Live football thread.

Rev

57 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

What will you do if we draw Qatar? 

Send the kids up ladders to fix the roof for a few pennies and become raging homophobics? ?

I certainly would not be sending kids up ladders to fix roofs, according to the latest working at heights regs you can only work off ladders unless it’s impractical to use any other forms of working at height equipment with fall arrest safety procedures in place even then a risk assessment has to be done by a qualified person before a ladder could be used.
Also they would have to be trained in the latest LOLER & PUWER regs if all this criteria is met I don’t see why not.  ??

Edited by cstand

11 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

So you’re saying he was our best player? I’m not sure anyone else reached the heady heights of ‘ordinary’.

Absolutely - if you class his performance as ordinary it shows just how poor the rest of them were. Thought he gave a very good account of himself and was the only one to look as if he actually cared about the game - most of the others wanted to be on the beach…..

10 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Absolutely - if you class his performance as ordinary it shows just how poor the rest of them were. Thought he gave a very good account of himself and was the only one to look as if he actually cared about the game - most of the others wanted to be on the beach…..

He was a striker? Did he score, he had chances. Didn't play Kane through at one point I vaguely remember. I'm sure he's a decent Prem player, but yesterday he looked ordinary.

What's the point in bigging up the team/management they were ordinary. We were beaten by Hungary for the first time since 1962, they deserve the praise. They looked as if they could/should have scored 3 or 4 easily. The passed to each other and had a pattern of play.

Edited by RoyMac5

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Just read that Messi scored five goals against Estonia earlier.

One of the countries Ronaldo has also used to pad out his international goals haul.

They don’t have as many proper minnows in South America do they. Nothing to compare with Andorra and San Marino. So messi has that disadvantage. 

2 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

They don’t have as many proper minnows in South America do they. Nothing to compare with Andorra and San Marino. So messi has that disadvantage. 

Yeah. Ronaldo deserves all the props in the world for his record at club level, but you can’t take his international level seriously considering he has scored 40 of his goals alone against Luxembourg, Andorra, Lithuania, Armenia, Latvia and the Faroe Islands.

Interestingly, Estonia has now jumped into joint fourth place on Messi’s list of most goals against a single opposition. And he has only played against them once. 

Ronaldo, meanwhile, has only ever scored twice against teams from South America. I’m trying to think if Portugal have actually played anyone from South America at World Cups aside from Uruguay who they lost to in 2018. They always seem to get dumped out the moment they play a decent European side.

7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Yeah. Ronaldo deserves all the props in the world for his record at club level, but you can’t take his international level seriously considering he has scored 40 of his goals alone against Luxembourg, Andorra, Lithuania, Armenia, Latvia and the Faroe Islands.

Interestingly, Estonia has now jumped into joint fourth place on Messi’s list of most goals against a single opposition. And he has only played against them once. 

Ronaldo, meanwhile, has only ever scored twice against teams from South America. I’m trying to think if Portugal have actually played anyone from South America at World Cups aside from Uruguay who they lost to in 2018. They always seem to get dumped out the moment they play a decent European side.

Current FIFA top 10 - Brazil, Belgium, France, Argentina, England, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Mexico, Netherlands

Goals vs the top 10:
Messi - 7
Ronaldo - 13

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Current FIFA top 10 - Brazil, Belgium, France, Argentina, England, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Mexico, Netherlands

Goals vs the top 10:
Messi - 7
Ronaldo - 13

Hasn’t Ronaldo likely played against those sides about 4x as much?

I could be wrong but I don’t ever recall Messi playing against England for instance. 

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Goals vs the top 10:
Messi - 7
Ronaldo - 13

What have you used for stats? I get:

Messi: 
5 vs Brazil
3 vs Mexico
2 vs Spain
1 vs Germany, France and Portugal.

Ronaldo:
4 vs Netherlands
3 vs Belgium and Spain
2 vs France,
1 vs Germany and Argentina

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Hasn’t Ronaldo likely played against those sides about 4x as much?

I could be wrong but I don’t ever recall Messi playing against England for instance. 

It's much closer than you'd think. Against these 10 sides, Ronaldo has played 34 games, Messi 29.

2 hours ago, Jubbs said:

What have you used for stats? I get:

Messi: 
5 vs Brazil
3 vs Mexico
2 vs Spain
1 vs Germany, France and Portugal.

Ronaldo:
4 vs Netherlands
3 vs Belgium and Spain
2 vs France,
1 vs Germany and Argentina

I get the same, but discounting Germany since they aren't currently in the top 10.

Messi 29 games - 12 goals - 0.41 per game

Ronaldo 34 games - 13 goals - 0.38 per game

15 minutes ago, Anon said:

It's much closer than you'd think. Against these 10 sides, Ronaldo has played 34 games, Messi 29.

I'd be interested to see the other way around. How many of Ronaldo/Messi goals are vs teams outside the top 50?

For example, Ronaldo has:

9 goals vs Luxembourg (94th)
7 vs Lithuania (138th)
6 vs Andorra (153rd)
5 vs Latvia (135th) 

Nearly 25% coming against teams near rank 90 and below.

Messi's lowest are:

3 vs Guatemala (118th)
3 vs Haiti (90th)
2 vs Nicaragua (144th)
2 vs Hong Kong (147th)

Putting him at 12%

13 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

I'd be interested to see the other way around. How many of Ronaldo/Messi goals are vs teams outside the top 50?

For example, Ronaldo has:

9 goals vs Luxembourg (94th)
7 vs Lithuania (138th)
6 vs Andorra (153rd)
5 vs Latvia (135th) 

Nearly 25% coming against teams near rank 90 and below.

Messi's lowest are:

3 vs Guatemala (118th)
3 vs Haiti (90th)
2 vs Nicaragua (144th)
2 vs Hong Kong (147th)

Putting him at 12%

It’s evident that Ronaldo has played against far weaker opposition overall as the gulf in standard in Euro qualifying and South America qualifying is big.

Especially as Portugal are a seeded team so their toughest opponents are usually of the ilk of Serbia or Sweden.

Messi’s easiest opponents are Bolivia (probably the standard of say Macedonia) whereas the likes Chile, Ecuador, Colombia and Paraguay are far better than the rest of the rabble like Lichtenstein, Andorra, Luxembourg, Armenia, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia etc.

Edited by Bris Vegas