Midfield next season

Igorwasking

Thinking about the trio of Sibley, Bird and Knight - got me to comparing the three against Hendrick, Hughes and Thorne.

Do you think Cocu Might switch to 4-3-3 next season and use Rooney from the bench - making these three the engine of the team for the next few seasons?

Would enable Bielik to drop into the back four which would allow for higher investment in the front line?

Thoughts?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Igorwasking said:

Thinking about the trio of Sibley, Bird and Knight - got me to comparing the three against Hendrick, Hughes and Thorne.

Do you think Cocu Might switch to 4-3-3 next season and use Rooney from the bench - making these three the engine of the team for the next few seasons?

Would enable Bielik to drop into the back four which would allow for higher investment in the front line?

Thoughts?

I think they lack the experience to be our first choice midfield. Sibley and Knight in particular benefit from being coached through games in terms of defensive positioning. I think this trio will be limited to just a few games throughout the season. If we're still in this league beyond that, then they'll be our starting midfield 3. Another season of development if we get promotion

It would be a positive move which suits knight.

bird is going to have to up his game to secure the sole holding role ahead of the record signing.

the problem is finding two wide players better than TL and Waghorn.
Unless we have good wide players to bring in there wouldn’t be much point in changing, and we would presumably stick with 4231

will Cocu pick knight and Sibley over holmes? 
I hope so because they have more goal threat. 

Sibley, Bird, Knight, Rooney, Bielik, Shinnie, Holmes, Evans and at push Lawrence. Jordan Brown is also close to being ready for the first team.

We have plenty of midfielders, but I don't think many of them would suit 4-3-3 as well as 4-2-3-1. Actually, we could, and probably should, sell at least one of them.

I doubt it. I don’t see Cocu moving away from his preferred 4231 to be honest. I’m not sure Knight is ready to be a regular starter yet anyway, he’s more of a rotation option at the moment, so I think it’s probably too soon for the Bird, Knight, Sibley midfield trio. Maybe in a couple of years time. There’s no way Rooney doesn’t start somewhere either. He’s been bang out of form since the break, but hopefully with games more spread out next season he’ll be back to his best. I mean, he’s still Wayne Rooney - a former world class player like he is always has a place In a team at our level.

Bielik is the more interesting one. I’m still not quite sure where he will fit in when he returns from injury. We seem to want to keep Clarke as CB partner to Te Weirik so I can’t see him playing there. That means he will Likely come into that midfield two somewhere.

1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

Sibley, Bird, Knight, Rooney, Bielik, Shinnie, Holmes, Evans and at push Lawrence. Jordan Brown is also close to being ready for the first team.

We have plenty of midfielders, but I don't think many of them would suit 4-3-3 as well as 4-2-3-1. Actually, we could, and probably should, sell at least one of them.

Assuming the standard 2 players per position and everyone fully fit, which 6 do you go for?

Bird, Knight Sibley, Bielik, Rooney are all certainties, leaving one spot between Shinnie Holmes and Evans. Holmes seems the likely one.
Obviously Bielik won't be fit for a while so Shinnie comes in. Evans waits until there's an injury crisis at CB of DM.

I don't think Bird is ready to play a holding one yet.

Not convinced by Bielik as a single holder either tbh and he's yet to come back from doing his knee.

Be interested to see Bird and Bielik holding and take your pick for the attackers, Sibley for sure probably with Lawrence and Knight/Holmes depending on form with waghorn as striker.

Rooney as and when situations make him desirable.

Shinnie as the back up General Purpose Midfielder to cover injuries, closing games out, fresh legs.

We could really do with a quality wide player.

Am I right in thinking we haven't yet got Martin next season although everyone expects him and the club to agree something?

1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I don't think Bird is ready to play a holding one yet.

Not convinced by Bielik as a single holder either tbh and he's yet to come back from doing his knee.

Be interested to see Bird and Bielik holding and take your pick for the attackers, Sibley for sure probably with Lawrence and Knight/Holmes depending on form with waghorn as striker.

Rooney as and when situations make him desirable.

Shinnie as the back up General Purpose Midfielder to cover injuries, closing games out, fresh legs.

We could really do with a quality wide player.

Am I right in thinking we haven't yet got Martin next season although everyone expects him and the club to agree something?

That's right, although I expect he'll leave.

Rooney will continue to play a key role in the team, as he has this season. I don’t understand the criticism that’s starting to trickle out. 

A lot of players are now starting to look leggy, with the Covid situation and rush to end the season it won’t have been easy on them. Rooney included.

Let’s not forget he’s come over from the Micky Mouse league which would have been nowhere near as competitive as the Championship is. 

The impact he has had on this time is unbelievable and I honestly can’t wait to start next season with us all on 0 points and see how far we can go.

2 minutes ago, David said:

Rooney will continue to play a key role in the team, as he has this season. I don’t understand the criticism that’s starting to trickle out. 

A lot of players are now starting to look leggy, with the Covid situation and rush to end the season it won’t have been easy on them. Rooney included.

Let’s not forget he’s come over from the Micky Mouse league which would have been nowhere near as competitive as the Championship is. 

The impact he has had on this time is unbelievable and I honestly can’t wait to start next season with us all on 0 points and see how far we can go.

Except Wednesday of course. They'll get a tasty points deduction

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Assuming the standard 2 players per position and everyone fully fit, which 6 do you go for?

Bird, Knight Sibley, Bielik, Rooney are all certainties, leaving one spot between Shinnie Holmes and Evans. Holmes seems the likely one.
Obviously Bielik won't be fit for a while so Shinnie comes in. Evans waits until there's an injury crisis at CB of DM.

It's tough question as I do like all of them... 

If we continue with 4-2-3-1 I'd like to see Bielik-Rooney in the bottom and Bird in more attacking role. Also, I'd try Sibley on the right, see if he could adapt to play on the wing. Knight on the left and all of a sudden there's not too many players!

If Sibley on the right wouldn't work out, he'd take the Bird's place in the middle. And as Max is way too good prospect to be sat on the bench, I'd be tempted to sell him. Unpopular opinion for sure, but we could afford it and he would command a hefty fee.

Bielik needs to play as our team is lacking height and aerial power so, so much.

15 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

It's tough question as I do like all of them... 

If we continue with 4-2-3-1 I'd like to see Bielik-Rooney in the bottom and Bird in more attacking role. Also, I'd try Sibley on the right, see if he could adapt to play on the wing. Knight on the left and all of a sudden there's not too many players!

If Sibley on the right wouldn't work out, he'd take the Bird's place in the middle. And as Max is way too good prospect to be sat on the bench, I'd be tempted to sell him. Unpopular opinion for sure, but we could afford it and he would command a hefty fee.

Bielik needs to play as our team is lacking height and aerial power so, so much.

In a 4231, it would be Bielik and Bird at the base, backed up with Shinnie and Rooney. In front of those would be an interchanging Lawrence, Sibley and new RW. Knight being used in rotation with those 3. Holmes as cover.

In a 433, Bielik, Bird and Sibley, with Bird in the 'Hughes role'. Knight being used in rotation with Bird, Sibley and our wingers. Backed up by Rooney, Shinnie and Holmes. A bit of a shuffle if Bielik is unavailable.

I find it interesting that throughout his time out injured Bielik has apparently become a much better defender. When he was at Charlton on loan he was ordinary at centreback, but transformed their promotion challenge when moved into midfield. When he started out with us Cocu played him as a centre half because he wasn't fit enough for midfield, but it was only when he moved into midfield that we began to see his qualities and why he could well be worth a record transfer fee. He's not a particularly special defender - Evans is much better there.

I would be gutted if we waste Bielik's ability and potential by playing him in defence to shoehorn others into the team. All being well he will still only be properly fit in 2021 and it will be a natural progression to see him get more game time as next season progresses and Rooney tires. Or maybe we'll have sold Bird to Chelsea?

3 hours ago, David said:

Forgot that he had played in the SPL ?

5 hours ago, Igorwasking said:

I think Knight will continue as a backup inside forward rather than CM - Give him a couple of years to work his way into that position

I think our 6 CMs next year will be Rooney, Bird, Shinnie, Sibley, Bielik and Holmes

If we add another CM I suspect another creative player to play further up the pitch would be the most important - Being able to play Bielik holding and another energetic AM alongside Sibley would be good when we're chasing the game (although I suppose that is Holmes...)

I would forget about Bielik as an option until he can actually prove his fitness.

Let’s not forget that before his major injury in January, he had broken down several times in the months prior.

I don’t think anyone is criticising Rooney. We all understand what a wonderful player he is, but the question is whether he is compatible with the team we want to build. Physically I just don’t think he offers what we need.

If the last four games haven’t illuminated that, I imagine when we are pressed to death by Leeds, that will.

Archived