13 years ago today.....

Mafiabob

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think it was clear we tried to get much better than we ended up with, for whatever reason.

I find it hard to believe that we could have got better quality than Claude and Eddie. We would have been better off with Charles and Eddie. Jesus wept. What a season of lowlights that was. For me though the Reading performance on the last day was the one that tipped me over the edge. It was a disgraceful abomination and all on the pitch should have been made to refund the lot of us. Didn’t Kenny Misser get chased across the car park after the game? Probably the only time he ran all day if he did. If ever booing was appropriate at a football match then that was it. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a mostly-suppressed memory of Clod and Bob Malcolm forming the worst central defensive partnership of all time at some point. Can anyone confirm if this actually happened or whether it was a bizarre nightmare.

1 minute ago, ITSD said:

I've got a mostly-suppressed memory of Clod and Bob Malcolm forming the worst central defensive partnership of all time at some point. Can anyone confirm if this actually happened or whether it was a bizarre nightmare.

My recollection was that it was mainly Moore & Davis.

Malcolm was more of a holding midfielder, along with Super Andy Todd.

18 minutes ago, ITSD said:

15 minutes ago, Carnero said:

My recollection was that it was mainly Moore & Davis.

Malcolm was more of a holding midfielder, along with Super Andy Todd.

Malcolm's one and only premier league appearance was against Liverpool (same as Mo Camara) 

18 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

People were mad about Billy for his "I wish it was Preston", I'm going to argue about contract for three weeks instead of trying to get the team ready for the prem, his ranting about the board, his "smoke and mirrors" behavior.....

Bbut, you are absolutely right, as a manager, Paul Jewell was far worse for us. Just unspeakably dog poo. We should've 100% pumped him out as soon as the last ball was kicked on that season - stain of failure was darkest upon him. He signed Robbie Savage thinking he was the personality to save us without actually asking anyone who knew him who'd have told him "Sav's really insecure and you've got to give him lots of encouragement and then he's an OK player", sold the decent players for naff all, paid over the odds for some OK championship players and then decided to basically continue with they style and attitude that had failed to win a single PL game. At least under Billy that season they tried but weren't anywhere near the level, under Jewell they all gave up trying....before the car bonnet incident....

Weren't the owners trying to sell that season and reluctant to spend any money? Not arguing against Jewell being poor but don't think we could have done much better than Savage at that time.

3 minutes ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

Weren't the owners trying to sell that season and reluctant to spend any money? Not arguing against Jewell being poor but don't think we could have done much better than Savage at that time.

We spent a ton on wages getting savage in, the tight board situation was more applicable to summer before. Jewell faced no one wanted to come here, but my point with Savage was he really didn't understand the character savage is and didn't seem to have bothered finding out.

24 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

We spent a ton on wages getting savage in, the tight board situation was more applicable to summer before. Jewell faced no one wanted to come here, but my point with Savage was he really didn't understand the character savage is and didn't seem to have bothered finding out.

I'm sure I read an interview where Savage said that Jewell completely misunderstood what type of player he was. Savage basically admitted to being a water carrier for better players around him and said that Jewell somehow thought Savage could be a playmaker.

There was a lot made of the new American investors being very wealthy, but as we saw over the next few years very little of that wealth ever made it through GSE to Derby. I think the decision had already been made that it would be a mistake to try and spend much in the January window as we were obviously doomed.

2 hours ago, ITSD said:

I've had a hunt around and I think it was the Preston FA Cup game I was thinking of. Line up was: Price, Edworthy, Davis, Todd (Barnes 46), Nyatanga, Ghaly, Savage, Pearson, Lewis (Teale 24), Miller, Villa (Earnshaw 46). Jesus wept.

20 hours ago, Mckram said:

I’ll never forget how he used to head a ball.

He would put his head down and then flick it up meaning there was absolutely no guarantee where the ball would end up! 

That's just what I remember, me and my mates nicknamed him 50p head for that. 

10 hours ago, ITSD said:

I've had a hunt around and I think it was the Preston FA Cup game I was thinking of. Line up was: Price, Edworthy, Davis, Todd (Barnes 46), Nyatanga, Ghaly, Savage, Pearson, Lewis (Teale 24), Miller, Villa (Earnshaw 46). Jesus wept.

That team cost £15m 

they must be have been pretty good.

I still remain unconvinced that the team we ended up with in the prem would beat the team we got promoted with.

Archived