Have we ever played Torquay Utd?

oldtimeram

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

Does anyone know?  I've a soft spot for Torquay and in all the years they were in the football league I never remember us having played them

Just asking out of curiosity

Nice view of the match from the mini platform half way up the light pylons (50s 60s). Copper used to say we'd be in big trouble if we fell on him. Ground was rammed (pun) in those days. Nowadays the gates are so low social distancing would not be an issue.

7 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

As I thought, never competitively.  I missed hearing about the friendly fixture altogether. I may have been on holiday in Torquay at the time lol

It's on of the pooper towns down here. Teignmouth just down the coasts much nicer

2 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Because it's a holiday town, they always played on a Saturday evening so the locals could go. Their result was announced on MOTD so we all followed them to an extent.

Because it was holiday change over day it was hoped a few more tourists would have settled in and look for a match. Never popular with away teams. If I recall correctly Torquay were first team to play at night on a Saturday. Also have a memory they tried Friday nights as well but can't find any evidence of that.

Archived