Midfield next season

Igorwasking

With all midfielders fit, I can see Bird and Bielik holding with Rooney in front in the number 10 role with a diminishing number of appearances as the season goes on to accommodate Sibley. The problem we have is we have a lot of centre mids, but not enough wide players, so the incomings to those areas will likely have an impact on the midfield. 

When discussing the Rooney signing, Cocu thought he would be the creative player, but injuries and suspensions forced him to play deeper. Sibley has burst onto the scene, but managing him through a season will be wise. This all means that Rooney is likely to play slightly further forward, as I expect Cocu to bring in quick wide players to help stretch the opposition vertically and help generate the spaces between midfield and defence. 

Bielik was brought in for big money, and just before his injury was starting to look like a player who would command that fee. We must remember that he is also a young player and will only improve with playing time so when Rooney is phased out, Bielik and Bird behind Sibley will be the starting team. 

Next season, with a couple of key additions, I think we will announce ourselves as serious contenders and our central midfield options will be the envy of the league. The proposed trio mentioned above doesn’t take into account Knight, Shinnie, or Holmes who would be able to command a starting spot in the majority of teams in the league. 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived