13 years ago today.....

Mafiabob

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Absolutely. Jewell had the insane belief that we needed to sell every player to remove the stain of that relegation...

I never understand why Jewell gets an easier ride from the fans than Billy, Jewell was a poorman's Tommy Doc.!!! An utterly appalling appointment - the sort that highlights what Pearson might have done given time!

3 hours ago, Paul71 said:

I can't recall who it was we were trying to make our marquee signing, a striker est £6 million....think he went to Sunderland. And we got Earnshaw and later Millar.

We then signed Eddie Lewis, did Andy Todd sign in the summer too?

Shocking....

Bookies had lowish odds on us not winning at all we were obviously that bad, and very nearly happened.

To think we did ok at home to Portsmouth, played ok away to Man City i think it was with Pearson missing a great chance to put us 1-0 up....then the likes of liverpool came long....

Then in typical Billy style after we put in a spirited performance against Chelsea with a clear foul on Barnes i think it was that wasn't given then they went and scored he decides to take the opportunity rather than praise them for an unlucky defeat to go public about how crap a squad he had built and slag the Chairman off publically, may as well of said 'Please sack me on monday i have built a shocking team, i'd rather get a pay off and clear off thanks'.

Billy should have been shown the door when he made the play off final after match comments, something along the lines "it should have been Preston...."  

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I never understand why Jewell gets an easier ride from the fans than Billy, Jewell was a poorman's Tommy Doc.!!! An utterly appalling appointment - the sort that highlights what Pearson might have done given time!

People were mad about Billy for his "I wish it was Preston", I'm going to argue about contract for three weeks instead of trying to get the team ready for the prem, his ranting about the board, his "smoke and mirrors" behavior.....

Bbut, you are absolutely right, as a manager, Paul Jewell was far worse for us. Just unspeakably dog poo. We should've 100% pumped him out as soon as the last ball was kicked on that season - stain of failure was darkest upon him. He signed Robbie Savage thinking he was the personality to save us without actually asking anyone who knew him who'd have told him "Sav's really insecure and you've got to give him lots of encouragement and then he's an OK player", sold the decent players for naff all, paid over the odds for some OK championship players and then decided to basically continue with they style and attitude that had failed to win a single PL game. At least under Billy that season they tried but weren't anywhere near the level, under Jewell they all gave up trying....before the car bonnet incident....

20 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

People were mad about Billy for his "I wish it was Preston", I'm going to argue about contract for three weeks instead of trying to get the team ready for the prem, his ranting about the board, his "smoke and mirrors" behaviour...

Yeah, but not much difference to getting pissed off with Mac and the Newcastle dance.

Jewell was worse than a car crash. 

34 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Probably because Jewell was easier to 'like'. Same reason Venables and Keegan were popular England managers but Hoddle wasnt.

Do remember Jewell's stock being high when he joined us. He'd done a great job at Wigan (and Bradford before that) but Pearson should have paid more attention to the failure at Sheff Weds. Basically, he was a small club manager & looked utterly clueless and run down very early into his reign. Very unpopular view I know but we needed an 'up & at 'em' type like Warnock to at least grab some respectability. I'm sure I heard Gadsby had him lined up if Davies had lost at Wembley.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah, but not much difference to getting pissed off with Mac and the Newcastle dance.

I do remember Mac got a lot of hate at the time, was kind of patched up a bit after he'd got Newcastle relegated and returned for Mac2. There were the same but kind of different - Mac was offered the Newcastle job but wanted it at the end of the season and tried to keep both sides sweet as the promotion challenge turned to ashes in front of our eyes, Billy just liked to use public positioning as leverage to get what he wanted.

5 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Don Amott said on a podcast the other day that, after Billy had been sacked, we were close to appointing Paul Ince.

Never heard that before. He was at MK Franchise at the time in League Two (with one season of managerial experience under his belt) so it would've been quite a jump.

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Absolutely. Jewell had the insane belief that we needed to sell every player to remove the stain of that relegation...that was his reason for selling David Jones.

You could also tell from Oakley & Howard's ovation of the Derby fans at PP on their next visit (which so incensed Leics as they didnt clap the away support) that they didnt willingly leave.

Howard and Oakley to Leicester, Fagan to Hull, loaned out Bywater, Teale and Pearson in the January, Moore Jones sold in the summer, we failed to get rid of Leacock and he forced his way back in, Mears was injured but didn’t last long the following season, McEveley loaned out not long into 08/09 and Camara barely featured. 

It was so weird 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's not really a contest. Jewell is the worst manager I can remember at Derby, not only for the poor performance but for the amount of damage he did by dismantling everything that made us a competitive championship side and saddling us with a bloated over-payed squad.

Davies for all his faults got a mediocre Derby side to perform above their level and got them promoted.

30 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Probably because Jewell was easier to 'like'. Same reason Venables and Keegan were popular England managers but Hoddle wasnt.

Do remember Jewell's stock being high when he joined us. He'd done a great job at Wigan (and Bradford before that) but Pearson should have paid more attention to the failure at Sheff Weds. Basically, he was a small club manager & looked utterly clueless and run down very early into his reign. Very unpopular view I know but we needed an 'up & at 'em' type like Warnock to at least grab some respectability. I'm sure I heard Gadsby had him lined up if Davies had lost at Wembley.

I think you are spot on here, Warnock at the time wouldn't have been able to save us but I think he would have galvanised to a point were we came out of the season with a shred of dignity and prepared us to regroup and reform when in the championship.

44 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Absolutely. Appointing someone like Jewell at that time, was an act of gross negligence by the DCFC board (I think Adam Pearson was running the club at that point). It took Nigel a fair few years just to get the club back on an even keel. Looking back, he worked wonders. 

3 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I watched Davis play a couple of times for Sheffield United and he was terrific. Billy Davies must have seen the same two games.

Twice? I don’t believe that. 

Davis should have been brought in to replace an ageing Moore and Johnson. Instead he was used beside them along with Todd (more of the same) and Leacock (with the best of intentions was out of his depth but the only slight bit of pace we had). Essentially he was a clogger surrounded by other cloggers.

13 years since that season is mad and still so many unanswered questions come from it. Also there’s barely ever been an apology to the fans for the embarrassment we were put through from those that were involved (maybe Jewell did at the time). As fans we’ve bore the brunt of it even though we had the least to do with the outcome. Davies et al have all pointed fingers the other way, it’d be nice if one day someone could just come out and say ‘we underestimated what the premier league was and because of that we let the fans down. They and the club deserved more’.

17 hours ago, Paul71 said:

I can't recall who it was we were trying to make our marquee signing, a striker est £6 million....think he went to Sunderland. And we got Earnshaw and later Millar.

We then signed Eddie Lewis, did Andy Todd sign in the summer too?

Shocking....

Bookies had lowish odds on us not winning at all we were obviously that bad, and very nearly happened.

To think we did ok at home to Portsmouth, played ok away to Man City i think it was with Pearson missing a great chance to put us 1-0 up....then the likes of liverpool came long....

Then in typical Billy style after we put in a spirited performance against Chelsea with a clear foul on Barnes i think it was that wasn't given then they went and scored he decides to take the opportunity rather than praise them for an unlucky defeat to go public about how crap a squad he had built and slag the Chairman off publically, may as well of said 'Please sack me on monday i have built a shocking team, i'd rather get a pay off and clear off thanks'.

We tried to get Jhon Viafara from Southampton as well. 

Archived