Finances

Gritty

1 hour ago, Gritty said:

a) Sell a couple of the youngsters for serious cash

I'm fearful that we will therefore have to sell Bogle and maybe Bird this season.

I think that’s pretty much the business plan. The idea of keeping hold of all our academy players who break through, with the potential to be top players is pretty fanciful. Especially when we are in the championship, but even if we got promoted, if they show potential for the top level they will be gone if the likes of City, Liverpool or the big foreign clubs come calling.

I think Bogle goes this summer, and hopefully that’s enough.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

There was a report this week that the EFL think they have a majority willing to vote for an 18m salary cap. 

What they can't get the clubs to agree on though is whether the cap should be instead of P&S or as well as P&S. 

(in League 1 and 2 they chose to replace P&S with the salary cap.) 

Think I saw something saying there’s going to be discussions over a salary cap in Autumn with a view to putting one in place next season. Personally, I hate the idea of that as well. It’s just more and more restrictions. I’d rather have neither P&S or a salary cap, just go back to how things used to be where clubs could spend what their owners could afford to. The key for me is making sure the owners aren’t dodgy and leave a club in trouble when they sell up. As a poster above alluded to, the most important thing is improving the fit and proper test.

6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Think I saw something saying there’s going to be discussions over a salary cap in Autumn with a view to putting one in place next season. Personally, I hate the idea of that as well. It’s just more and more restrictions. I’d rather have neither P&S or a salary cap, just go back to how things used to be where clubs could spend what their owners could afford to. The key for me is making sure the owners aren’t dodgy and leave a club in trouble when they sell up. As a poster above alluded to, the most important thing is improving the fit and proper test.

A salary cap in the Championship without one in the Prem just makes it harder for Champilnship clubs to keep hold of their better players.

If Derby are restricted to offering Louie Sibley a maximum of say 15k a week but a prem club can rock up and offer him 50k a week we are even further away from being able to compete.

The salary cap should be introduced in the Prem first and then the championship and so on.

Just now, MackworthRamIsGod said:

A salary cap in the Championship without one in the Prem just makes it harder for Champilnship clubs to keep hold of their better players.

If Derby are restricted to offering Louie Sibley a maximum of say 15k a week but a prem club can rock up and offer him 50k a week we are even further away from being able to compete.

The salary cap should be introduced in the Prem first and then the championship and so on.

It won’t work unless it’s universal imo. Like you say, it’s needs to be in the Prem as well - but it’ll also need to be in other countries as well. Otherwise all the decent players will piss off to Spain/Germany where they can be paid more. Needs to be a reasonable limit as well. 18m per year seems very tight in the championship to me.

44 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It’s incredible really that we’re still making such massive P&S losses, despite not really making a net transfer loss in any season since the Clement one. I mean it must all come down to wages, but still it feels like it’s almost impossible to remain within the FFP regulations and actually compete. They really need looking at and loosening - or, better still, get rid of them altogether and let teams spend what they want to.

Wasn’t the Lampard season a loss maker in terms of transfers? Didn’t we make 9 signings??

37 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

There was a report this week that the EFL think they have a majority willing to vote for an 18m salary cap. 

What they can't get the clubs to agree on though is whether the cap should be instead of P&S or as well as P&S. 

(in League 1 and 2 they chose to replace P&S with the salary cap.) 

£18m is a bit low.

6310CD41-1F92-487D-A2FD-9B99C2656414.thumb.jpeg.ac6e71d8a5bb032a097faabbd5c4ed91.jpeg

1 hour ago, Needlesh said:

If Mel wanted to sink still more of his wealth into the club, and I won't blame him one jot if he didn't, then just technically, couldn't he find a foreign club and make a reciprocal arrangement with their owner to invest in each others clubs to the tune of the £6 mentioned above?

Or buy a foreign club as a vehicle to buy players and move them to Derby, or buy Derby's offcasts then loan them out?

I'm not advocating for anything of the sort, just asking if there aren't ways and means of circumventing these silly rules?

Im sure if any club sank to those desperate measures the EFL would be on to them like a ton of bricks.

Even more so if the foreign club owner was a world class drug dealer and football match fixer.

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, RamNut said:

£18m is a bit low.

6310CD41-1F92-487D-A2FD-9B99C2656414.thumb.jpeg.ac6e71d8a5bb032a097faabbd5c4ed91.jpeg

that's depressing reading when you think the team that should have beat QPR at Wembley was on about 11 million a year. 

1 hour ago, Needlesh said:

I was in favour of FFP when all this stuf came in. I thought it would stop clubs getting lumbered with bad owners and the fans getting hurt. Wigan, Bury, Bolton and another example or two every year have nade ne rethink that.

Simon Jordan had it right on that Talk Sport interview that was posted the other day...fit and proper owners test needs to work, then let those owners run their club their way.

Also stop owners making loans to their club. When things go pear-shaped and the owner wants out then failure to pay back the loan can and has brought clubs down.

13 minutes ago, Bwash_Ram said:

Im sure in every report ive seen of our finances we posted a profit of £14M odd last year so we should be able to lose an average of

£26-27m this season and next

That profit was from the club accounts in 17/18. It was equivalent to a P&S profit of £7.2m. 18/19 was a confirmed P&S loss of £31.5m

Edit: it wasn’t a confirmed loss, it was a forecast from the club as of 29/03/19. A lot would have changed from that point, mostly due to coronavirus.

13 minutes ago, Bwash_Ram said:

Im sure in every report ive seen of our finances we posted a profit of £14M odd last year so we should be able to lose an average of

£26-27m this season and next

No. That profit was in 17/18 and due to stadium sale

The efl report includes the figure the club provided of losses in 18/19 which is 31.5mn

Archived