Test Cricket is Back

sage

I had to leave the cricket for work with Buttler and Woakes at about 50 partnership. When I turned phone back on we’d won the game. And the delight at Buttler and Woakes having played fantastic cricket, and that’s what it was, sorry to disappoint the Buttler Out campaign, was difficult to hide. Buttler is as ferocious as Stokes on his day with the bat and do you not think he’s aware he’s had a poor time behind the stumps. So to all you DCFC supporting frustrated selectors, Jos would like to offer you liam gallagher oasis GIF

6 minutes ago, SKRam said:

I had to leave the cricket for work with Buttler and Woakes at about 50 partnership. When I turned phone back on we’d won the game. And the delight at Buttler and Woakes having played fantastic cricket, and that’s what it was, sorry to disappoint the Buttler Out campaign, was difficult to hide. Buttler is as ferocious as Stokes on his day with the bat and do you not think he’s aware he’s had a poor time behind the stumps. So to all you DCFC supporting frustrated selectors, Jos would like to offer you liam gallagher oasis GIF

It's really lazy thinking to suggest all questions have been answered. 

His mistake cost us the First Test v the Windies and it almost cost us this Test. He would have even got a bat this 2nd innings if he had done his job with the gloves. His runs today create an argument for him playing in the next test but not as keeper. 

Foakes is a far better keeper, has a better Test batting record and a better First Class batting record.  

However, you will get what you want in the next Test as some people are undroppable.  

1 hour ago, sage said:

It's really lazy thinking to suggest all questions have been answered. 

His mistake cost us the First Test v the Windies and it almost cost us this Test. He would have even got a bat this 2nd innings if he had done his job with the gloves. His runs today create an argument for him playing in the next test but not as keeper. 

Foakes is a far better keeper, has a better Test batting record and a better First Class batting record.  

However, you will get what you want in the next Test as some people are undroppable.  

Well considering the number of test matches he’s played it’s pretty easy to say his test figures are better. Most players with that few caps will have better figures due to how the averages work. If it were possible, asking the England players and more importantly, as they’d be impartial, opponents, who they regard as a more dangerous opponent I’d lay money it’d be on Jos. No one has mentioned Stokes  or Anderson drops this test match. Picking him out, as a keeper considering their workload is unfair in my humble. His father was taken ill on Friday. I wish some folk would accept these guys are human with human frailties at times. If he was failing every time he kept wicket he would not be in the England team  

He made 3 big mistakes in one Test. It is part of a pattern. Foakes is a much better keeper with a better average in both Test and First Class cricket. Yes his Test career only consists of 5 matches but why drop him when he made such a good start.

He was in possession and was dropped in favour of Buttler. 

The stats suggest that over the last 3 years Buttler has 35 run a Test negative impact on the team in terms of his keeping. The worst of all the current Test keepers.

I'm not saying he is an awful cricketer and absolutely should be in the ODI and T20 teams but Foakes is simply a better keeper.

Edited by sage

47 minutes ago, sage said:

He made 3 big mistakes in one Test. It is part of a pattern. Foakes is a much better keeper with a better average in both Test and First Class cricket. Yes his Test career only consists of 5 matches but why drop him when he made such a good start.

He was in possession and was dropped in favour of Buttler. 

The stats suggest that over the last 3 years Buttler has 35 run a Test negative impact on the team in terms of his keeping. The worst of all the current Test keepers.

I'm not saying he is an awful cricketer and absolutely should be in the ODI and T20 teams but Foakes is simply a better keeper.

We’re a batsman light. Bringing in Foakes and having Buttler as a batsman doesn’t change that for me. We need Crawley back and we need to lose a bowler. Whisper it but I think that bowler should be Anderson. 

3 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

We’re a batsman light. Bringing in Foakes and having Buttler as a batsman doesn’t change that for me. We need Crawley back and we need to lose a bowler. Whisper it but I think that bowler should be Anderson. 

They won't drop Buttler after that innings. Not brave enough.

Anderson should have been rested for this game in a pacy pitch with mainly sunny conditions. 

They will rest him at Soton and it will be cloudy 

3 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Stokes unavailable. 

just to make it more complicated. 

I think that simplifies things from a selection point of view.

Crawley comes in at 3 with Root & Pope at 4 & 5.

I would be tempted to bring Sam Curran in to bat 8 and offer a bit of his golden left arm.

35 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I think that simplifies things from a selection point of view.

Crawley comes in at 3 with Root & Pope at 4 & 5.

I would be tempted to bring Sam Curran in to bat 8 and offer a bit of his golden left arm.

You might be right. Which of the seemers would miss out? I’m still inclined towards Anderson. 

What a fantastic advert for test cricket that was. I do enjoy limited over stuff but for me the slow burn and twists and turns of the 5 day game make it by far the best form of the game. I think that result will have been an absolute body-blow to Pakistan. Without Stokes it may prove harder but the series is teed up beautifully now.

On the subject of Buttler, I agree with @sage I'm full of admiration for the way Jos batted yesterday but he was really poor behind the stumps and has never looked a natural to me. His first movement always seems to be his hands and not his body and that leaves him snatching at chances and he's at a stage now where his keeping won't be improving.

I think that because he's such a prodigious talent in the one day game, we've almost tried to fashion him into a test player but I reckon Foakes is the brightest prospect behind the stumps we've seen in a fair while and though it might be a tough call, he really needs to be given his chance. I suppose it's a nice problem to have but I think Root and the selectors are still coming up with the wrong answer and Jos' great batting yesterday will only further paper over the cracks. Jos for limited overs but Foakes for tests seems the obvious call fo me but what do I know!