Test Cricket is Back

sage

I think Root has had a poor day. Pakistan had lost 3 fairly quick wickets in the morning session to the seam bowlers so what does he do on the resumption - bowls himself and Bess with the new ball due soon, they go for 4 an over,  thereby allowing the 2 batsmen to settle themselves in again and clock up a century partnership.

Not much better with the bat. Gets a reprieve after he'd padded up to a ball outside the off stump which just goes over the top. Then, with the first 3 batsmen back in the pavilion and only 60 odd on the board, he tries to cut a ball which was much too close to him.

He needs a better day tomorrow or England, yet again, will lose the first test of a series.

10 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

I think Root has had a poor day. Pakistan had lost 3 fairly quick wickets in the morning session to the seam bowlers so what does he do on the resumption - bowls himself and Bess with the new ball due soon, they go for 4 an over,  thereby allowing the 2 batsmen to settle themselves in again and clock up a century partnership.

Not much better with the bat. Gets a reprieve after he'd padded up to a ball outside the off stump which just goes over the top. Then, with the first 3 batsmen back in the pavilion and only 60 odd on the board, he tries to cut a ball which was much too close to him.

He needs a better day tomorrow or England, yet again, will lose the first test of a series.

Root is a poor captain.

Things on the field happen in spite of his captaincy, not because of it.

He reviews in ridiculous circumstances, bowls Broad and Anderson too long and posts too defensive fields. But to be fair to him, he hasn’t always been helped by his team. Our bowlers are great when conditions are in their favour but when it stops moving around they struggle. Bowlers at 80 mph are easy when it’s straight up and down.

Bess should not be in the team. If your spinner is not high quality don’t pick one. The openers are the best we have, but technically they have faults which the top teams will exploit.

I’m a huge fan of Buttler, but in terms of test cricket, I think he’s probably the third best we have behind Foakes and Bairstow.

I also feel a bit for Archer, who has been massively over-hyped. 

My £10 on Pakistan at 7-2 is looking good though.

12 minutes ago, sage said:

As much as they have been better than us, if we had a proper keeper we may have actually had a first innings lead. 

One of the commentators just said (as Pakistan picked up 4 byes) that Buttler has had a difficult time behind the stumps and I couldn't help but blurt out, 'That's because he's not very good.'

5 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

One of the commentators just said (as Pakistan picked up 4 byes) that Buttler has had a difficult time behind the stumps and I couldn't help but blurt out, 'That's because he's not very good.'

I saw a stat on the BBC cricket feed that ranks a keepers contribution to the team whilst keeping.

It stated that the best keeper in Test cricket added 20 runs per Test match. Buttler is the worst rated regular Test keeper in the world. He costs the team on average 35 runs per Test. 55 runs a Test worse that the best keeper.

He doesn’t score anything like enough runs to make that up.

The daft thing is that the commonly accepted best gloveman in the country, Ben Foakes, has a higher (40+) test average than Buttler and a higher (40+) first class average than Buttler, who gets picked on his one day game and a misguided fantasy about what he "could" do in test cricket.

38 minutes ago, Carnero said:

The daft thing is that the commonly accepted best gloveman in the country, Ben Foakes, has a higher (40+) test average than Buttler and a higher (40+) first class average than Buttler, who gets picked on his one day game and a misguided fantasy about what he "could" do in test cricket.

I just get the feeling tomorrow may be his last chance. Fail with the bat and I don't think he'll play in the next one. 

Well, there was a fightback from England with the ball. You have to wonder how much they depend on Stokes, or rather, how lost without him the test side would be.

But I would say it's in the balance, although I'd still make Pakistan favourite and every little bit makes England's job harder. The tail gets another 10-15 it all just hurts that bit more.