with Marshall from Wigan.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

This... but we can thank our owners since Lionel for the mess. Hopefully Mel will turn it round. 

There’s only one owner responsible for the shambles of a club we’ve become in the last 5 years and it ain’t Lionel Pickering.

Its interesting that there seems to be a 100% positive view of Pickerings time in charge of Derby.

Yes of course we got PP and played our only 'decent' spell in the PL. But even back in the PL despite the first good 3 seasons the second 3 were at times awful and we seemed to be always in a relegation battle.

You cannot argue with Pickerings passion and desire to put Derby at the top, but we were certainly guilty of chasing the PL dream in those last 3 seasons, especially the last with some absolutely shocking signings and decisions.

As this is a Finances thread for me i dont see how there can be any argument the end of Pickerings reign left us in an absolute dire position, you dont put the club into liquidation and panic sell for £3 to people who cleary had no plan to take Derby forward unless the club was totally on its arse, we are not even close to that today.

So while todays issues, if we have them, is not Lionels fault by any stretch, hes certainly responsible for leaving the club as he did and bringing in the 3 amigos.

Today is a different landscape totally, we arent being held back due to lack of funds available, its the shackles the EFL have imposed on us and other clubs with FFP/P&S. Lets face it if FFP/P&S had existed in Lionels day we would probably have been facing all sorts of sanctions after Arthur failed to spend Lionels money wisely and built an expensive flop of a team.

I dont intend to speak Ill, we had some great times and i will always look back on the promotion season and first 3 seasons in the PL with great fondness...

5 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Its interesting that there seems to be a 100% positive view of Pickerings time in charge of Derby.

Yes of course we got PP and played our only 'decent' spell in the PL. But even back in the PL despite the first good 3 seasons the second 3 were at times awful and we seemed to be always in a relegation battle.

You cannot argue with Pickerings passion and desire to put Derby at the top, but we were certainly guilty of chasing the PL dream in those last 3 seasons, especially the last with some absolutely shocking signings and decisions.

As this is a Finances thread for me i dont see how there can be any argument the end of Pickerings reign left us in an absolute dire position, you dont put the club into liquidation and panic sell for £3 to people who cleary had no plan to take Derby forward unless the club was totally on its arse, we are not even close to that today.

So while todays issues, if we have them, is not Lionels fault by any stretch, hes certainly responsible for leaving the club as he did and bringing in the 3 amigos.

Today is a different landscape totally, we arent being held back due to lack of funds available, its the shackles the EFL have imposed on us and other clubs with FFP/P&S. Lets face it if FFP/P&S had existed in Lionels day we would probably have been facing all sorts of sanctions after Arthur failed to spend Lionels money wisely and built an expensive flop of a team.

I dont intend to speak Ill, we had some great times and i will always look back on the promotion season and first 3 seasons in the PL with great fondness...

was Lionel as far-sighted as Mel has been in investing in the academy? Wasn't moor farm built during his tenure?

21 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

was Lionel as far-sighted as Mel has been in investing in the academy? Wasn't moor farm built during his tenure?

Im not denying there was some great things done during that time. Im not trying to portray that in anyway it was a complete terrible period. I just feel personally despite whats happened we are in a better position today than we were at the end of Lionels reign.

I feel personally Lionel over extended himself. He took ownership at a time £10 million could buy you a team of superstars, and ended it when £10 million might buy you 2 or 3 duffers. Maybe he should have gone before he did.

There must have been some ill feeling from the fan base as fairly sure he was quite vocal in responding to criticism from fans who were unhappy.

18 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Im not denying there was some great things done during that time. Im not trying to portray that in anyway it was a complete terrible period. I just feel personally despite whats happened we are in a better position today than we were at the end of Lionels reign.

I feel personally Lionel over extended himself. He took ownership at a time £10 million could buy you a team of superstars, and ended it when £10 million might buy you 2 or 3 duffers. Maybe he should have gone before he did.

There must have been some ill feeling from the fan base as fairly sure he was quite vocal in responding to criticism from fans who were unhappy.

Wasn't there some salacious tittle-tattle when TBE produced his sister to "comfort" Lionel in his hour of recent bereavement?

Seem to recall summat....

1 minute ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Wasn't there some salacious tittle-tattle when TBE produced his sister to "comfort" Lionel in his hour of recent bereavement?

Seem to recall summat....

TBE?

13 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Pickering was a great chairman but him and Smith were a pairing and I think things got away from him in the twelve months following Smith being offered and turning down the director of football role.  When we got relegated and he turned down 4.5 million offers for poom and 6 million offers for Christie it seemed a bit odd as we had a growing debt.  Even more strange when board members resigned and we sold those players for less than half that a few months later until it became known he had dementia and we had accrued 30 million in debts with no one apparently being aware of the problem.  The almost winding up of the club and sale for a pound was more the responsibility of professionals the club hired to do a job and clearly didn't than a fella who did a wonderful job and wasn't supported correctly when he was sick.

1 minute ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

The Bald Eagle aka Jim Smith. 

doh of course 

I don't know to be honest,  I must admit I don't recall him suffering from dementia as @Gee SCREAMER !!has said and that makes me feel bad.

I guess it demonstrates the running of a club isn't totally down to the owner. 

3 hours ago, Paul71 said:

I'm not entirely sure it's the regulation's that stop Mel investing year on year.

Maybe he's just chucked enough cash down the drain, and wants to wean us off the teat, so to speak.

I've no problem with that.

13 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I'm not entirely sure it's the regulation's that stop Mel investing year on year.

Maybe he's just chucked enough cash down the drain, and wants to wean us off the teat, so to speak.

I've no problem with that.

Yes absolutely agree with that. I guess at some point, like any bad investment, the penny drops and you realise that the money you chucked is gone...... never to be seen in your piggy bank again. 

1 hour ago, falconram said:

Great chairman backed his manager and people around him, and If my memory is right we got 10m investment from a London company and the former Coventry City chairman became his right hand man after others had left

That was probably Lionel’s biggest (only?) mistake. ie Taking on that arrogant prat Richardson who’s ego had already almost destroyed Coventry 

Archived