Duane Holmes, what is his best position?

Day

5 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

An 8 for me, box to box, he does the defensive side very well and can bring move the ball forward beating a man or two ready for a 10.  

As for Messi, I did not include Him in that list on purpose, is he a 9 ? a 10? A 7 as he prefers the righ wing ? He is just a genius, numero uno.

Looking forward to seeing Messi tomorrow night. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Crazy said:

Box to box midfielder. High work rate, able to carry the ball, but also track back and help out. Right hand side of midfield in a 433. Not sure that formation gets the best out of the rest of the squad. But then again, I'm not sure what formation gets the best out of 6 or 7 centre mids.

That’s the thing. He can tackle, he is determined, he can beat a man. I love him as footballer. The skill and the tenacity. He hasn’t got Sibley explosive quality and might not read the game as Bird is obviously learning to do with some aplomb; but he is an engine room that can be a catalyst to stuff all through midfield. Didn’t get his form back after his injury so looked a bit pale as season ended but I am always happy to see his name on the starting 11. 

In a midfield three, I think he’d be excellent paired with Sibley and Bielik/Bird playing behind him.

You want him carrying the ball in the middle of the park with other around him. Has the sort of nippy speed that suits playing one-two’s with other midfielders and playing off a target man. He can turn someone inside out with his dribbling at his best, the more often you can get him running at a CB one on one the better.

Not quite the consistent end product you’d want for a no.10. You only have to look at him and then look at Sibley to see that he doesn’t get enough shots off. Can score a decent goal but wouldn’t want to rely on him to be scoring a lot.

So many options in our midfield next year, we have one of the best engine rooms in the league.

43 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

So many options in our midfield next year, we have one of the best engine rooms in the league.

It's going to be really interesting. The choice may be dependent on the match but do we stick with 4-2-3-1 or go to Cocu's preferred 4-3-3?

Assuming no incoming players, in 4-2-3-1, I'd go:

Bird.  Bielik

X.           Sibley.     Lawrence

Where X = Holmes/Waggy/Rooney/Knight

Or 4-3-3, which is even more difficult to fit them all in:

Holmes   Bielik    Bird. 

Sibley.  Marriott   Lawrence

Highly mobile, interchanging front three. I'd be excited by that.

2 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Everyone who says he's best at picking it up from deep on the turn is bang on. He's not a number ten, but he's at his best when he's driving into the number 10 position. One hell of a player if we use him correctly.

Where does that fit into our formation though, that's the problem. He's not a holding midfielder, and he's also not productive up top, so can he fit into the team?

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Where does that fit into our formation though, that's the problem. He's not a holding midfielder, and he's also not productive up top, so can he fit into the team?

That’s the dilemma. As some have said, he’s probably best in a 4-3-3. Whether we’ll play that next season or not, I don’t know.

Edit: I also seem to remember his best performance of the season being in a flat midfield four after Bielik got sent off against Charlton.

12 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

That’s the dilemma. As some have said, he’s probably best in a 4-3-3. Whether we’ll play that next season or not, I don’t know.

Edit: I also seem to remember his best performance of the season being in a flat midfield four after Bielik got sent off against Charlton.

The thing is, can you fit in a tidy footballer who doesn't offer too much at either end? For example with Will Hughes, he offered enough that you definitely could but I'm not sure with Duane Holmes.

12 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The thing is, can you fit in a tidy footballer who doesn't offer too much at either end? For example with Will Hughes, he offered enough that you definitely could but I'm not sure with Duane Holmes.

Holmes is more than tidy IMO. He can be a real difference maker when it comes to turning defence/possession football into attack. We just have to use him correctly.

5 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Holmes is more than tidy IMO. He can be a real difference maker when it comes to turning defence/possession football into attack. We just have to use him correctly.

Rarely, though. I agree on the odd occasion he can be a match winner but it's few and far between unfortunately - for example Sibley will be much more effective more often, Bird is more consistently good, Knight is more productive, where does Duane fit in most of the time? I'd like to see him as a squad player, but I can't see him as a starter, there is no point where I see him as a first choice above the rest. 

On the bench , perfect to come on if we are being over run in midfield, not sure he has quite enough to nail down his own position and will suffer from the fact it’s hard to pick his best position but in a squad game he is worth his weight as he has the ability and attitude to come on and do a job for you when you need to tweek things or change up

14 hours ago, Curtains said:

The attacking playmakers are sometimes called the "number 10" of the team, as they often wear the number 10 jersey. The attacking midfield playmaker will sit in a free role between the midfield and the forwards, either in the centre of the pitch or on either flank.

Now try without Wikipedia!

Whichever role allows him to have maximum involvement in our attacking play without ever giving him the opportunity to be the one with the goalscoring chance ?

I think we've seen the best of him when he'd been part of a proper central 3.  Not quiet a No.10, more like a No.8, when he's able break from the half way into space.  Sibley is a lot better as a No.10, so I can only see him playing when Cocu wants to sit in against teams and counter.

Archived